Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Self tuning Forced induction is here! Sorry dyno tuners, :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
I'm currently building a boosted Atomic LS motor. Should (hopefully) be up and running by June. I know the product very well, but its newly supported boosted compatibility is new to me and I want to see if it lives up to its hype.
Cool! please keep us updated ! you'll most likely be up and running before me.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a link to the article,a must read ! I'm friggin sold !

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...turbo_ls_test/
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Cool! please keep us updated ! you'll most likely be up and running before me.
Yup. Have interior work to finish up first then off to the drivetrain. Playing the "waiting on parts" game and keeping myself busy with other stuff as things arrive. Link to the blog/build is in my signature.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh.. if I still had my LS car I'd stick with my tuner which only charged dyno time ($50) after the initial tune cost of $450. That means I'd have to go back to the dyno 41 different times to equal the Atomic system cost. Holley's is better and cheaper anyways.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
Meh.. if I still had my LS car I'd stick with my tuner which only charged dyno time ($50) after the initial tune cost of $450. That means I'd have to go back to the dyno 41 different times to equal the Atomic system cost. Holley's is better and cheaper anyways.
Cool. Was hoping someone would show up that had hands on experience with both the MSD and the Holley unit. What is the biggest difference between the two AFTER the install? How much boost did you run with each? Did you notice a change in the AR table with boost changes? Curious how long they took to "learn". Appreciate your experience and response.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
I'm not saying this is the be all end all of systems at all. What you do as a tuner as well as other tuners and the knowledge you have is extremely important and the info you have learned will never be replaced by a "self tuning" system and put you guys outta a job. It runs off a wide band sensor and the software handles the rest based off of sensor input just like the OE's do. I'm just sayin that for non able to tune an OE PCM like the AVERAGE car guy out there,this system is extremely user friendly.
I know how it works first hand, thats why I cant post more details about it right now. Its a great concept and works great on stock motors. Have you used it on a big cam motor or modded motor?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine builders will probably get more business lol
Then real tuners will get the business back lol
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

(to quote LSX powertuning)I know how it works first hand, thats why I cant post more details about it right now. Its a great concept and works great on stock motors. Have you used it on a big cam motor or modded motor?

Did you read the article i posted? If not,please just take a minute to read. I personally haven't had a chance to use it yet. But i will from stock to heads,cam,turbo etc. then ill share my findings. Just curious,what is your restriction on being able to comment fully on this?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I read the article, dont doubt any of it. Doing something on a engine dyno is a lot different than in an actual vehicle though. I do tuning for several different shops and other companies and some projects have non discloser agreements.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

Oh ok,i understand. Thats pretty cool that you get to do that kind of work for them,must be awsome to do what you love for a job. And yes,real world drivability in a veh and not in an controlled environment is waay differant than a engine dyno room.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

I am sure the msd will work very well for your setup. My experience with the holley kit has been very good. After spending a few ours in the garage setting up the ecm and allowing the ecm to learn the ve table I took the car on the street. I put about two hours worth of street time on the car allowing the ecm to see all parts of the ve table (ie cruising and wot upto 17lbs). Two days later I took the car to the track and the after the 1st pass fuel compensation (the amount the ecm had to change the ve table to meet the target afr) was less than 3% on 6 lbs of boost. To me this shows the power of holley and its self tuning ability. Like I said before the msd setup is really nice I just wanted the ability to change anything in the tune, and the datalogger is SWEET.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how you can say this is an amazing product when you haven't actually used it yet. It's like me saying my jakes 4l80e is amazing while still on the pallet. I don't doubt that it has the potential to be a great product but if you want to win people over with how great something is please do use it first.

As for the price I don't see how anyone could justify getting this limited setup when someone could spring for a complete solution like proEFI which has some of the best features on the market, completeness in tuning capability, and has been proven with forced induction setups.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You should do some more research before assuming so much from a system. The "self tuners" are not all that that are cracked up to be. Is it enough to fire a new combo up and get in on a trailer to a REAL tuner..yes. Is it smart enough to fire up a new combo and go ripping down the street.... absolutely not, not if you value all the money you put into said combo.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willizm
I'm not sure how you can say this is an amazing product when you haven't actually used it yet. It's like me saying my jakes 4l80e is amazing while still on the pallet. I don't doubt that it has the potential to be a great product but if you want to win people over with how great something is please do use it first.

As for the price I don't see how anyone could justify getting this limited setup when someone could spring for a complete solution like proEFI which has some of the best features on the market, completeness in tuning capability, and has been proven with forced induction setups.
I am sure proefi if fine but for dyi guys it is not a good solution. I haven't heard a single proefi user yet talk about tuning there own setup (am sure there are some). The msd, holley, and fast all offer more than enough features to allow a person to put together a well sorted out and functional car together themselves. This is especially true with lsx swap setups when a clean stand alone harness is used.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
You should do some more research before assuming so much from a system. The "self tuners" are not all that that are cracked up to be. Is it enough to fire a new combo up and get in on a trailer to a REAL tuner..yes. Is it smart enough to fire up a new combo and go ripping down the street.... absolutely not, not if you value all the money you put into said combo.
You are incorrect in your evaluation of these systems. Read my post above to understand. The whole reason for these systems is so the car owner can become "the real tuner". The way you tune an efi motor is no different than a carb motor, afr is afr and timing is timing. The msd and holley terminator kits make this simple by providing the user with a comanded afr table for the wideband to work towards. For the holley hp & dom kits the user is able to completely configure this themselves to get there desired results. The nice part of all these systems is the interface and controls are layed out in a way that an average guy figure it out. This allows them to control there own destiny at the track, on the street, or wherever.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

HPT is not user friendly or simplistic enough for the non-efi person to figure out.
Is it that hard to pick up a manual or read some how to's online? Everyone started out now knowing **** about tuning, then went on an learned it.

May not be as easy as just driving around letting the computer learn itself, but at 1/3rd of the price it sure is tempting.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan
Is it that hard to pick up a manual or read some how to's online? Everyone started out now knowing **** about tuning, then went on an learned it.

May not be as easy as just driving around letting the computer learn itself, but at 1/3rd of the price it sure is tempting.
Its going to take a lot more than just picking up the manual and reading it to do a from scratch tune with hp tuners on a swap vehicle. Also in the case of swap cars the cost for hp tuners, a cleaned up factoey harness, ecm, and base tune from a pro can cost just as much as a holley hp kit. The self learning is very helpful with tuning boosted cars on the street when the power come on and you need to correct the ve table. As long as the target afr is correct the self learning feature really helps to reduce the chances of you hurting the motor during initial tuning.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

The new systems are awesome but the "self tuning" just isn't going to happen. Before you jump on me hear me out.

1. need to input good data like injector data and there are so many other tables that need to be right before you can even start to tune or you'll just end up with garbage.

2. When you start to get into performance motors what the sensors are seeing and taking data from aren't exactly what is happening in the motor. A good example is a cam with a moderate amount of overlap.

3. These systems are a huge step forward and they're a welcome change. Here's my suggestion, start out with good tune from someone experienced and use the "self tuning" to make minor updates.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

so know one has used this great system yet, but it is the greatest thing out there
well, Mike Tyson never put me on the canvas either, lol
I hear what your saying though, for us non computer guys we have searched for a way to get into FI that would work for us-I went from blowthru carbs to my first time with FI, using the Holley HP-sounded great, throw some numbers in, drive it and bam, its tuned-sold me
well, I went thru all last year trying to get mine to run right, WOT was great, punch in the AFR, timing you want, hit it, done
it was the low speed drivability that kicked my butt-then it sometimes just quit running, or didn't want to start and keep running-guys on the YB sent me tunes, advised me, but W/O someone actually there, I didn't always understand-read the man. many times, great iff you know computers, lol
I finally have it where I think it is just about perfect, need some more testing if the weather ever dries up, but I can tell you it cost 4 times as much as a CSU blowthru carb setup was and an MSD 6010 controller-throw the carb on, tweak it, ck timing and take a plug reading, great reliable system
but I do love the data logging and other stuff on the HP, go out and drive, come back and download the data, know everything, and I mean everything the engine is doing
does the Atomic datalog?-be interesting to see if it delivers
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

This is the exact reason why I wanted to build an Atomic LS motor and put my hands on it before I started making assumptions of what it is and what it isn't. Theres a ton of em flying around in here and I'm going to guess the actual hands on experience is practically nil.

Eager to put it through the paces and make my own educated statements soon.

Quick Reply: Self tuning Forced induction is here! Sorry dyno tuners, :(