Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2bar, fueling vs kpa

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2bar, fueling vs kpa

I have a 6.6 with a 480 single turbo. The thing falls on its face at 2800 rpm in a Jet Boat. Starts blowing a little black smoke, then craps out if you step on it after that RPM.
I notice the KPA is around 80 at this steady rpm of 2800-3000. The turbo tune is all new for me with Hptuners. Had a guy help me with it. I think the VE tables are close but the Question is, when I look at the fuel flow vs kpa chart it is only programmed up to 80kpa for fuel flow/ injector rate requirements. Is that right or should it go higher to match the VE tables?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double A
I have a 6.6 with a 480 single turbo. The thing falls on its face at 2800 rpm in a Jet Boat. Starts blowing a little black smoke, then craps out if you step on it after that RPM.
I notice the KPA is around 80 at this steady rpm of 2800-3000. The turbo tune is all new for me with Hptuners. Had a guy help me with it. I think the VE tables are close but the Question is, when I look at the fuel flow vs kpa chart it is only programmed up to 80kpa for fuel flow/ injector rate requirements. Is that right or should it go higher to match the VE tables?

Thanks
That only goes to 80kpa even in the 3bar setup. What does your ve go up to for your 2 bar?

If it's blowing black smoke, that's an indication of being rich and cutting out is as well. Post a log and a tune. What's the wideband read when it does it?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

No black smoke until above 2800 rpm or 80kpa.

When I saw black smoke above that rpm, I thought piece of cake... so I leaned it out but still not wanting to run above 2800 or 3000. after that I reduced the PE to half, but no luck. The VE tables go up to 205 or whatever the max is for 2bar.

The AFR looked fine to me,(15 at low rpm, as I progressively stepped on the throttle it would go from 15 to 14-13-12. It wouldn't run any longer after 12 on the AFR, so I am not sure if that would keep dipping progressively to 11-10- and lower...

I verified plugs and they were lean looking if I ran the afr at 15 at 2800rpm. So the AFR gauge seems to jive.

On top of these problems my HPtuners program locked up and went into Demo Mode on me. So, now I cant change anything until I type in an application key code it is asking for. Not sure why it did this after several tunes yesterday.

I was able to attach the original file my helper sent me. The VE table in this tune is too lean but everything else is the same. I am running 65lb injectors.
Thanks
Attached Files
Old 06-01-2014, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Are you running a boost reference fuel pressure regulator? What's your fuel pressure at? 65lb injectors even with 43.5lbs should still have a 65 some where in the injector flowrate table. This isn't good. especially if you have your base pressure set at what they are stock of 58psi since your 65lb injectors are rated at 43.5lbs. This is most likely the problem.

Other things, your pe is set to a flat 12.5 afr and your BE isn't used (which is fine, since it's shown to be slower). Looking at the plugs after it's been idling isn't going to tell you anything. Reading plugs is done by a WOT pass, shutting it down, then taking the plug out to read it.

Need a log with the afr as well.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I wasn't reading plugs at an idle, but I cant reach WOT yet. Reading a low midrange just to reference my afr gauge. (as a start only)..just looking

Fuel pressure is at 58psi. boost referenced regulator is being used. Fuel pressure is steady and Did see a steady climb of 8psi in fuel pressure as turbo came into play...

What should are your thoughts on changing the flow rates?
So are you thinking it is richer than the VE tables say it is due to the flow rate table being too low? Then when the boost referenced fuel pressure kicks in it gets pig rich making the flow rate issue compounded....?

Let me see if I can get a scan run posted with afr

Bill from HPT is getting me a code to reboot my software and THANKS for YOUR HELP! I am at the lake now hoping to make some changes and see improvements before I have to drive home 1.5 hours..
Old 06-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Teching In

I Thought I had saved a longer scan at 2800 rpm, but guess not. Maybe pause this scan at 2400 rpm and see what you think. My afr gauge would read 15 steady on this type scan run but at a steady 2800-3000rpm. If I stepped on it at that point on up it would instantly go rich and start in on the visible black smoke
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Mardon test 1 5-30-14.hpl (24.3 KB, 262 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Having the boost referenced regulator means that your IFR should be flat across the table. So if your injectors are rated 65lbs@43.5lbs then you should have a higher value. I don't have my computer that has the excel file on it, but you can find it and input your data there. You use the value at 0kpa. Also change your offset table to all the same valvues for the 0kpa column. Then you will have to adjust your VE for that change.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Was thinking to raise the inj. flow rate table by 11% and try that... ? Maybe that would bring the fueling down enough to compensate for the boost ref reg pressure ?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Having the boost referenced regulator means that your IFR should be flat across the table. So if your injectors are rated 65lbs@43.5lbs then you should have a higher value. I don't have my computer that has the excel file on it, but you can find it and input your data there. You use the value at 0kpa. Also change your offset table to all the same valvues for the 0kpa column. Then you will have to adjust your VE for that change.
Thank you. I will try the adjustments. Hopefully Bill can get my software online and working again today before I have to leave for home. I cant save changes or communicate with the VCM until then
Old 06-01-2014, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Double A
Was thinking to raise the inj. flow rate table by 11% and try that... ? Maybe that would bring the fueling down enough to compensate for the boost ref reg pressure ?
If you do it the way I said, then when you change injector size all you should have to do is change that table and the VE table should remain the same. All the fueling is based off of good injector data. You fudge that, then you fudge the rest and F yourself.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

That really isn't the right approach at all. IFR table, along with the rest of the injector data should be set up front and left alone.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
That really isn't the right approach at all. IFR table, along with the rest of the injector data should be set up front and left alone.
I agree with both of you. Just need to back track here and get the IFR set properly. Then move on ahead to the VE.

Quick Reply: 2bar, fueling vs kpa