Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

68 Chevy II Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you have to modify that log manifold any to get it to fit? And did you use KB's crossover or did you make your own?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The log is only modified to put the wastegate where I wanted. The crossover was made by KB also. I called him (KB) and said I want the same setup that you built for Jarretts Nova but with no bungs or wastegate flange installed.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Good looking setup with a lot of progress in a short time.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 68II
The log is only modified to put the wastegate where I wanted. The crossover was made by KB also. I called him (KB) and said I want the same setup that you built for Jarretts Nova but with no bungs or wastegate flange installed.
I've been looking at the KB manifold for a while. A local guy has one sitting around and I've been contemplating back and forth whether or not to pick it up. I think he has the crossover also.

Why exactly didn't you want the bungs in it? Fitment purposes? Looking at the crossover, the O2 bungs and Wastegate wouldn't fit in a Nova. I'm using HPTuners and would still need the upstream sensors so I would prefer to just get this one with the bungs and if I ever need to, plugs for O2 holes are only a couple of dollars. I think he only wants $600 for the T6 flanged log and crossover.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've been looking at the KB manifold for a while. A local guy has one sitting around and I've been contemplating back and forth whether or not to pick it up. I think he has the crossover also.

Why exactly didn't you want the bungs in it? Fitment purposes? Looking at the crossover, the O2 bungs and Wastegate wouldn't fit in a Nova. I'm using HPTuners and would still need the upstream sensors so I would prefer to just get this one with the bungs and if I ever need to, plugs for O2 holes are only a couple of dollars. I think he only wants $600 for the T6 flanged log and crossover.

I didn't have him do the bungs because I am just running my O2's in the down pipe. Also the wastegate placement on the crossover is about the furthest from ideal I'm my opinion. I would call him up and see what the differences are for when he sells a setup for a nova first before buying the used kit.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

This whole work thing really puts a damper on a build, but I'm slowly chipping away. I've reached the pre wiring, 10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag stage.

Also got the fuel system finally wrapped up, PTFE sucks to work with by the way. Holley 12-1800 pump 100 & 10 micron Holley filters. Overkill but plenty of room the grow with this.

I just got in a bunch of 4" aluminum bends so hopefully I'll have some exhaust updates soon.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Restricted User

I didn't have him do the bungs because I am just running my O2's in the down pipe. Also the wastegate placement on the crossover is about the furthest from ideal I'm my opinion. I would call him up and see what the differences are for when he sells a setup for a nova first before buying the used kit.
If anything I can block off the wastegate port. O2 bung plugs are very in-expensive. I'll call and see what he does different for the Novas. This manifold and crossover setup would work great for me given its turbo placement.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I agree, it is very nice placement and there's no doubt of the potential this log has to make big power. Also the 4" down pipe I made, with just 2 45* bends and fits with about 1/2 clearance all around, so that's a big time saver fab wise.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

my setup is on the way from KB, I thought he said there was some interference with upper control arm on somebody's nova-I guess it depends on motor mounts
I think he was going to tuck mine in a little, do something with the crossover pipe
curious if the 02 sensor being after the manifold or after the turbo reads diff
did you use the whole truck acces. setup-I was going to use the vette setup, but can get a comp 5.3 with acces. dr for the same price as just the vette setup
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

I've been looking at the kb stuff for a while.
Where was the original location for the wastegate? Was it built into the crossover? It looks like your placement is almost ideal.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forcd ind
my setup is on the way from KB, I thought he said there was some interference with upper control arm on somebody's nova-I guess it depends on motor mounts
I think he was going to tuck mine in a little, do something with the crossover pipe
curious if the 02 sensor being after the manifold or after the turbo reads diff
did you use the whole truck acces. setup-I was going to use the vette setup, but can get a comp 5.3 with acces. dr for the same price as just the vette setup
I have all truck accessories, no power steering no A/C. Belt part number is Goodyear 4060715. Also had to change to straight thermostat housing to clear the turbo discharge. Also order the solid CarShopInc mounts, the motor fell into place with a good inch clearance to the heater core lower hose. Using the stock trans crossmember not modified also with my powerglide.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
I've been looking at the kb stuff for a while.
Where was the original location for the wastegate? Was it built into the crossover? It looks like your placement is almost ideal.
Yes the placement he uses is in the crossover so you basically are only bleeding off the drivers side. Stock48 told me his nova will not get under 18PSI with the gate in the crossover. That's why I stuck it where I did to help keep things under control better.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Looking good. I can't wait until the nice weather is gone. That way I'll hide in my garage and get my lq4 into my 66 nova. I wish I had theat much room in the bay in my 66. I'm going to do mine with the stock front clip and a 72mm turbo.

Maybe I missed it, but what size turbo is that?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Well it took the majority of the day but I have the 4" Aluminum exhaust fitted up! Still need to finish weld and make a couple hangers but I'm very happy that it was possible to run it out the stock position.

I used tube from frozen boost, it's listed at .065 but it actually measures .080 which is nice for butt welding. They have great prices on aluminum tube and it welds very nice.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Looking good. I can't wait until the nice weather is gone. That way I'll hide in my garage and get my lq4 into my 66 nova. I wish I had theat much room in the bay in my 66. I'm going to do mine with the stock front clip and a 72mm turbo.

Maybe I missed it, but what size turbo is that?
It's a borg 75mm 96 1.10 T4
Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Exhaust looks good.

It's a borg 75mm 96 1.10 T4

Sweet, I'm excited to see this bitch rocking and rolling! So is it primarily a cruiser, drag or daily driver? I really want a lightning fast spool, that's why I'm thinking of going with a 72mm unit. I'm real curious how the bw will spool for you.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man I'm real happy with how the exhaust came out. It was a drag only set up before but it's going to be on the street now. I'll definitely be racing it as well. It has a trans brake and 2 step so spooling at the track shouldn't be a problem, I hope.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Looks good. We can call you Stock49. :-)

I agree with the PTFE hose. Royal PITA. I really struggled with Fragola fittings. Earls steel were much nicer.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Ron, ya the Fragola is what I used and I'm just not impressed. The way the stainless braid creates the "interference" to crush the olive seems strange to me.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks Ron, ya the Fragola is what I used and I'm just not impressed. The way the stainless braid creates the "interference" to crush the olive seems strange to me.
I know. And you have to be really careful with the Teflon liner. It's easy to poke a hole in it when spreading the braid.
Earls uses a brass ferrule, and it's just better.
If a guy were going to do more of this, I'm sure there are special tools available.

Also smart to buy spare ferrules! Summit should offer them with the fittings. Or at lest make it easier to find them.

Car looks great btw!

Quick Reply: 68 Chevy II Build