Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need advice on Turbo Build ls6 or Iron

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need advice on Turbo Build ls6 or Iron

Hi folks, my current forged LS6 has a bottom end tapping that sounds like either a bad piston or wrist pin. sounds like a really loud solid lifter cam until about 2k rpms. under load it gets louder but then smooths out at crooze and at higher rpms. engine is quiet at anything over 2k rpms and the oil looks good (no junk in it, going to cut open the filter to check it too, but oil looked really clean). good oil pressure and the problem isn't getting better or worse. checked the valve train and it seems Ok. it's been knocking for a LONG time and I've been lazy and just kept driving it (over a year).

so I believe it's time for a rebuild. looking to make around 900 at the tire on e85 with a haltech s2000, bosch 127 injectors, and with bigger fuel system (thinking a magnafuel 4303 or something similar activated with a hobbs switch).

car has a TTiX twin turbo, and I'm upgrading to the .82 turbo housings, and the champion 3" downpipes.

anyway, onto the questions (many!!)

I'm debating on keeping the LS6 block or I also have a 4.8 vortec iron block.

the current engine has AFR 225 heads which I want to keep

I need advice on some good rods and pistons/rings for a high boost turbo build

I will be keeping the shift point at 7000 rpms at the track with only a few trips per year to "validate" performance. primarily a street car.

looking at diamond, wiseco, lunati, mahle, they all are pretty similar in price.

also looking at new rods, callies, lunati, k1, ect....

it's time to tear down the car in early April to get ready for spring.

looking to stay with the stock ls6 or maybe even the 4.8 crank to save $$$$

the short stroke on the 4.8 crank might make for an interesting high rev build!

my budget is around 5k for the engine redo, already spent WAY too much on the other parts

hoping to use the alum LS6 block, but I'm a bit worried it will hold up at 900 rwhp for long. would the small 4.8 iron block be a better choice?

ot sure what parts are in the current engine as I didn't build the car, but it has forged rods and piston already. might be able to resue some of the current parts.

thanks for any advice!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

top it
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from everything ive seen and read as long as its a good block and its been checked by the machine shop a LS6 will hold that hp. im using one for my build but i havent got very far yet so I cant exactly speak from my own experience with this. im using a stock crank and maybe getting it cryo'd and most likely callies rods and diamond or wiseco pistions.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks! the callies rods and diamond pistons look really good

I'll be tearing it down in april and be able to see what I have in there now and what is reuseable.

but if anyone has a good forged short block ready to go for a decent price I'd also entertain going that route.

Quick Reply: need advice on Turbo Build ls6 or Iron