Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What fuel injection for newbie to fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fuel injection for newbie to fuel injection

I'm going to be throwing a 5.3 in my car and it has me thinking of going fuel injection, but I have no clue about the wizardry of fuel injection!

Not new to forced induction, the car currently has a gen 1 small block with a s400 and a "crutch" style carb, but it's been a pain to get the tune right and at this point I'd rather have the ease of fuel injection.

The 5.3 I got had the harness on it but the idiots cut tons of wires so it's pretty much trash. I'd be ok with some sort of stand alone system, but I want to be able to tune it myself, I don't want to have to go to a dyno and have someone else do it for every little change on the car. The car is pretty stripped down so I don't have to worry about transmission control, or tying alot of stuff into the current harness. It's pretty bare bones, with everything being run through a switch panel (starter/ignition, fans, fuel pump) the cars harness was left to control just the lights.

What would be some good systems to look at and learn with? I'll be going 5.3 with I think a triple 12 cam, s400, probably looking for 550whp I'd say.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know tons of guys use megasquirt for handling fuel injection, take a look at what Denmah uses and suggests. Just use the search tool, the guy knows what hes doing. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have the coin Holley EFI is the way to go IMO. It was plug and play with the harnesses and the software is easy to use. If you don't have an electronic trans and don't need a lot of I/O's you can get the HP version.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I have the holley HP system on my gen1 SBC. Super easy to use/navigate. I fiddled with a carb for two years and after 15min of running with the fuel injection I had it running better and doubled my gas mileage. Suggest you download the software on there website and play around with it.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I read denmahs thread on the micro squirt deal he does and I was lost lol. I'd be better of having the stuff in my hands to figure it out.

I'll check the Holley hp set up out, I'm ok with spending some money if it's an easy set up and will have me running good. I'm still fighting with the carb on my car and I'm tired of it.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

about 650 dollars for a plug and play microsquirt with wiring harness for a LS based motor, with a base tune loaded is pretty awesome

and it is basically boiled down to a fuel and spark table at its simplest.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Denmah, I reread your write up on the microsquirt and I'm starting to pick up on it all. I looked at efisource and they have the LS ready microsquirt for 390, and the plug and play for 795. Where are you referring to the 650 set up, am I missing some stuff using the 390 one?

I'm leaning towards the plug and play one, I really don't feel like messing with adding all the plugs to the plain harness.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a friend who wires them and sells them for 650
he is on the sloppy mechanics face book group

his name is shannon taylor
he lives in Kentucky
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant beat Microsquirt for the price people have had success with it, otherwise Holley EFI can get it done very well also.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Teching In

So I opted for the microsquirt (thanks matt)

Next stupid question of the day. I got an LS1 manifold off a friend, I'm going to use the 80lb injectors with it. The manifold is bare, can I use the fuel rails off the truck manifold or will I need different rails? I'm shooting in the dark here because I've never played with injection before.

Quick Reply: What fuel injection for newbie to fuel injection