Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question On Gapping Rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question On Gapping Rings

For those of you who have pulled out stock pistons and rings to gap them larger with forced induction how did you do it exactly?

Did you reuse the old rings and just set the gaps? Did you then hone the cylinders?

Or did you put in new rings, set the gap and hone the cylinders?

I have torn engines down in the past and simply reused the rings with out honing and it burned oil. I wasn't sure if you put old rings back in with fresh hone job if they would seal????
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody has any experience with this? All you see is threads of people opening up the gap on 5.3's, so i was wondering which method they used? Reuse old rings or install new?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im planning on running new rings mostly because im already going to be inside it, but i belive quite a few people have been sucessfull with reusing rings and just doing quick ball hone.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

If you are using the same rings in the same bore, then there is no need to hone.

If you did this and it is burning oil, you also did something wrong. But it is not a fault of the rings or bore finish.

re-gapping will not effect this.

if you fit new rings or different rings, then you must hone the bore.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When exactly is it necessary to change ring gap for boost?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

When the ring gap would be too tight otherwise
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was under the impression people were opening up the gap for boost
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I was under the impression people were opening up the gap for boost
Yes, if they would have been too tight otherwise.

No harm will come from a gap that is too big. Harm can definitely come from a gap that is too small.

And the gap would need to be enormous to have a major impact on blowby
Old 02-20-2014, 06:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
For those of you who have pulled out stock pistons and rings to gap them larger with forced induction how did you do it exactly?

Did you reuse the old rings and just set the gaps? Did you then hone the cylinders?

Or did you put in new rings, set the gap and hone the cylinders?

I have torn engines down in the past and simply reused the rings with out honing and it burned oil. I wasn't sure if you put old rings back in with fresh hone job if they would seal????
You probably got an oil control ring upside down. I'd check the gaps you have and see if you need to make them wider, usually its not an issue. Depends how much boost you run, fuel used, and the tune.

Just reuse the OEM rings on a JY motor IMO. Check the gaps you have first. Good rule for top ring and alot of boost is .0065 x bore. (.024 on a 3.78 bore) Bottom ring should be .002 or so larger to prevent ring flutter. From what I've seen a high mileage motor usually has right around this for gap anyway. Though I have seen as small as .017.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Nope when i pulled the piston and reinstalled it with same rings and no honing ot cylinder i didn't even remove the rings. It wasn't bad at burning oil but when you whicked the throttle there would be a small puff of smoke.

I'm debating if i even want to pull the pistons. Last night got engine torn apart and the cylinders still have good cross hatch. Pulled the caps and the bearings all look great. I did find a mahle ring set on ebay for $50 which aint much while i'm in there to make sure it seals well and has proper ring gap.

BTW, is there some where that offers a complete gasket kit with all new seals, o rings, and gasket for a reasonable price? Seems like i see eveywhere a top end kit or a lower end kit etc...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily blame that on rings, valve seals on heads possibly.

I would pull the rings and inspect them. I’ve yet to pull apart a JY motor that didn’t have TONS of carbon and crap built up in the ringlands. Then check the ring gaps to ensure you have enough. No reason not to now that you have it apart. The 5.3 I just tore down most of the upper rings were at .022. 2 were .019. May have been ok, but now I know rings butting shouldn't be an issue and the ringlands are all very clean. I wouldn’t bother honing it unless you run new rings. I see no reason to run new rings if yours are in good shape. If you rehone the cyls you’ll have to take down the mains, pull the crank etc…

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-20-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I think since I'm this far in it I'm going to pull the rings and inspect them and gap them.

Is taking the mains out a big deal? I'm already there and the pistons and rods will be coming out, along with the cam. I could easily pull the crank, ball hone the cylinders then assemble with new gaskets and will be a freshened up engine.

On second though i am going to hone and install rings. On the leak down test cylinder 5 was low, but i couldn't tell if it was the rings or exhaust valve it was leaking from.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

All LS gaskets are re-usable, so unless you've damaged some, there is no need to replace.

Just use new head gaskets and oil pump o-ring if you're down that far.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while on the subject, what are you guys using to file the rings? have a ring filer or just using a hand held i know this has been touched on a little bit elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gaped my stock 5.3 to .024 and .026, holding strong at 20psi
I always rehone the cylinder just to get the rings to reseat

Quick Reply: Question On Gapping Rings