Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Spring Question

I popped open the wastegate on my car to see what spring were run in it (I didn't build it, but I am correcting it ) It currently has 2 springs a large red and a small green. I am still learning FI so I am wanting to get some input. Currently it is running a manual boost controller set for around 8 lbs. I will be installing a truboost. If I am correct being a 44mm wastegate this means I am right around 16lbs of spring pressure. Is it better to drop to just the small green spring or use both and use the truboost to control it?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I have read a few posts that state just slap the 7lb spring in there and that is all you need but, I wanted to verify before making any changes.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

yes your correct most of the time you can make 2-2 1/2 times the waste spring with a manual contoller
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LCR Camaro
yes your correct most of the time you can make 2-2 1/2 times the waste spring with a manual contoller
Thank you for your insight.

Now to find someone that would like to sell their blue spring! lol
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastikk
I popped open the wastegate on my car to see what spring were run in it (I didn't build it, but I am correcting it ) It currently has 2 springs a large red and a small green. I am still learning FI so I am wanting to get some input. Currently it is running a manual boost controller set for around 8 lbs. I will be installing a truboost. If I am correct being a 44mm wastegate this means I am right around 16lbs of spring pressure. Is it better to drop to just the small green spring or use both and use the truboost to control it?
Refer to manufacturers instructions as to what each spring is. There is no generic colour reference.

If you never need less than 8psi, then use 8psi springs.

But as there are multiple ways to configure the system, there are many rights and wrongs

Using boost pressure itself as the control signal, you cannot run a lower boost level than the base spring pressure ( mechanical losses aside, which sometimes will mean it's a little less )

So if you fitted a 16psi spring, you would never be able to run 8psi unless you sought an alternative high pressure source for the control setup.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So if you fitted a 16psi spring, you would never be able to run 8psi unless you sought an alternative high pressure source for the control setup.
If I understand you correctly, even though they told me it was only running 8psi, that is not true because it was running a 16lb spring?

Basically, the spring needs to be the lowest you are willing to boost and the controller allows you to go above and beyond that by relieving pressure on the waste gate?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sense of what I have read so far.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily. The spring could be lower. What psi does it run with the controller turned all the way down? Are you using a boost controller or a tuning program like hptuners to read the boost?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastikk
If I understand you correctly, even though they told me it was only running 8psi, that is not true because it was running a 16lb spring?

Basically, the spring needs to be the lowest you are willing to boost and the controller allows you to go above and beyond that by relieving pressure on the waste gate?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sense of what I have read so far.
What you read is irrelevant.

What springs etc are actually fitted are relevant. As said, dont assume based on others colour charts. Make sure you refer only to your manufacturers parts and information.

If the gate was faulty or you had incredibly high backpressure pre turbine, then it may be possible to only see 8psi in the intake with 16psi springs.
It is highly unlikely though, as that would take a fairly extreme scenario.

But yes the spring needs to be the lowest boost setting you will use.

And correct the controller allows you to go higher by manipulating the opening and closing pressures applied to the valve.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the insight Stevieturbo!

Quick Reply: Wastegate Spring Question