Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??

I posted this in Gen III internal engine but no responses. Hoping for more info over here.

Last night my friend and I put in a brian tooley stage II cam in a 5.3 I got from a junkyard. After that we pulled the heads so i can install brian tooley Springs and also to put in new head studs and an ls9 gasket. We were surprised to see the passenger side push rods in great shape but the driver side were black color. Almost like they were burnt. The motor has about 130k on the clock.

There is a good deal of carbon buildup in the heads and cylinders, I don't think it is out of the ordinary for the mileage, but I am also not an expert on this stuff. Here are pics of the cylinders and pushrods. As you can see some are clean looking and the others are black.

Can anyone here tell me if I need to be concerned about this. Is there something else I should look at like the lifter?? Why would one sides pushrods looks great and the other look so black??

Also I should note that the old gasket in the drivers side had gunk clogging up some of the coolant passages. I'm going to flush all that out. Any tips on best way to do that??
Attached Thumbnails Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??-20140425_084033.jpg   Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??-20140424_202944.jpg   Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??-20140424_202954.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked just like mine.. If it's out of the car why not disassemble and and put in new bearings.. Kings performance is what I got and was less then 120 I think for rod and main.. then u can also properly gap the rings..
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

I just took a wire brush pad and cleaned all the carbon off the pistons. At 130k, I wouldn't even touch the rings.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I thought it was prob no big deal. I'm just going to spend time cleaning it all up this weekend and get it all back together. Maybe run some gm top end cleaner through it once I get it back in the car. I'm going to have the heads hot tanked and inspected too.

Any ideas on the pushrods??
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will want to swap out the valve springs for some better ones and get some hardened push rods. Valve float can happen alot easier with forced induction. What cam are you planning to run in this?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
You will want to swap out the valve springs for some better ones and get some hardened push rods. Valve float can happen alot easier with forced induction. What cam are you planning to run in this?
I thought I put it in original post. I've got a brian tooley stage II turbo cam, brian tooley valve springs and hardened pushrods. Got all the goodies from Lil John's along with a pair of JGS 40mm wastegates and a JGS 60mm BOV. Strapping a S475 on this one. Got 80lb SD injectors, and probably another $1000 worth of crap lol.

I was thinking of putting in bigger valves, but just found out the bellhousing on my TH400 is cracked in 2 spots from my old motor (in sig), so I am going to use that money to buy a new bellhousing for it that is SFI rated since I'm sure it will make a shitload of power even with stock valves.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Teching In

it would be crazy not to replace the lifters when you're already in that deep
Old 04-25-2014, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joenub
it would be crazy not to replace the lifters when you're already in that deep
Any recommendations?? LS7 Lifters good enough?? I've seen a lot of budget turbo builds with more mileage than this motor replacing a lot of valve train stuff, but not the lifters. Not to say it shouldn't be done.

Last edited by Chiropaul; 04-25-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chiropaul
I thought I put it in original post. I've got a brian tooley stage II turbo cam, brian tooley valve springs and hardened pushrods. Got all the goodies from Lil John's along with a pair of JGS 40mm wastegates and a JGS 60mm BOV. Strapping a S475 on this one. Got 80lb SD injectors, and probably another $1000 worth of crap lol.

I was thinking of putting in bigger valves, but just found out the bellhousing on my TH400 is cracked in 2 spots from my old motor (in sig), so I am going to use that money to buy a new bellhousing for it that is SFI rated since I'm sure it will make a shitload of power even with stock valves.
Sorry man I was too busy looking at the pics lol. Sounds like you have that covered then, you should get the push rod length checker and then order hardened rods in the size you need. I would get the lifters Tooley recommends for his cam.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Conan, I got the hardened rods that Lil John recommended along with everything else. So hopefully the ones he recommended are correct.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well ****, I'm having trouble reading today, I see the lil john goodies now. I would also throw a new oil pump and ls2 timing chain in there while its torn down
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

If u need anything else from brian tooley let me know I'm a vendor
Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe one side of the engine being dirtier than the other is the result of years of PCV action.

Clean air comes in one valve cover and the crank case vapors are sucked out of the other valve cover. So the head/pushrods with the clean air coming in tends to be far cleaner than the other head/pushrods where the vapor is exhausted.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I believe one side of the engine being dirtier than the other is the result of years of PCV action.

Clean air comes in one valve cover and the crank case vapors are sucked out of the other valve cover. So the head/pushrods with the clean air coming in tends to be far cleaner than the other head/pushrods where the vapor is exhausted.
Thank you for your response, makes perfect sense to me. And even better coming from the man who all my valvetrain and other turbo goodies came from.

And since you replied. What are your thoughts on the necessity of replacing the lifters on this motor (assuming they look good on inspection)??
Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiropaul
And since you replied. What are your thoughts on the necessity of replacing the lifters on this motor (assuming they look good on inspection)??
I'm hesitant to say this... but if the rollers all look shiny with no pits and they roll well... I would probably run em...

Although $139 will buy you new LS7 lifters, and $99 will buy new OEM stock replacement lifters, so either might be good insurance.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I'm hesitant to say this... but if the rollers all look shiny with no pits and they roll well... I would probably run em...

Although $139 will buy you new LS7 lifters, and $99 will buy new OEM stock replacement lifters, so either might be good insurance.
I probably will order the ls7 ones at this point. Like you said. Good insurance Thanks for your responses!!

Quick Reply: Tore down 5.3 for turbo, LOOK OK??