Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dual injection with e85

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dual injection with e85

I contemplating a custom intake (maybe a typhoon alum ls6 style) plumbed with 16 fuel injectors so I can run dual fuel

pump gas on the primary, and e85 on the secondary. I currently have a 70 lb injectors on the "primary" and some bosch 127 injectors for the secondary

looking to use a magnafuel 4303 pump activated by a hobbs switch

I'll be using a haltech to control it all.

looking to get above 800 rwhp and go boost by speed to hook it all up

I saw a hogans intake plumbed already for dual injectors.

are there any other options? this is all going in a C5 2003 Z06 tiger shark and I want to keep the hood.

looking for advice on tuning strategies with the dual fuel tables

the car will have an 8 channel egt setup to help with the individual cyl tuning

also looking for an experienced tuner on the east coast that can handle all this!!!

thanks for any advice and thoughts
Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't remember what PCM Nelson uses but i know they have the Fuel on Demand thing perfect. Maybe take a look on their site to get some ideas
Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i would say run stock computer, then just run a MS1 for the high boost e85 injectors or something similar to that, and have them come in on their own,

you hit a switch and high boost comes on, e85 fuel pumps, megasquirt all of that and you can roll up into it..

thats the way ive always thought about doing it
Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

couldnt this be possible with a ms3 ? Just wouldnt have individaul cylinder fuel control ,, would have to run it in batch setup ?or bank type ? im just stepping my feet into the megasquirt stuff, seams pretty awesome, run almost any efi system with it .. bikes, boats, etc .
thats good ideal ^ never thought bout that ms1 with stock ecm ..
Old 03-04-2014, 06:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys. I already have the haltech s2000 and it's capable of running the 16 injectors staged.

the megasquirt stuff is awesome but I went with the haltech this go around.

most of the custom sheet metal intakes I found are either too tall or too $$$$ (over 2k)

the typhoon looks like I could weld on some additional injector bungs.

also thinking of just doing fogger nozzles and direct port for alchy injection.

it would be cheaper and probably work just fine ramping up the pump speed as more fuel is needed.

so many options!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah srry bout that , got off topic.. haha... if i was doing a duel injector setup, and wanted to save money , id get the edelbrock vic jr , or something along that line , and have the another set of bosses welded on .. Save ton of money than those sheet metal intakes .. But if you got the dough , then get the sheet metal ones..badass ..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just run a fuel composition sensor and E85 as your primary fuel?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

edlebrock proflo with 16

Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh
thanks guys. I already have the haltech s2000 and it's capable of running the 16 injectors staged.

the megasquirt stuff is awesome but I went with the haltech this go around.

most of the custom sheet metal intakes I found are either too tall or too $$$$ (over 2k)

the typhoon looks like I could weld on some additional injector bungs.

also thinking of just doing fogger nozzles and direct port for alchy injection.

it would be cheaper and probably work just fine ramping up the pump speed as more fuel is needed.

so many options!!!
Fogger nozzles don't "fog" without the nitrous. Better off with meth inj nozzles. The resolution needed for proper fuel control isn't' there with a nozzle and pressure alone either. 16 injectors is your best bet. Cruise around on stock injectors/pump. Instead of alcohol, race gas would be cheaper IMO. You don't go through it as fast as you think if it's only "on" during a pull. Dont' need the crazy fuel system with race gas either.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dual fuel setup is very nice for a high hp street car, we have been doing it for a little over a year and a half in maxxmitchell's 3rd gen firebird. We first did it with two stock pcm's and now are using a holley dominator and it works great. My mustang is getting it this year and my ltd is also getting it. We use a vic jr on maxx's car and my mustang.

Here is the intake going on the ltd....

Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Why not just run a fuel composition sensor and E85 as your primary fuel?
I do have a flex fuel sensor and e85 might be plan A as a primary fuel. I'm just looking a dual fuel as an option as I think it's going to be easier for me to put the big magnafuel (or other) e85 pump on the secondary tank (3 gal) that I currently use for alchy injection.

here's some things I'm kicking around

1. street tune - pump gas with E85 coming on line as boost ramps up
2. "street on kill tune" - E85 on the primary side with wiff of alchy on top
3. race gas tune for the track

I'm also looking at the direct port alchy injection and plumbing up lines (ECS is did a setup for Mr. Lee, looks REALLY nice)

I think that might be best for me as I can just use alchy with the "pump gas street tune" like I do now and run E85 + light alchy for "on kill" and might not need a race gas tune

I'm new to E85 but have been running alchy for a long time. I had a drag car using a "flying toilet" mechanical injection system that worked pretty well.

thanks for the feedback! this is kinda an "over complicated" setup but I'm interested in learning to tune with multiple fuel tables and fuels.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skinnies
The dual fuel setup is very nice for a high hp street car, we have been doing it for a little over a year and a half in maxxmitchell's 3rd gen firebird. We first did it with two stock pcm's and now are using a holley dominator and it works great. My mustang is getting it this year and my ltd is also getting it. We use a vic jr on maxx's car and my mustang.

Here is the intake going on the ltd....

although I like the Vic Jr my vette has a pretty low profile hood and I would need a "tight radius" elbow to get it to clear.

this intake would work prety nice!!! can you point me to some threads on that setup??? the haltech will allow one ECM to control it all which simpliies things a bit.

I might just get a relatively small set of injectors for the 'primaries" for good throttle response, and put the 127s "up top" on the E85

what do you all recommend for a decent 50 or 60 lb injector (easiest to tune).

or should the big dogs run as the primaries??? thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

That is a custom setup, don't think you'll see a thread or pics of another one like that. Blake at 417motorsports did the rail conversion for me.

We use the vic jr with 16 injectors and low profile elbow on maxxmitchell's firebird to clear the stock 3rd gen hood and it works good.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Friend of mine rigged up a dual fuel system with a single OEM computer many years back (2007 I think). He used the same size injectors on both banks though. Had both fuel system pumps circulating all the time and used a boost switch to change from the injectors running pump gas to the injectors running c16 at 1psi, worked great. Went mid 8’s first time out in a heavy Fbody TA.

WIth a little trim the OE hood fit and all...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Diyautotune.com has some injector bungs that use no fuel rails, just hoses. Injector placement would not be dictated by rail placement.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Here's what I came up with. **** ton of work though.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...onversion.html
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of c16 in the dual fuel setup. That way it don't take a ton more volume. Or the direct port meth injection would be good too. Not as primary in boost but to add to your regular fuel during boost. I'm gonna do something on mine for sure to be able to drive and operate 90% of the time on 93 pump but still exceed 4 digit rwhp on small cubes.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Fogger nozzles don't "fog" without the nitrous. Better off with meth inj nozzles. The resolution needed for proper fuel control isn't' there with a nozzle and pressure alone either. 16 injectors is your best bet. Cruise around on stock injectors/pump. Instead of alcohol, race gas would be cheaper IMO. You don't go through it as fast as you think if it's only "on" during a pull. Dont' need the crazy fuel system with race gas either.
good points! race gas on the "secondary injectors" would last a long time and give me plenty of octane without the high cost. probably make more power too.

looking a the vic jr and some elbows that will clear the hood. I've always wanted to try dual fuel. I heard from Haltech that the tuning with the dual fuel tables can be VERY tricky, but hey, it's an adventure.

starting on E85 can be a pain too as can the upgrades to the fuel system on the C5 which has a pretty poor fuel tank/siphon, BS design for packaging reasons.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I going to try going dual fuel with a haltech s2000 with 127 lb injectors on the "secondary side" and 60 lb injectors as the primary. upgrading the fuel system on a c5 is a hassle and with dual fuel so I can install a big pump using my extra tank I have for alchy and covert it over and stay with the factory fuel system on the primary injectors (in my case a racetronix pump with a BAP)

I already have a 3 gal alchy tank so the plan is to deinstall the alchy system, and run a dedicated pump (not sure which one yet) to feel the 127 lb secondary injectors.

I want the secondary system to work with E85 too and I have a flex fuell sensor which would be installed

so heres what I need to know. I'm trying to use a good intake like a vic jr or the chevy single plane and still get it up underneath the hood (2003 c5 Z06)

I'm also wondering if the tall edlebrock ram intakes could be sectioned with a shorter runner. I like the big plenum volume of the "hat". the BBk and wieand alum intakes look good too. but I'm curious which intake would work best with turbos and make plumbing the twin injectors easiest.

my plan would be to use the 60 lb injectors as the primary side (or could even go smaller) and the 127 lb injectors with a dedicated fuel pump fed off the old 3 gal alchy tank. the racetronix pump with BAP will be left alone for the primary system

want to be able to run at least 600 rwhp on pure pump gas at low boost and "bring on the race fuel secondary system" for high boost on kill. the haltech will be used to control both the primary and secondary injectors an have 8 channel egt for monitoring along with the dual wide bands and a pressure monitor.

hoping I can do this without resorting to a custom fabbed intake but that might be needed. there is one from vette doctors one ebay right now that doesn't look too bad.

looking at the vic jr with a super low profile intake. my thoughts are if I machine off the top of the vic jr and weld the two together I can make a low enough profile intake to hopefully tuck up under the hood

I have a halltech stinger that I want to keep.

what pump would you all recommend for the secondary side?? magnafuel looks pretty good but its got a bit more capacity than I need with a dual fuel setup.. I do think I should have a big enough pump to push 800 horse or so on E85 on the secondary side alone

maybe a bit of overkill, but I sure like the concept!!

thanks for any advice.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Here is the vic jr 16 injector setup I'm running this year on my mustang

Quick Reply: dual injection with e85