Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ceramic coating need opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic coating need opinion

Talked to a local guy today about ceramic coating the hot side pipes of my turbo. I would like to do silver or near chrome. He said the silver is good up to about 1600 degrees and black is good up to 2000 or so. Do you think the silver will hold up? Motor is a ls1 single turbo 500-600 hp. Truck is a weekend cruiser
Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Contact these folks.

http://www.embeeperformance.com/coat...l_barrier.html

I think David is the guy I talked to.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
Contact these folks.

http://www.embeeperformance.com/coat...l_barrier.html

I think David is the guy I talked to.
ok thanks. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver or chrome-like finish won't hold up like the black coating when use on pre-turbo, but on downpipes it will be just fine as they don't get as hot as the turbo manifolds/headers. I had a shiny, bling, bling ceramic hot coatings on my previous twinturbo kit (same heat ratings as you were told), it was pretty and all, but it didn't take long for the coatings on the log manifolds to turn dull looking and eventually started flaking-off, but the downpipes were still fine.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Turbos make alot of heat, you may end up wrapping it anyway?
I did after we blew the AC line and caught on fire too!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay thanks for the heads up guys. This truck is not a daily driver It's more of a weekend cruiser.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
8 Second Club

I have both on my car. Black on the down pipe since it exits the bumper cover. Truck manifolds and exhaust housing are done in silver/chrome. The downside to black is if you get oil on the pipe it stains it, no clean up and it seems to scratch off easier. The silver/chrome cleans up very easily. My truck manifolds and exhaust housing are both done in the silver/chrome and so far both are holding up fine. I was told to keep an eye on the coating right at the exhaust flanges on the manifold since that's where the most heat builds up and could cause it to flake but it's been fine.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MustangLS
I have both on my car. Black on the down pipe since it exits the bumper cover. Truck manifolds and exhaust housing are done in silver/chrome. The downside to black is if you get oil on the pipe it stains it, no clean up and it seems to scratch off easier. The silver/chrome cleans up very easily. My truck manifolds and exhaust housing are both done in the silver/chrome and so far both are holding up fine. I was told to keep an eye on the coating right at the exhaust flanges on the manifold since that's where the most heat builds up and could cause it to flake but it's been fine.
Okay still not sure what I'm going do. I could see if it was a daily driver to worry about going with silver. I know more people have had to deal with this. I'll see if anyone else wants to chime in.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

We always do a "break in" on the headers that are coated.
1. Wipe all fingerprints, dirt, smudges, etc off w/ denatured alky.
2. Set up a fan[s], to move LOTS of air over the engine during initial start up.
3. Do our best to be close on the AFR and timing.
Flat tappet engines requiring a prolonged break in, at elevated rpms, will be more of a hassle than a roller engine.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MustangLS
I was thinking about coating the manifolds black and pre turbo pipes silver. Pulling the trigger tomorrow any one else have thought s on this.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone else Before I Drop the pipes off Today?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Im told that the best to keeping it last is all in the prep work. Were I use to work we had a place that did it for us and it held up great.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

DON'T GO WITH THE BLING LOOK!

Although I love the look it does not hold up to the high temp. of turbo heat build up. this is what they looked like when I first coated them.

Oh snap I can't find a recent pict. but they look like crap headers turned grey right away the down pipes took a track day to turn them grey as well.

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating need opinion