Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1997 Wrangler AES 390 / S484 Billet / 4WD / Trail Rig

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely turned out to be ringlands.

Don't know what I'm going to do. I only pulled one piston so far, it was trash.

Really don't have money for forged stuff right now.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rods are bent too...
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
I figured I would wait until she made a couple WOT pulls to share, but I am not running any wastegate.... Thats right... NO WASTEGATE She's out an running now. She's... pretty quick. Im very pleased with her. With the 100# springs, it is hard to keep her on the road, I am going to put a small swaybar on the back to help with this. It is very dangerous right now. At WOT, she is about to roll over... I thought my buddy was going to fall out. haha During the street tune, @70%throttle, I saw 24#, 11.8AFR, 14* timing, 230* IAT, 85% inj duty(70psi base + 1:1) Later that night I played in a wheat field. Had a blast, I was seeing 30# on my gauge, AFRs were fine. Im not sure how much boost stacking there is. but it was insanely fast. Idk where my IATs were, but my compressor was too hot to touch, I had to let it cool several times. I would love to know how fast I am spinning that wheel... After my last run, which was a few minutes on his ATV track, must at WOT, my manifolds were glowing, bright orange. Im not too worried about failures, and it sure seems I will find one soon.
I'm not trying to be an *** here, but... Get a junkyard engine. Then fix everything you seemed to be aware of in the quoted paragraph. Why would you not run a waste gate and let IATs go so high? I wouldn't do that on a forged engine if you decide to build one- unless you like expensive paper weights. ;-) Moving on------> Kudos on blowing that some bitch up like a boss! Carnage pics are a must!!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

F that noise. She was quick. I have friends who have been running 300* IATs on non-IC E85 for years... without issue. Albeit, not on stock longblocks....

I'm not worried about blowing **** up... I'm learning. I'm pressing limits. I have never and will never be satisfied with mediocre. But I do understand your point and appreciate it. I was actually thinking about going that direction, but I'm not done having fun
Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does it matter that it was the second and third Ringland? Anybody have any input on that?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Does it matter that it was the second and third Ringland? Anybody have any input on that?
Detonation.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Detonation.
I like the power I was making. For now, its getting a spare 5.3. I may stick a gate on it, but ill definitely lower timing a bit to keep it alive.

In the mean time, Ill get the 6.0 cleaned up. Fill it a bit, get the bores cleaned up, pistons and rods, and the 80 comp wheel.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 07-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

updates on this beast?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was really lacking in off road performance, So I tore it all down. Basically a full tube chassis right now.

Im tired of being **** on by JohnnyKnowItAll, when I post in progress pictures. But Ill definitely update when I get her back together. Its going to be pretty bad ***. Chassis work is almost done.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

add a WG and keep it limited to 18psi and 12deg timing and see how long it lasts
Old 10-28-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah
add a WG and keep it limited to 18psi and 12deg timing and see how long it lasts
Yea. I threw a SBE 5.3 in and ran it at 15#. It was nice to get some miles on it. It was twice the power I need off road. but on road, I missed the big power.

I've been busy with a lot of chassis work, and a very unique stance.
(Yes, I know it looks a bit obnoxious, but it was necessary to get the uptravel and ride height I wanted)

5" rear stretch
Engine is moved back 6.5" and over 1.5"
16" travel shocks

Its nowhere near done, but here is an update.

THIS IS SITTING ON THE BUMPSTOPS, It'll ride ~8" higher than this offroad
but I'm going to experiment with lower ride heights for the street.

In the meantime, I have decided I want to make decent power reliably, so im stepping my game up.

FI S484 is on the way. (Will be mid mounted, Abudabi style) (packaging is insane with 4wd and this much uptravel)

and Im currently deciding on a builder for a ~370. It'll be LQ4 block based, nothing crazy.

Cooling system is going big. Fuel system is going big.

Im gonna run it on low boost for awhile, while I save for a built 80e and Dana Super60 for the front.

Goal is to have it done for next year, I plan on daily driving it for awhile, lots of wheeling, and if its ready, Drag week.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 10-28-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Nice! I'll definitely be following this haha. I have a TJ as a winter/trail rig and want to eventually do a turbo 5.3 swap
Old 11-11-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chassis is almost finished. She just needs a few more mounts and then I can finish weld everything, and start working on all the skins. The end is in sight.

Old S472 vs the new S484
Old 11-11-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is everyone using for a coupler off their racecover inlet. That 5.5" is tricky.

This is all I just found. I dont really have a lot of room.
http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=RHH8
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Looks bad ***. What kind of wheeling are you building it for? My guess would be rocks
Old 11-12-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Its turning out better than I ever imagined.

Im not really building it for anything specific. Most of the wheeling I do is just grown over fire trails to go camping. I would like to get into some harder trails; rocks, sand dunes, etc. My overall aim was to build something that could handle all the horsepower offroad, i.e;low center of gravity, lots of uptravel.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Love this build. How much of the TJ sheet metal is going to be reused? Will you be able to use this as a DD ie will it have a functional heater/defroster? Is any of this being done with an eye toward selling a chassis so that someone could take their TJ and duplicate what you have done?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsteele
Love this build. How much of the TJ sheet metal is going to be reused? Will you be able to use this as a DD ie will it have a functional heater/defroster? Is any of this being done with an eye toward selling a chassis so that someone could take their TJ and duplicate what you have done?
Stock sheetmetal doors,windshield, some of the cowl, and a modified grille. It will have full skins including inner wheel wells front and rear w/ sound deadening. Stock door surrounds will work, and I will be modifying the stock soft top to match the dovetail.

I cant wait to get this thing back in DD duty. Im going to use the rear radiator as my heater. With a speed/directional controller, it should work well.

Im not sure what you mean, this is essentially a full tube chassis now. I can count the stock parts on one hand, if I were to do another I wouldn't start with a wrangler. I would just buy the couple pieces I needed.

Quick Reply: 1997 Wrangler AES 390 / S484 Billet / 4WD / Trail Rig