Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS scavenge pump flow rate?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STS scavenge pump flow rate?

Anyone know what the STS scavenge pump flow rate is? no one at STS can awnser the question. Im wanting to use it as a WOT pump to spray the forward gears on my T56. I want to make sure its atleast 1.5-2 GPM
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think its identical to the -

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

I use and have used multiple times, the turbowerx EXA and think its great.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
I personally think its identical to the -

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

I use and have used multiple times, the turbowerx EXA and think its great.
I thought the same thing. Well im going to go ahead and buy it and see how it flows
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Good deal.

For what its worth, I remember about 2 years ago, i helped a friend build a rear mount on his GXP and he bought the pump direct from STS and at the time, it was white, and so was the one i posted, the appeared to have the same case, and gear set case
Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

Good deal.

For what its worth, I remember about 2 years ago, i helped a friend build a rear mount on his GXP and he bought the pump direct from STS and at the time, it was white, and so was the one i posted, the appeared to have the same case, and gear set case
This one is blue and says STS real big in red.. The case is identical to the one you posted though.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboWerx-Base-Model-Electric-Turbo-Oil-Scavenge-Pump-/110973093846?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d68307d6&vxp=mtr
Assuming my STS scavenge pump is based on the same design i wonder why it says "not compatible with ATF" is ATF corrosive? I will be running either dex 3 or syncromesh
Old 04-19-2014, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Could be because of the brass gears. I think some ATF's dont go well together with such metals ?

Really dont think you'd need anywhere near that amount of flow for a jet into the gears though

Plus that cheaper pump must be mounted vertically, which maybe isnt always practical

VDO make a neat little pump, apparently used on some BMW cars and used for cooling gearbox oil. Probably manual trans cars.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...p-405040001001
Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Could be because of the brass gears. I think some ATF's dont go well together with such metals ? Really dont think you'd need anywhere near that amount of flow for a jet into the gears though Plus that cheaper pump must be mounted vertically, which maybe isnt always practical VDO make a neat little pump, apparently used on some BMW cars and used for cooling gearbox oil. Probably manual trans cars. https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...p-405040001001
For the short period of time it will be used I think it will be ok. Most of the pumps that guys run are tilton pumps that run about 2gpm. Are you saying that the STS pump need to be mounted verticaly?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

It isnt a case of the short time it is used. It is still always exposed to the ATF even when not in use.

I'm sure you're right though, it would probably take an incredibly long time for any harm to occur if brass is the issue. But I honestly dont know.

From what I understand, the Exa is the only pump of that nature that can be mounted in any orientation. Or almost sure I read that from Turbowerx.

None of the others have suitable oil seals between the pump section and motor section.
I cant confirm as Ive never used any others, but I'm sure I read that
Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks for the info Stevie. I will be contacting STS for more details Monday. I should have specified that the pump will be mounted on top of the trans so I don't think it will be exposed to any ATF fluid until it is activated.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Is cost the issue? I only ask becuase the EXA is a beast and i dont think i've heard of a failure story with them.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Exa flows a shitload....it's probably massive overkill.

But as you say...probably the best.

Or consider their Exa Mini. Might be easier to package ? Not a huge amount smaller, but it is smaller.

http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/page1/page1.html

Although dont think it needs to be ultra reliable anyway. The oil jet is just an addition, not a necessity, so failure wouldnt really pose much of a problem, and really the jet would only really be doing much during a very hard launch, or under very hard acceleration g-forces where oil is forced rearwards.
These events would be quite short duration.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
8 Second Club

Is cost the issue? I only ask becuase the EXA is a beast and i dont think i've heard of a failure story with them.
I scored the pump for basically nothing so I wanted to see if I could make it work. Otherwise cost isn't really a big deal.

Last edited by oscs; 04-19-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Exa flows a shitload....it's probably massive overkill. But as you say...probably the best. Or consider their Exa Mini. Might be easier to package ? Not a huge amount smaller, but it is smaller. http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/page1/page1.html Although dont think it needs to be ultra reliable anyway. The oil jet is just an addition, not a necessity, so failure wouldnt really pose much of a problem, and really the jet would only really be doing much during a very hard launch, or under very hard acceleration g-forces where oil is forced rearwards. These events would be quite short duration.
Exactly, the pump will used for VERY short periods of time. In a years time it might see a total of 10 minutes operation time. The only concern I have is the pump being mounted up high and having to function "dry" for a short period time while it's pulling the ATF fluid up to its self. No sure how big of an issue it is for these style pumps to pull fluid rather than push it.. Again, short intervals here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STS scavenge pump flow rate?