Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV & Boost - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV & Boost - Need Help

I have oil consumption problems and need your help. The motor is a 416 with a Whipple 2.9, Katech valve covers and I am using dual Saikou Michi catch cans. The oil appears to be coming from the fresh air side and going in the intake in front of the TB. Deal is, there is no oil accumulated in the fresh air catch can and the amount of oil lost is a bunch. Below are pictures of my setup along with a diagram I used from the get go.

I am using a Walker adjustable PCV valve on the dirty side and it appears to be working well. In over 3000 miles only about 2 oz. of oil has accumulated in the dirty side catch can.

Is it possible that oil is being blown out the fresh air side while under boost and then sucks the oil out of the fresh side catch can when not in boost? Or is the fresh air tap on the intake too close to the TB and is being drawn in under all conditions?

What am I missing here? Any help is much appreciated!!

Last edited by Duntov1967; 02-28-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

my saikou michi's dont seem to have caught much either. But i do know oil running through them because i can see the film on the TB and compressor blades(not near as much as you). I think im going to switch to MightyMouse's setup
Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Update:

So I decided to disconnect the clean air hose from the inlet and catch can. I plugged the inlet tap and ran the clean air hose from the passenger valve cover to a plastic soda bottle and ducted taped it to a brace. I took it out for 45 minutes and did numerous full boost runs.

To my surprise, no oil in the bottle. I then pulled the air intake tube and had a bunch of oil in it and in the TB. The oil is obviously coming from inside the supercharger and must be a bunch to make it to the front of the throttle blade. So my theory that the air intake velocity was sucking the oil from the clean air side is a fail and also explains why there was no oil in the clean air catch can.

Next test is to leave the clean air side disconnected and disconnect the dirty side pcv system entirely and put cheap filters on the lines and cap the SC vacuum port. I just want to make sure that the oil isn't coming from some other place besides the dirty side pcv port. If all stays clean, then I will hookup the dirty side again but plug the line coming from the valley cover and cap the port.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 02-28-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a baffle inside the valve covers? I personally don't pull from the passenger side valve cover. I also have a oil cap filter. I use the TB to pull from the driver side rear valve cover and valley cover. I run a centri blower with a RX dual catch can setup.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Is there a baffle inside the valve covers? I personally don't pull from the passenger side valve cover. I also have a oil cap filter. I use the TB to pull from the driver side rear valve cover and valley cover. I run a centri blower with a RX dual catch can setup.
Yes, the Katech covers have a baffle cast into them.

So I ended up going the way Whipple shows in their installation manual. The valley cover is now plugged and the dirty side only draws from the driver side valve cover. After some full boost pulls, the TB and intake are still dry. The catch can did get about an ounce of oil however. But the main problem appears to have been the valley cover.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

So I am still pulling oil through the pcv system. Now I am trying a fix that GM started doing which is going to a fixed orifice to slow down the flow of air. I am retaining my pcv valve because the internal check valve is needed for backfires that might occur. I also am now pulling from both the driver's side valve cover and valley cover so no one port is flowing too much.

I picked up a .100 (2.5mm) Enderle pill designed for their mechanical injection fuel bypass along will a pill holder with a -6 AN fitting that screws directly into the Whipple intake housing. The pills can be swapped out for larger or smaller ones to custom tune the air flow. I would consider the .100 the smallest and if it fixes the problem, then I will step up to larger ones until the problem reappears and then step down one size. We want as much flow as possible without pulling oil obviously.

Parts can be found HERE and HERE

Here are some pics:

If this doesn't fix or at least help the problem, then the internal baffles on the valve covers suck and I will need to address that.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 06-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

so you are thinking oil is blowing straight through it without catching? there would be at least some in the can(s) especially one with packing and baffling.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
so you are thinking oil is blowing straight through it without catching? there would be at least some in the can(s) especially one with packing and baffling.
The can was catching a bunch of oil. I really don't know how much actually got through the can while it was empty, but it was pulling so much the can was filling up and once you reach that stage, the oil has nowhere to go except direct to the intake.

On a good note, I drove from Atlanta to zMAX dragway in Charlotte yesterday to attend the 2014 Hotrod Power Tour. I did some serious runs down the track and drove back. Eight hours on the road plus track time. I pulled the intake this morning and no oil in the intake, nada!! So next step is to start up-sizing the pill (jet) to see how much flow I can get without pulling oil. The size of the pill will vary from motor to motor depending on the amount of crankcase pressure it produces.

My total investment for the pill and holder was under $20 so I am a happy camper.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ah ok, so the intake only started oiling after the catch can became full. i did not read that above, that makes plenty of sense.

with these closed type cans, the only place for blow by to go is backwards out of the clean air side (as the rest of the system is either sealed or closed due to boost).

so that line to the elbow will see a more significant air speed, causing the can to be less efficient.

Quick Reply: PCV & Boost - Need Help