Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My 54 chevy TT 5.3 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 54 chevy TT 5.3 build

Alright I'm collecting parts for this build. I have a 5.3 truck jy engine that I want to twin turbo for my 54 chevy. I plan on tearing it down to freshin it up but will be leaving it stock, maybe with the exception of some arp hardware. For an intake I like the holley hi-ram and want to back it with a T56. This will be drivin on the street mostly on the weekends. I want minimal turbo lag and my goal is ~600rwhp. So I've done some looking around on here and other searches but I just don't know enough about turbos to decide on one so I figured I'd bug you guru's on here... hope you don't mind...lol

So I guess to start I'm looking at more of a budget turbo. What do you guys think of a borg warner S300SX3-60 / S360? To big, to small? Or maybe one of the gt35's all over ebay? I welcome all the input I can get and thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those ebay gt35's will spool really quick. you'll like it allot. i had the ones with 61mm compressor 62mm turbine. cx racing without the surge holes. t4 .68ar on my lq4 and it was instant boost. in about a second it would make over 20lbs boost
Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I'm in for the build. I am currently building a '85 c10 swb with twin CXRacing GT35's. Motor for now will be a stock 4.8 liter blow thru. Running the 4.8l for now while I build a 347(iron 5.3) and to get some experience tunning a blow thru. It will be nice to have someone going thru the same type build. Also sounds like I found someone's brain to pick on my blow thru (T76s10).
Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dodgesruck
I'm in for the build. I am currently building a '85 c10 swb with twin CXRacing GT35's. Motor for now will be a stock 4.8 liter blow thru. Running the 4.8l for now while I build a 347(iron 5.3) and to get some experience tunning a blow thru. It will be nice to have someone going thru the same type build. Also sounds like I found someone's brain to pick on my blow thru (T76s10).
I hope your build goes faster than mine will.. I might wind up taking ques from you...lol I bought a rust bucket in 05 and found another last year in way better condition only its in pieces... and I'm trying to finish my garage... haha I guess I'll have plenty of time to hunt parts lol
Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T76s10
those ebay gt35's will spool really quick. you'll like it allot. i had the ones with 61mm compressor 62mm turbine. cx racing without the surge holes. t4 .68ar on my lq4 and it was instant boost. in about a second it would make over 20lbs boost
T76s10, what did you do for bov and wastegates? How long did you run them an what's your thoughts on their quality? I actually have the same ones saved on my ebay only the anti-serge version. Wish I could have found a ceramic ball bearing version but they're all bigger.

Here'sthe link http://m.ebay.com/itm/270940682667?nav=SEARCH
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Those are the turbos I have. I also bought (2) 44mm wytonm wastegates and a single 50mm EMUSA bov. Both wastegate and bov have had some decent reviews as well as helping me stay within my budget. I also bought a Godspeed TT intercooler. Hope it all goes well.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
HRD
Staging Lane

Hey I just finished a 54 Chevy truck TT 5.3L build. I see you are in NC, did you go to the Run to the Sun at Myrtle Beach last weekend? I had my truck there. Here's a link to some pics. Not trying to steal the thread, just thought you may get some ideas. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8703558&type=1
Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Those are the turbos I have. I also bought (2) 44mm wytonm wastegates and a single 50mm EMUSA bov. Both wastegate and bov have had some decent reviews as well as helping me stay within my budget. I also bought a Godspeed TT intercooler. Hope it all goes well.
Cool thanks man! I will look into those. It looks to me like cx and godspeed are selling the same intercoolers. I like their 27" wide one with the center outlet but I want one that has an outlet in the top instead of the back. If I can't find another I'll just have to get one and relocate the outlet cause it's perfect size for my car. Do you have a build thread?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I have BW s256's on my personal car. 5.5L .. spool is almost instant. I would highly recommend them.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got no blow thru experience haha. This is my first time trying it. Need to wait until roads clear up to tune though so it will be a month or so. Allot of local support is what I'll rely on
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HRD
Hey I just finished a 54 Chevy truck TT 5.3L build. I see you are in NC, did you go to the Run to the Sun at Myrtle Beach last weekend? I had my truck there. Here's a link to some pics. Not trying to steal the thread, just thought you may get some ideas. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8703558&type=1
Awesome, what you guys have done is similar to what Im after. I'd like to know about what you guys did for fuel management and what turbos you guys used. Those headers look great. I'll probly wind up doing what you did with the intercooler but mount it in front of the radiator. It looks like the cx racing one I might get.

Nice to know there's other ppl on here from NC! I went down for sat but the show was so big I didn't get to see everything. Pluss everyone started leaving early due to the rain thret. It was beautiful weather for the most part!! And tons of nice cars!! Do you go to pigeon fordge TN for shades of the past or grand run?

Last edited by boostpower54; 03-30-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boostpower54
T76s10, what did you do for bov and wastegates? How long did you run them an what's your thoughts on their quality? I actually have the same ones saved on my ebay only the anti-serge version. Wish I could have found a ceramic ball bearing version but they're all bigger.

Here'sthe link http://m.ebay.com/itm/270940682667?nav=SEARCH
You don't need the ball bearing no need for them. I currently run a single jgs 60mm wastegate and bov. I had two Emusa 38mm gates and their good quality I like them. For bov any of them on ebay work fine. I wouldn't try buying anything from wyntonm again. My wastegate never showed up after two weeks and he never replied to my messages. Had to get my money back and my wg was even marked shipped.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I've got no blow thru experience haha. This is my first time trying it. Need to wait until roads clear up to tune though so it will be a month or so. Allot of local support is what I'll rely on
T76s10 Im on page 5 of your thread, can't wait to finish it! Ok so forgive me if this sounds dumb but I thought "blow thru" meant you were running a carb setup. Can someone clarify that?

Last edited by boostpower54; 03-31-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zero_2_Sixty
I have BW s256's on my personal car. 5.5L .. spool is almost instant. I would highly recommend them.
Nice! How long have you been running them? When I looked at them I thought they had small wheels but I may have too take a second look. Do you remember the part num or can you tell me what a/r compressor yours is?

Last edited by boostpower54; 03-30-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a fun build. HRD's truck is exactly how I would've built that truck too. Nice work!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 AM
HRD
Staging Lane

Awesome, what you guys have done is similar to what Im after. I'd like to know about what you guys did for fuel management and what turbos you guys used. Those headers look great. I'll probly wind up doing what you did with the intercooler but mount it in front of the radiator. It looks like the cx racing one I might get.

Nice to know there's other ppl on here from NC! I went down for sat but the show was so big I didn't get to see everything. Pluss everyone started leaving early due to the rain thret. It was beautiful weather for the most part!! And tons of nice cars!! Do you go to pigeon fordge TN for shades of the past or grand run?
My intercooler is in front of the radiator, I used a crossflow radiator and ran the pipe over the radiator, down into the top of the intercooler tank. It is a CX racing IC. The turbos I'm using are CXRacing T67, but I'm thinking of downsizing to GT35s for faster spool,. If you need header help, give me a shout. We do stainless headers and exhaust all the time. Those were some quicky headers we through together in a day.

It was a nice turnout at the beach. Over 3000 cars. We built the 40 Ford that won the GoodGuys Pick so I was stoked about that. Generally we go to the Shades, but this year I want to hit the Grand Run.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

T76s10 Im on page 5 of your thread, can't wait to finish it! Ok so forgive me if this sounds dumb but I thought "bow thru" meant you were running a carb setup. Can someone clarify that?
Yeah I do have a carb setup haha. Once you get to the last pages of my twin 70's thread you'll see the pics of my new setup.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HRD
My intercooler is in front of the radiator, I used a crossflow radiator and ran the pipe over the radiator, down into the top of the intercooler tank. It is a CX racing IC. The turbos I'm using are CXRacing T67, but I'm thinking of downsizing to GT35s for faster spool,. If you need header help, give me a shout. We do stainless headers and exhaust all the time. Those were some quicky headers we through together in a day.

It was a nice turnout at the beach. Over 3000 cars. We built the 40 Ford that won the GoodGuys Pick so I was stoked about that. Generally we go to the Shades, but this year I want to hit the Grand Run.
PM sent! I'm getting an itchy trigger finger lol
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Yeah I do have a carb setup haha. Once you get to the last pages of my twin 70's thread you'll see the pics of my new setup.
Oh I gotcha lol I haven't had a chance to finish it yet
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I don't have a build thread yet. Kind of got overly excited and started building without taking pictures. Bought to tear it all back apart as mock is almost over so I'll take pics then.

Quick Reply: My 54 chevy TT 5.3 build