Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Favorite build threads??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Favorite build threads??

Looking for everyone's "go to" build thread. I've been gathering parts for a few months and I'm teaching myself to weld at the moment. Trying to have everything ready before I get started.. I've done heads/cam swaps but never took on a build like this.

I've been reading every night and trying to look through all the front mount build threads but there is just so many. Just looking for others thoughts and input on whose build helped you the most on your build.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Username search Koolrayz, dschmittie1, Sideways240sx, and ls1curt.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine! lol
Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've read a lot of sideways's thread, good stuff. Seems like everyone does different things for their own reasons. Camaro9969 has a good thread too, some crazy skill went into it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

**** how about build threads that actually update and finish.

There is atleast 5 new build threads posted here every day... And maybe 1 out if 5 do you actually see finished thru completion, dynoed/ran down the 1/4..

It's like everyone jumps on this JY/turbo band wagon and start threads, yet it seems most never finish the car or the thread.

Denmah actually finishes and tests his ****, and doesn't have a build thread running for a year.. And actually races them..
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

denmah has some good threads, I really liked reading through matrin@ticks thread also.. there are quite a few good ones here, hoping mine will be able to help some people out getting started on it real soon turbo is supposed to be in today kmember and engine shortly after maybe this weekend.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

There is atleast 5 new build threads posted here every day... And maybe 1 out if 5 do you actually see finished thru completion, dynoed/ran down the 1/4..
Money, time to work on build, time to work on thread, weather, life, etc., are all factors....some of us need years to get to the finished goal.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Money, time to work on build, time to work on thread, weather, life, etc., are all factors....some of us need years to get to the finished goal.
agreed, sometimes your just never finished LOL
Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's like everyone jumps on this JY/turbo band wagon and start threads, yet it seems most never finish the car or the thread.

Denmah actually finishes and tests his ****, and doesn't have a build thread running for a year.. And actually races them..
This is true. I just wanted to see some good threads that aren't in the first 10 pages and haven't been ongoing for 2 years. I'm new to this side of cars and naturally I've got tons of questions. Nothing makes me as mad when you ask a question and get made to feel like a dumb ***. Some people just haven't been exposed to wrenching on cars their whole lives, let alone FI.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
This is true. I just wanted to see some good threads that aren't in the first 10 pages and haven't been ongoing for 2 years. I'm new to this side of cars and naturally I've got tons of questions. Nothing makes me as mad when you ask a question and get made to feel like a dumb ***. Some people just haven't been exposed to wrenching on cars their whole lives, let alone FI.
Plenty of people here willing to help you out.. Just post up questions, but becareful of some of the advice you may get... There is a ton of great advice and experience here, and then there is also a good bit of crap advice and people talking out of their asses and regurgitating **** they have read, yet never have done..

Lots of people have learned a lot of stuff from this forum, myself included... just don't buy into 100% of the BS...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plenty of people here willing to help you out.. Just post up questions, but becareful of some of the advice you may get... There is a ton of great advice and experience here, and then there is also a good bit of crap advice and people talking out of their asses and regurgitating **** they have read, yet never have done..

Lots of people have learned a lot of stuff from this forum, myself included... just don't buy into 100% of the BS...
Ya, it's pretty easy to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't. I don't think any of the builds is extremely hard to understand but it's the little details that make the difference in the end.

Still looking for more builds though.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The builds I followed were dschmittie1 and ls1curt. Picked up some good ideas.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JustAFooL

yeah, I hate when people do that crap.. sometimes you get someone and they just completly shut you down for asking a legit question, most of us are still learning how all this works some have more previous experience than others but theres really no reason to put someone down because they are wanting to learn how to do something.. it is what it is i guess, but so far this forum has been a great learning tool for me and hopefully I can contribute my own experiences soon as well.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Well of course I am going to say mine and Sideways240sx's threads are the best :p

Chris's thread(s) are very long because we started with a stock car and built it more each year. There were years when it was finished and racing, and years where it was stuck in chassis jail, or engine jail, and nothing really happened. We all wish we had the time and money to build a car from the ground up in the span of a few months, but most of us don't. I think Chris's thread is a good representation of how it goes when you aren't loaded down with money but want to keep going faster and faster.

My build will take forever to "finish" though. I am just too poor to build it any faster

Other threads I check out, Phil99vette, Fireball, those are the only other two I can think of off the top of my head. There are some other good ones, some that were moving along well and then they sold the car. There is a ton of good **** on here though, lots of places to get good ideas.

Sean

P.S. Chris and I always try to answer any and all questions in the threads or PMed to us. We did 99% of the car ourselves and like to pass on knowledge we have gained in the process.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres alooot of good build threads around here, Denmah (Matt) always has very helpful threads.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Well of course I am going to say mine and Sideways240sx's threads are the best :p

Chris's thread(s) are very long because we started with a stock car and built it more each year. There were years when it was finished and racing, and years where it was stuck in chassis jail, or engine jail, and nothing really happened. We all wish we had the time and money to build a car from the ground up in the span of a few months, but most of us don't. I think Chris's thread is a good representation of how it goes when you aren't loaded down with money but want to keep going faster and faster.

My build will take forever to "finish" though. I am just too poor to build it any faster

Other threads I check out, Phil99vette, Fireball, those are the only other two I can think of off the top of my head. There are some other good ones, some that were moving along well and then they sold the car. There is a ton of good **** on here though, lots of places to get good ideas.

Sean

P.S. Chris and I always try to answer any and all questions in the threads or PMed to us. We did 99% of the car ourselves and like to pass on knowledge we have gained in the process.
I agree yours is one of my fav builds
I started and finished mine in about a year but i busted my *** so these builds sure do not go quick. But from a cam only car to what it is now 1 year isnt bad.. Also there really is never a point where you can stop building and blowing through money. So seems like its never ending
Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't ever hesitate to post a thread asking for help, and just like what the others have said, be careful who you listen to. When you get answers, use those answers to help guide you into seeking further information, especially when it comes to things like tuning, cam specs, compression ratio, etc.

Remember, there's no exact, one answer to each question, and a lot of us are doing trial and error. What might work fine for one guy, might blow up in another situation.

If anyone beats you down for asking questions, don't hesitate to hit the red triangle with the exclamation point in it. That notifies a moderator that the post needs to be looked at.

Enjoy your stay, read up, especially the stickies at the top, and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fireball is one I forgot about, I have both of his threads bookmarked and really enjoy reading them.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug (Camaro9969) is a continual help to me. I finished mine inside 5-6 months and still continue to add to my thread. Figure ill post as many pictures and info on my experiences as I can to help others. Like Doug said, "ITS NEVER ENDING"!!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I really need to do a build thread...even though it's nothing compared to some of the builds mentioned in here...Fireball's build thread is just awesome along with Sideways, Denmah, Koolrayz and WS666 and quite a few others that I cant remember at this moment.

Quick Reply: Favorite build threads??