Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo, oil in the intake???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo, oil in the intake???

Ok, my shop just called me and during the dyno tune the car was smoking a bit and they checked the intake and there was a good amount of oil. They are investigating further.

I suspect too much vacuum from the way they plumbed the catch can.

Its a twin PTE6766 5th gen camaro with custom HKE built LSX427 running an Rev Extreme RX monster dual valve (3 ports on top) catch can. Also the turbos are low mount so Im running a Turbowerx EXA scavange pump.

I ran a procharger D1 before with no issues so here is how they set it up:

Center port on the can to the drivers side valve cover port Tee'd into the valley cover port. Intake port capped as well as the pass side valve cover port. Each outer port running an unchecked line directly to the inlets of each compressor filter. Boost not sure but was shooting for 20PSI.

They said during the street tune it was fine for 2 hrs or so. Problem was in boost on the dyno.

The way I had it setup before was center port to drvrs side VC port T'd into valley cover. One of the outer ports with a check valve running to the intake port, the other outer checked line running to the inlet of the Procharger D1. Also run an oil cap breather filter to alleviate the over pressue in boost.

So, to me this seems like this motor is pulling tons of vacuum thru the crank case with both these big turbos pulling air unchecked. Could this be the cause or maybe a seal in a brand new turbo. It consumed about 1/2 qt on the dyno, not sure how many runs. I dont live close to this shop.

Help????

Attached is a pic of the final custom fabbed setup FWIW
Attached Thumbnails Twin turbo, oil in the intake???-img_0840.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed. I had the EXACT same problem as you and ending up blowing my ls1. Just replaced it was a 5.3 and starting it Friday, hoping I don't have the same oil consumption and oil in my intake as well.

Btw my catch can setup was- both valve covers plumbed to a vented catch can
Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

bump.....came here for the expertise. Come on bro's....
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Teching In

There are a number of things that can cause oil bypass, but in your case, I am going to guess that it has to do with your scavenge line, rather than the vacuum system. You can confirm this by looking inside your intake tubing to see where the oil trail starts. The best case for a drain is to have a big line running downhill with as few bends as possible. In your case, the best thing would be to have it run backwards to a scavenge pump with as few bends as possible.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleenenhaus
There are a number of things that can cause oil bypass, but in your case, I am going to guess that it has to do with your scavenge line, rather than the vacuum system. You can confirm this by looking inside your intake tubing to see where the oil trail starts. The best case for a drain is to have a big line running downhill with as few bends as possible. In your case, the best thing would be to have it run backwards to a scavenge pump with as few bends as possible.
If a scavenge pump can pull oil all the way from the rear of a car and send it to the oil pan without causing oiling issues i doubt his short run is causing problems. With that said OP post pics of the routing. Do you have dual pumps? one? post more detailed pictures of your setup

Last edited by oscs; 04-23-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BullF-16
Ok, my shop just called me and during the dyno tune the car was smoking a bit and they checked the intake and there was a good amount of oil. They are investigating further.

I suspect too much vacuum from the way they plumbed the catch can.

Its a twin PTE6766 5th gen camaro with custom HKE built LSX427 running an Rev Extreme RX monster dual valve (3 ports on top) catch can. Also the turbos are low mount so Im running a Turbowerx EXA scavange pump.

I ran a procharger D1 before with no issues so here is how they set it up:

Center port on the can to the drivers side valve cover port Tee'd into the valley cover port. Intake port capped as well as the pass side valve cover port. Each outer port running an unchecked line directly to the inlets of each compressor filter. Boost not sure but was shooting for 20PSI.

They said during the street tune it was fine for 2 hrs or so. Problem was in boost on the dyno.

The way I had it setup before was center port to drvrs side VC port T'd into valley cover. One of the outer ports with a check valve running to the intake port, the other outer checked line running to the inlet of the Procharger D1. Also run an oil cap breather filter to alleviate the over pressue in boost.

So, to me this seems like this motor is pulling tons of vacuum thru the crank case with both these big turbos pulling air unchecked. Could this be the cause or maybe a seal in a brand new turbo. It consumed about 1/2 qt on the dyno, not sure how many runs. I dont live close to this shop.

Help????

Attached is a pic of the final custom fabbed setup FWIW

What does your intercooler piping look like? oily or clean?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

So you have oil in the intake, and you think its because of the amount of vacuum you are pulling because of the turbos?

It sounds like you don't think the catch can is working correctly and its letting oil pass through and into the intake. Have they said anything about filling up the catch can?

Where is your oil return plumbed into?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oscs
If a scavenge pump can pull oil all the way from the rear of a car and send it to the oil pan without causing oiling issues i doubt his short run is causing problems. With that said OP post pics of the routing. Do you have dual pumps? one? post more detailed pictures of your setup
This is true but the stuff coming out of the turbo is a frothy mix of air and oil. If it has to go uphill liquid oil will pool at the turbo or the downhill leg of the line and never get to the scavenge pump. An easy way to check this is to pull the drain line off the turbo when the car isn't running and see if any oil drains out. If there is any pooling I would expect this to get worse on the street/track where the oil is subjected to acceleration not felt on the dyno.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

My shop is giving me no information. The tune was supposed to be done yesterday and i was supposed to pick it up today. But the oil issue happened. I texted today inquiring about tomorrow for pickup and got the reply "I'll let you know later today"

So, thanks for the replies. I just dont have any more info. Its in my shops hands. Shouldnt be a rocket science type fix.....
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by BullF-16
My shop is giving me no information. The tune was supposed to be done yesterday and i was supposed to pick it up today. But the oil issue happened. I texted today inquiring about tomorrow for pickup and got the reply "I'll let you know later today"

So, thanks for the replies. I just dont have any more info. Its in my shops hands. Shouldnt be a rocket science type fix.....

Sometimes I think rocket science might be easier than car science lol

Fixing stuff is usually easy, diagnosing stuff in order to know what to fix not so easy. And with a problem like this, it can take some time to pinpoint the actual cause
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Sometimes I think rocket science might be easier than car science lol

Fixing stuff is usually easy, diagnosing stuff in order to know what to fix not so easy. And with a problem like this, it can take some time to pinpoint the actual cause
Apparently they are in the process of re installing everything and will let me know later if it will be done tomorrow. Hope so. Its supposed to rain on Sat and i dont want to drive the 2hrs home in the rain with these low mount turbos.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Teching In

i had a very similar issue it turned out to be my feed lines on the turbos had no restrictors so oil was blowing past the seals into my intake.

my fix was a 1mm restrictor on each turbo.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by wooly
i had a very similar issue it turned out to be my feed lines on the turbos had no restrictors so oil was blowing past the seals into my intake.

my fix was a 1mm restrictor on each turbo.
I would say fine with a ball bearing turbo that needs very little oil. I would never do that with a journal bearing turbo

Quick Reply: Twin turbo, oil in the intake???