Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinions on using forged LS1 or jumping to an LS2/3 for boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions on using forged LS1 or jumping to an LS2/3 for boost

Quick background, I just picked up a 2001 WS6 recently. Bought it purely as a project. Was in great shape with 106,000 miles on it. Going in in the next few weeks for a cage at MWC.

In stripping the interior out, I found a receipt from a dealership for $7500. It seems that back in 2010, the original engine let go and so they installed a new one at 55,000 miles. I'm imagining that this is an LS6 block as to my knowledge they do not produce the LS1 blocks anymore.

So my question, I want to do a procharged build as I've never done one. I've always done H/C stuff and that's it. I'm either wanting to keep the LS1/LS6 whatever it is, and have rods/pistons installed and go D1/F1, or Sell the long block and then go with a larger displacement.

Really what I'm looking for is to go low 10's with the car. I don't see a need for wanting to make absurd power and go 8's, but as with anything else, maybe some day I will.

I guess which way would you guys go? Just keep this block and forge, or go with something bigger? No doubt the LS2/3 is going to be more of an investment, that I potentially could dump into something else, like the rear end that I'll obviously need!

Thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I was in this same situation I would suggest selling the longblock and buying an lq4. For what you can get for an ls1 you could get a junkyard 5.3 or spring a little more for an lq4, forge the bottom end, and have money to spare for a decent fueling system.

Just something to consider. You can still make great power out of the Aluminum block as I am, but I'm getting to the point where the weakness is shared between being an aluminum block and the stock crankshaft.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willizm
As I was in this same situation I would suggest selling the longblock and buying an lq4. For what you can get for an ls1 you could get a junkyard 5.3 or spring a little more for an lq4, forge the bottom end, and have money to spare for a decent fueling system.

Just something to consider. You can still make great power out of the Aluminum block as I am, but I'm getting to the point where the weakness is shared between being an aluminum block and the stock crankshaft.
What do used LS1's go for? I see members on here asking for $400-$1000 for them. Not sure if they even go for that.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's just going to forge an LQ4/9, why wouldn't he just do that to his LS1/6? Lighter weight and easier to cool in the summer. He only wants to go 10's. He can do that easy on a forged LS1/6. If it is an LS6, it will have the good heads on it too.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the casting number on the heads and block should give you a good idea what you have.

Quick Reply: Opinions on using forged LS1 or jumping to an LS2/3 for boost