Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

choke point on the ttiX - what CI should I run

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default choke point on the ttiX - what CI should I run

I have a older ttix kit with I believe the 58 mm t3/t4 hybrid turbos. I'm freshening up the ls6 engine and wondering if it's better to go with a shorter stroke crank out of the 4.8 engine (I have one) and rev it up more and boost it higher.

I'll be running e85 and probably staying with the stock LS6 block with a goal of around 900 at the tire. I've seen so many of the small displacement motors make dynamite power that I'm thinking a shorter stroke engine might suit me better

if I find out that the block is hurt (not likely) might just build out the 4.8 and go with it!

it would allow a bit more top end with the smaller turbos.

I also have a set of the .82 turbo housings that I'm considering using.

seems like they might work a bit better too.

any advice on the build?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh
I have a older ttix kit with I believe the 58 mm t3/t4 hybrid turbos. I'm freshening up the ls6 engine and wondering if it's better to go with a shorter stroke crank out of the 4.8 engine (I have one) and rev it up more and boost it higher.

I'll be running e85 and probably staying with the stock LS6 block with a goal of around 900 at the tire. I've seen so many of the small displacement motors make dynamite power that I'm thinking a shorter stroke engine might suit me better

if I find out that the block is hurt (not likely) might just build out the 4.8 and go with it!

it would allow a bit more top end with the smaller turbos.

I also have a set of the .82 turbo housings that I'm considering using.

seems like they might work a bit better too.

any advice on the build?

Was thinking the same for my next motor, I have a 4.8 just sitting here. Considering dropping the 4.8 crank and rods in a 6.0. Adding to the advantages you mentioned, the more RPM you run the less time the charge stays in the cyls and the less prone the motor will be to detonation. You could also get by with a less expensive larger diameter converter.

On the downside, inertial loads sky rocket with RPM. At 7200 rpm, the inertial load will be 144% greater than at 6000 rpm. Not sure how much more rpm you could get away with on a factory shortblock. Would probably want decent hardware at minimum, and possibly pistons. Then you would need an aftermarket intake manifold to take advantage of the higher RPM and beef up the valve train. All are pretty costly.

Weigh all that against what a stock 6.0 long block is capable of... I don't know if going with a 4.8 (or destroked motor in general) is a winning battle for the budget minded racer.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Less displacement with more boost typically puts turbos in a better efficiency range. I would suggest you look at a compressor map for the turbos and do some math.

The 4.8 crank has a better stroke/rod ratio, but i wouldnt expect to be able to rev it to 8k.

I have a 4.8 crank here that i plan on putting in an iron 4.8 block that's bored to 3.905". I've been hunting for rods forever though. A 6.300 rod length is fine with a standard compression height 1.3xx piston...finding them used is difficult.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Stewart makes over a 1000rwhp on the older kit with a 347.

Quick Reply: choke point on the ttiX - what CI should I run