Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

t56/76mm real street/x235 build

Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56/76mm real street/x235 build

Well this may not be the best idea ive ever had but bc most say it cant be done were going for it. im prob gonna post this in the drag racing tech and forced induction sections so may be some info not totally related to the section. A little background on the car as many of you know it was a 416ci nitrous car and is currently the 2nd fastest gm 6speed car ever and the fastest that is currently still a m6 car. its been 8.80@155 with the nitrous combo so were looking to put a hurting on that number this year with the turbo combo if we can make it work with the t56. i know it makes it hard to compete with the front runners in the class racing but the stick is to much fun and my main goals at the moment are to set records with the t56 and have the combo that will compete up front when the time comes to go auto.

this was the best pass from last year had more in it but the clutch had been through enough hell and started slipping and was to late in the year to make anymore passes

Every part of the car is changing this year there are only a few hard parts like the shocks that are not all new **** for this year. this is still definatly a very budget oriented build. i have had a good bit of help from so very smart people along the way with this build. big thanks to Monster clutches, rpm transmissions, Brian tooley racing, midwest chassis, s&m motorsports and rhodus fabrication have all played a part so far.

the new combo is
365ci iron block
tfs 245 heads
ca625 head studs
11.5:1 compression
hyd roller cam
edelbrock pro flow intake
cast 76mm (x235 rules) from crt
air 2 water
holley dominator efi
rpm faceplated t56
monster lt1r twin disk
full midwest chassis susupension
mwc fab 9"

i got a late start on this build trying to make my mind up on if i should switch or not. this build has been underway since january and is almost complete right now. just now getting around to a build thread.

here is a few pics of how the car used to sit.

the car came in at 3200-3275lbs last year 200lbs over weight for my class minimums. were hoping the car is gonna come in at about the same weight this year while adding the iron block, turbo, intercooler, and ice box, so we decided to do some major cutting to drop weight and get the car to scale how we want it.

first off i decided to ditch all the mild steel bmr suspension parts and stock spindles i had up front for a full race kit from midwest chassis which should drop a good chunk of weight up front. never got a weight on how much

the new mwc rear end and suspension. rear alone comes in 40lbs lighter than the 9" i had last year. the new one has a bolt though alum center section and 40 spline gun drilled axles. the tq arm dropped about 10lbs from the unit i had last year and the anti roll bar is lighter.

also ditching the hood i had last year for a new vfn lift off and a lexan windshield to drop some more weight.

we are rewiring the whole car as well. i pulled all the wiring out of the car and had a 35lb pile of tangled wire...
Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

parts rolling in. holley dominator and chiseled performance ice box with rule pump.

mock up t6 turbo and intercooler waiting for the fab work to begin. cant find a pic of the intercooler alone right now with will have some with the progress pics.

motor parts are in and ready to go to the engine builders. this is just gonna be a cheap shortblock for now till i build a 6 bolt motor. this should handle as much as the 4 bolt heads staying down can.

compstar crank and h beam rods

custom wiseco pistons

i will be asembling the top end myself, using arp custom age 625 head studs instead of doing 1/2 studs. morel lifters, btr springs, harland rockers, 3/8 pushrods. trick flow 245 heads and edelbrock pro-flo intake.

ive got a tone more to post but ill have to get to that later tonight have things to do right now.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been waiting on this build for some time now. The car looks great and I'm sure the car will fly with the T56. Does the Holley unit have Anti-Lag that you can use? Something to keep boost up in between shifts?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this car and what your doing with it. Good luck man. Also if you have the cash I remember seeing CF "factory replacement" doors on here the other day. I think the guy shed like 120lbs
Old 06-29-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome man, its good to see you going this route. I have been wanting to do something similar with my car but keep changing my mine.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

went and had one of my sets of rear wheels beadlocked

got the new front suspension parts together

got the mock up motor in the car and took the car to the chassis shop to get started on the turbo and chassis fab decided to keep the car on solid motor mounts and also motor plated but no mid plate. first thing we did was start cutting. chopped the cowl back and then took the whole core support and frame horns off and started trying to figure out how we wanted to lay out the set up.

getting the frame tied together before cutting any more

turbo and radiator locations set in stone and mounts made

Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

started building the frame work for the front body panels.

now it was time to really start taking some weight out. we decided to cut the entire cowl off and extend the firewall straight up. and took off everything except the strut towers to make sure we stayed within the stock suspension location rules. not gonna lie its a bit nerve racking going to the chassis shop to see your car cut up this much wonding how the hell its going back together, but jim has been doing an awesome job with the fab work.

new clutch showed up from monster the lt1r twin disk and the old level 2 billet twin going back for a rebuild as a back up. also have both my faceplated and syncronized transmissions from rpm ready to roll. And the short block is now down and ready for me to put the top end together.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:40 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get detailed pics of the firewall going back together. Killer project!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
Get detailed pics of the firewall going back together. Killer project!
its already back together the cars at paint now. just getting time to start a thread. ill post more pics tonight
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome build
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is badass.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Teching In

looks sick ray love watching ur car at the local races. I seen u always had the slight upper hand on josh n years past, he has quite the sick setup himself this year u think ur setup gonna be able to top his lol.you goin with the same color paint or a custom paint scheme?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Teching In

what kinda radiator are you using
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

tieing the cage into the strut towers and front frame rails.

starting on the hotside fab using truck manifolds

i got the top end put together and long block done

Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91lscoupe
looks sick ray love watching ur car at the local races. I seen u always had the slight upper hand on josh n years past, he has quite the sick setup himself this year u think ur setup gonna be able to top his lol.you goin with the same color paint or a custom paint scheme?
Originally Posted by 91lscoupe
what kinda radiator are you using
i plan on spanking that ***. his car is still a bit heavy. and its a griffin radiator like i ran last year just a bit taller and narrower but about the same surface area
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

started to build the cold side, opted to put the intercooler inside to aid in the weight distibution. also wanted to keep the passenger seat useable bc this car will so some light street time.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Teching In

dam went busy cutting some sheet metake didnt ya
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! In for more pics
Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build and its coming along nicely......how wide is the rear end if you don't mind..??
Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking really good Ray. Keep up the good work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: t56/76mm real street/x235 build