Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gathering parts for Nova build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Gathering parts for Nova build

since its never been done before, I am gathering parts to drop an LS in a 70 Nova-LOL
Read a bunch of your builds, pretty straight forward like my LS's in a chevelle, just not as much room
had a 6.0 as a spare for my chevelle, but the cyls had some rust, not sure I can hone it and save the stock bore/pistons, if a bore is needed, either buy new pistons, keep rods, or hell with it and build another stroker-it will get LS3 heads, prob be a blowthru carb. to start-Procharged or turbo, still up in the air, but I have had 10-15 Procharged cars, so who knows
inbet. gathering parts, i'll do the body/paint, weld in a couple floor sections
Was an air car, i'll rem. all that, either weld up the hole and use aftermarket AC or convert to stock BB style heater/core
Not sure if I can mount a comp. down low on the pass side, thought I saw it on here where notching was done and it fit-wouldn't mind seeing that pick again-I have cut back on some fabbin as I got older, if I can buy it and it works, doesn't break the bank, I go that direction, lol
At 68 prob one of my last builds, I can still knock out Chuck Norris before breakfast, but I find myself wanting to do less, but get it done quicker (sure hope Chuck doesn't see this, lol)
Anyway, as I move along i'll post some stuff
Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Compressor hits the frame when mounted down low. You can mount it high on the passenger side just fine, there is a bracket out there for this but I can't remember who sells it at the moment.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

there is a ton of guys on here with ls powered novas. I think you can build it turbo and fuel injected cheaper than you think. if you do some fab work . I went with a complete 6.0 truck engine flipped the manifolds and welded them up to fit around the frame . I also run the truck intake and t.b. bought a microsquirt and built the harness myself . and downloaded tunerstudio to tune with. much more cost effective than stock ecm and hptuners. I do all my own work and my sbc to 6.0 turbo build cost me just over 3 grand and I love it . best thing I ever did to the car .
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the truck intake fit under a stock hood?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

It fit under my 2" cowl with room to spare. Without shaving the top of it.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I looked at the mega squirt kit once as a cheap alt. to the Holley HP
but after having the HP it had some pretty cool features
I would have to look at what the MS costs all totaled up vs the HP
a lot depends right now on if I can save the engine's stock
components, or if I have to bore it-trying to stay on budget, lol
I do all my own work, and I work cheap, so that helps
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Awesome, I'm not the oldest guy on the board!

Ron
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Thought this might help some of you guys, its the only a/c bracket I've found that I didn't need to notch the frame. Fits 68-72 chevelles perfectly, might work well on a nova also.
*I did need to modify the lower bracket for tierod clearance though*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251001189919?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

interesting bracket-I don't mind taking a notch out of the frame to make it fit
I think I have a Sanden comp, but the bracket for an LS engine interfered with the motor mounts-I have the truck AC bracket also, but it takes a diff comp.
hopefully someone here is older, I don't want to be "that guy", lol
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Any of you third gen nova guys run AC with an air to air intercooler? Curious if there was space up front. I've seen where most people have to notch the radiator bracket just to get the intercooler to fit.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

not a lot of progress, still doing body work, collecting engine parts
got my KB Racing hot side, ordered S475 turbo, cam
got my 6.0 back from the machine shop-I had the block cleaned, honed, new cam bearings
rods/pistons cleaned and checked-since they were there I had then install ARP bolts-they were able to install them at spec. torq. and didn't change the big end, still true and round-polished the crank
I guess its no longer a junkyard motor, lol-if the can bearings were not bad I would have just replaced the rings and honed it (rings were frozen in place on the pistons, would never have sealed) not how I prefer to do an engine, but it should be ok
more body work today, should just leave front fenders after today-mig tank running on fumes, gotta refill it, prices on that have gone out of site

Quick Reply: Gathering parts for Nova build