Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What are u guys using for turbo flange bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are u guys using for turbo flange bolts?

So today i was working on my car noticed some of the turbo flange bolts on the exhuast side where missing after some looking around I found a couple of them they where broken in half... Its a fresh build so still trying to iron out the problems...

The car is a twin turbo setup T4 flange with 3/8 grade 8 zinc plated bolts from Bowman... I was gona try grade 9 maybe or stainless from Catterpillar or John deere I know they have good hardware

What are u guys using?...
Attached Thumbnails What are u guys using for turbo flange bolts?-img_20120603_161225.jpg  

Last edited by 06chevy5.3; 04-12-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06chevy5.3
So today i was working on my car noticed some of the turbo flange bolts on the exhuast side where missing after some looking around I found a couple of them they where broken in half... Its a fresh build so still trying to iron out the problems...

The car is a twin turbo setup T4 flange with 3/8 grade 8 zinc plated bolts from Bowman... I was gona try grade 9 maybe or stainless from Catterpillar or John deere I know they have good hardware

What are u guys using?...
I used studs and nuts from treadstone on my last car with success
Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Grade 10.9 bolts from McMaster. Very cheap. Paid like $12 for a pack of 25
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Stainless is good in theory, and sometimes in practise.

But as it is prone to galling up and nuts seizing onto the bolts. I'd avoid it for that reason alone.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

My last build I got good quality all thread in all the common sizes like 3foot each ,with nuts, and its saved a a shitload of looking for bolts and trips to hardware store. Just chopped off exactly what I needed when I needed it. Just a tip, other suggestions save hassel of cutting/deburring but cost more.

Also your oil drains look too high, may he the angle, but the 90° fittings id def swap for something that gives a straighter shot back into the pan
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I use caterpillar nuts and bolts for t3/t4 stuff. I just buy the nuts and bolts for a 6nz caterpillar turbo. they aren't stainless steel. they do work awesome though and ive never seen them break unless they were left loose. for my gt45 ebay turbos from vs racing I used the studs and nuts from a cm2250 isx cummins worked like a charm. ill see if I can get some part numbers to post when I get to work Monday.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

If you are breaking bolts then you have other problems as well. Something is moving making them break. But if you wind up installing stronger bolts, use crimped lock nuts and copper thread lube on the bolts. You will be able to remove them later on without a problem. I use copper thread lube on all of my bolts for my headers, or any high heat area.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mebuildit
If you are breaking bolts then you have other problems as well. Something is moving making them break. But if you wind up installing stronger bolts, use crimped lock nuts and copper thread lube on the bolts. You will be able to remove them later on without a problem. I use copper thread lube on all of my bolts for my headers, or any high heat area.
I'm kinda thinking the same thing those are some strong bolts that broke maybe I over tightened then paired with the heat I used crown lock nuts no copper anitsieze... The engine and trans are solid mounted I don't see how it would move though...
Old 04-14-2014, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys... I'm gona try the caterpillar bolts they make awesome hardware I'm just glad it broke the bolts and not the welds on the headers...

Quick Reply: What are u guys using for turbo flange bolts?