Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whipple 2.9/ 5.3 E85 or Methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple 2.9/ 5.3 E85 or Methanol?

So I'm getting ready to tear down my mud truck and build a new one. This hobby has exploded and as a result, my truck has become way outdated. The new truck will be a full tube chassis with 4 link front and rear.

I want to step up the powertrain too. Current setup is a junkyard 5.3 with LS6 cam and Maggie 112 @6.5# on 93oct. It's been perfectly reliable but way under powered. I've considered every form of power adder and have landed on a Whipple sandrail kit, most likely a 2.9 with rear 102mm entry and dedicated 10 rib direct drive. I want to work my way up to 20ish psi on my existing 5.3 (will do studs and LS9s). I don't have any specific goals, I just want to work my way up until it's making enough power to keep me happy. I don't mind the investment into the Whipple but don't want a built engine. If it pops, and at some point it will, I want to be able to just go snag another cheap engine and go back to slingin'.

I'm curious if e85 is resistant enough to detonation to allow me to beat the **** out of my 5.3 @ 20-25 psi for an all weekend event? I like the idea of running 100% Methanol but am afraid of the cost of the fuel system required to run it and of the oil contamination.

What do you guys think and how big do you think I'll have to go on injectors for either fuel?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new truck will likely have tractor tires.

Quick Reply: Whipple 2.9/ 5.3 E85 or Methanol?