Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

build help, and opinions?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build help, and opinions?

Hello I have a stock 5.3 Lmg block in my truck right now, I am looking to build it up and I just need advice and opinions.

I want to put a cam(comp XR265HR if this cam will work for a turbo? And can I switch my cam from a single bolt cam to a 3 bolt with just a. Ew gear?) in my truck with intake(fast lsx R) and most likely a Iarger throttle body to begin with, I plan to turbo it as well think around 8psi so I planned to switch over to forged pistons(Wiseco Junkyard Dog Series Forged Piston) and rod change K1 Technologies H-Beam Billet Connecting Rods) while keeping the stock crank( or should I change it?) But I am getting a DoD delete and was also wondering if should get my stock 799 heads ported or just get a valve and spring job done on them? I have heard you can run good power with them without needing to port for FI applications?Or just buy a new set of heads?

Lota of questions, if you guys could help that would be great!
And also I know I could go up to a bigger displacement but I want to build my 5.3 and prove to a couple friends it can be done

Last edited by shadyteddybear; 03-18-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your cam sensor on the front cover? You can get generation specific cams to keep from switching over from one style to the other.

No need for forged pistons and rods on the motor, especially not at 8 PSI.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you planning on going bigger on boost soon?

At 8psi you wont need to forge anything, I would save that cash for some legit flowing heads. Get a complete DOD/VVT delete kit and get a custom grind cam.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

799 heads flow fine for boost.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:35 PM

The cam sensor is in the front, and I have heard the single bolt isn't very reliable? And how much psi could I run if I do go for a forged internals? Like 14? I want to build it to have for awhile so I don't want to push the engine to hard or stress the parts more then I have to
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This isn't a gen 1 small block. Somewhere a few threads away from this one is a post about an 800 whp stock 4.8. Stock cam, valve springs, internals, head bolts and gaskets.... at 26 psi. These stock short blocks are very very stout. There are people over 1000 flywheel HP on stock internals.

With forged internals, the stock crank and block will start their trials around 1400 HP.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 AM

I realize I could built the engine I have up and make it fast. But that said the engine also has 133.000 km's on it and it's g ping to be a daily driver, so I want to build it to last, just looking for input on build help, I know what I wanna do
Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It'll last even with high mileage. Just need to stud it and ls9 gaskets and your done. I've had good luck with my 6.0 with 17 to 20psi. But it's all in your tune if it'll last. And luck. Lol I also had a 4.8 in my fairmont with a bw turbo with a 200 dry shot that I couldn't kill . It has 159,000 on it.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM

You think so?, I've just kinda heard both sides "yeah it'll last and be awesome" and "no it's not worth it to build it when it'll blow" so I figure I'm gonna take the safe end. And Im not worried about time or money it's just the planning stage and will get the parts in a later date, I just need to figure out if all the parts Will work together and if they are in fact the right parts to do so, like getting a cam? is the cam in the Lmg and single bolt? And if it is it just as simple to change it to a 3 bolt?, as well as the stock head cc's? Is it +6 or +2
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people that say they won't last are the ones that were around when the old small block were big. Stock 350 rods were breaking at 450 HP and Windsor blocks were splitting in half at 550. Gone are those days. There are a couple of aluminum ls2 blocks that have been pushed to 2000 HP with a forged rotating assembly. Even the ford mod motors have much stronger blocks now, I believe a filled aluminum mod block has been used in a high 5 second pro mod car.

Metallurgy, tolerances, and quality are far better now, and will only continue to improve for the sake of reliability. There are hundreds of guys on this forum with forged internals on a 450whp N/A setup. Some people just refuse to believe that you don't need to spend big money to make any more power than stock.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol! I have to explain to guys all the time that ask me will it last. Well like I said sometime its luck I push my 4.8's 5.3 and 6.0's hard. I'll usually run em bone stock with paper gaskets and stock cams . And then upgrade as I go. These motors are cheap . If I hurt one i'll get another and fix the hurt one as a backup. My engine builder told me yesterday that since I started running those damn ls motors he doesn't take my money as much . Lol
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Well if I can get the much power then I minas well go for it! That would be awesome

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: build help, and opinions?