Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost controller function

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default boost controller function

since I am new to the turbo world, I have to ask-what does a boost controller do-I am guessing it cuts back on the boost a wastegate sees, tricking it into letting boost rise?
I thought on a waste gate you used springs that open at a set pressure/boost
thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
since I am new to the turbo world, I have to ask-what does a boost controller do-I am guessing it cuts back on the boost a wastegate sees, tricking it into letting boost rise?
thanks
The wastegate has a set pressure based on the spring you use. A boost controller basically pushes against that pressure from the top port using a controller. So if you have a 10lb spring in your wastegate you can use the boost controller solenoid to apply additional pressure to the top keeping it closed and allowing more exhaust to build additional boost instead of bleeding it off with spring pressure alone
Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
thanks
Correct on both counts.

But normally it's boost pressure pushing against the spring ( plus EGBP ) that forces the w/g open to control boost.

So if you start to bleed air off that signal line, there will be less pressure against the spring, gate will remain closed and engine will make more boost.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another bonus is that they can help build boost a little quicker. lets say you have a 10# spring. the gate will start to open before the rated boost, but with a controller you can keep it closed completely until the boost level you have it set at. On my greddy controller it is called "start boost". If set too high it can cause a little spike though. It's not a whole lot of difference, just a little quicker getting to peak boost.

Quick Reply: boost controller function