Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo 6.0 powered mud truck, weird ticking noise with vid

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the mud trucks! Wish I was back home...
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pun young
the intercooler was almost to hot to touch, we ran out of ice in the cooler, going to pull the datalog when i get it cleaned up and back to the shop and see what everything was. hopefully its something simple and we dont have to pull the motor back out
Ouch, that's HOT! Hopefully you had it pulling some timing out based on IATs.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Well finally started to look at the motor and looks like melted a piston
So need some advice on what pistons I should upgrade to, would still like to keep it on pump gas.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So need some advice on what pistons I should upgrade to, would still like to keep it on pump gas.
Thanks
What kind of power you looking for?? How about running meth injection? Keep those iats in check. If your definitely going forged depends on what you want to spend but weiscos diamonds I would run either of those.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear about the troubles, it will all be worth it once you get this thing running right and get the chance to crank up the boost.

I don't know why, but it's awesome that you threw this set up in a super duty lol. Pretty sick so far, keep us updated on everything.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

would like to get around 700 at the fly wheel, I'm really looking for something I can go and beat on that will hold up
And I'm game for anything that will help
Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Thanks
What kind of timing were you running? Still at 8-10psi? I'd throw another OE piston/rod set in there until you get it ironed out. Upgraded pistons and rods won't stop you melting pistons...just makes it more expensive to melt pistons.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would like to get around 700 at the fly wheel, I'm really looking for something I can go and beat on that will hold up
And I'm game for anything that will help
700 shouldnt be a problem all day long at the crank and you can beat the snot out of it for the year. get the 04+ style rods they take more of a beating and get those iat's down and you will be very happy. Like i said meth or if you can get some corn in that bitch
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Well got the motor somewhat tore down, ole number 7 didn't make it, looking at the data logs looks like we were pushing 14+ pounds of boost, not 100% sure it maxed out the sensor and it stops a 14, plus had the injectors at 99% duty cycle, so now we know where we went wrong, but it ran good for the couple runs we made
Attached Thumbnails Turbo 6.0 powered mud truck, weird ticking noise with vid-image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well got the motor somewhat tore down, ole number 7 didn't make it, looking at the data logs looks like we were pushing 14+ pounds of boost, not 100% sure it maxed out the sensor and it stops a 14, plus had the injectors at 99% duty cycle, so now we know where we went wrong, but it ran good for the couple runs we made
What size injectors where you running
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

72lb hybrid
Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
8 Second Club

[QUOTE="pun young;18124438"]72lb hybrid[/QUOTE

What's your next move, 120's?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
8 Second Club

What was the timing set at?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

plan is to put better rods and pistons in it, put it on a dyno and fine tune the boost so its running around 10 pounds, everything looked fine on the chart at those times, just got out of hand when the boost got to high

i dont remember the exact timing that it had when running but was getting a lot taking out of it
Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Looks like a classic case of the ring end gaps being too tight. The ring ends but up against each other and pop the piston crown. I would also suggest running a 4 corner steam vent system.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Looks like a classic case of the ring end gaps being too tight. The ring ends but up against each other and pop the piston crown. I would also suggest running a 4 corner steam vent system.

Andrew
Just FYI...

If you read around a bit, 2 vents on the front with the rear plugged works better. Helps keep the pressure up, race teams been doing it this way for years. Jamie meyer (head of GM performance group) did extensive testing on this. Thats why the newer LS engines have the aft ports blocked.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Just FYI... If you read around a bit, 2 vents on the front with the rear plugged works better. Helps keep the pressure up, race teams been doing it this way for years. Jamie meyer (head of GM performance group) did extensive testing on this. Thats why the newer LS engines have the aft ports blocked.
Man that is a tough pill to swallow for some folks
Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Just FYI...

If you read around a bit, 2 vents on the front with the rear plugged works better. Helps keep the pressure up, race teams been doing it this way for years. Jamie meyer (head of GM performance group) did extensive testing on this. Thats why the newer LS engines have the aft ports blocked.
I think Kurt Urban would disagree with Dr. Meyer. Also, the elimination of the rear vents does not increase the pressure in the cooling system. The cooling system pressure is constant and is controlled by the radiator cap. I can understand how running the system at a higher pressure would help eliminate the steam pockets, but just eliminating the rear vents doesn't accomplish this. By that logic the front cylinders would be more susceptible to this phenomenon, but we all know that it is usually the rear cylinders that tend to pop, especially the way this one did, with the broken piston crown.

I am not here to get in a pissing match, but I think it is fair to say that there are differing opinions on this, at all levels.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check out the C6R racing engine. I don't want to imbed the pics because they are huge.

Check out the water manifold that runs under the intake:

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2012/10/SEMAIMG_3960.jpg

Now check it out from the rear:

http://stblogs.hotrod.com/files/2013...orvette-02.jpg

There is clearly a 4 point system.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think Kurt Urban would disagree with Dr. Meyer. Also, the elimination of the rear vents does not increase the pressure in the cooling system. The cooling system pressure is constant and is controlled by the radiator cap. I can understand how running the system at a higher pressure would help eliminate the steam pockets, but just eliminating the rear vents doesn't accomplish this. By that logic the front cylinders would be more susceptible to this phenomenon, but we all know that it is usually the rear cylinders that tend to pop, especially the way this one did, with the broken piston crown.

I am not here to get in a pissing match, but I think it is fair to say that there are differing opinions on this, at all levels.

Andrew
Just thought I’d throw out what I read. I sure didn’t do any extensive testing on it. I run the old 4 port LS1 vents because it’s what I had. Seems if 4 port was the best method the gen4 stuff and race teams would be using it.

Also the coolant system is NOT at a constant pressure at every point. Depending on the size, shape, and number of the coolant passages, pressure will raise and fall and the fluid will speed up and slow down. That’s Bernoulli's principle. 2 smaller passages branching off of a larger supply will net a higher pressure than say 4.

I can post up pictures of 2 point vents as well... what does that prove? What kind of pump is that engine using? what kind of pressure do they run in the coolant system?

Pratt & Miller (Pratt & Miller Engineering New Hudson Michigan) and Dr. Jamie Meyer (head of GM Performance) both say that the rear two should stay blocked off.

I used to advocate having fittings that went to -4an on all 4 steam vents feeding into a coolant swirl pot, which then drained back into the lower hose or return heater line... this is a setup that was used successfully by a few race teams, but it looks like this was a band-aid once I got 'real' information from REAL race teams.

The issue is not flow - the coolant passages flow plenty - it's pressure.* When driven hard, engines need coolant pressure to "scrape" the steam bubbles that form on hot spots in the head off the wall of the passage.* With all 4 ports open, there's not enough pressure locally (in the head) to promote proper heat transfer unless you run your overall coolant pressure extremely high (30psi or so).* Indy and F1 cars run MUCH higher than that, due to higher hp/liter (heat concentration).

The proper setup all my LSx racers are using is, assuming the top of your radiator is below the steam vent port:
*The rear vents blocked off, the front tee'd (LS6-style).
*Radiator cap replaced with "open" cap (free flow through radiator overflow port)
*Steam vent tee and radiator "overflow"/free flow feeding into coolant swirl pot (aka expansion tank)
*Swirl pot has pressurized radiator cap, bottom drains to non-thermostat-controlled water pump return

Last edited by Forcefed86; 04-03-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo 6.0 powered mud truck, weird ticking noise with vid