Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1998 Trans Am 402/4L80E/S484 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick update, I dropped the oil pan and drilled/tapped it for a higher drain. Since the old one was welded in already, I just capped it with a little thread sealant on the mating surfaces.

After that was done, I got the motor and trans back in the car. It's not a turbo yet, but it feels like a milestone of its own.

And since this turbo build thread doesn't really have anything turbo in it yet...

Huron Speed was super fast getting me the wastegates and BOV.
And Jose got me a real nice looking unit. I originally specced it to be ceramic coated black, but it's race season and it got overlooked. No biggie though, as I'll just send it out when I have my downpipe done.

Next up, saving a LOT of pennies for the injectors and fuel pump. Still working on cleaning up brackets and stuff, and more wire soldering lol.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've just been collecting parts for the last 4 months. LT1Ray's TA motivated me to get moving again lol. Hopefully the next month or so should see a lot of progress.

The Huron Speed hot side piping showed up mid December, nice looking kit. I got the manifolds and merge pipe wrapped last week and bolted on. I think it turned out pretty good. It took four 1" x 50' rolls and a little more 2" DEI Titanium to finish up the last foot or so.

Here's what it looks like on the car.

I'm not going to be able to use much of the downpipe for what I want to do. There's no way to use a 4" pipe past the engine block now so I'm probably going to split to two 3" pipes going around the motor mount, and dump one thru a cutout. Looks like I'll get to practice some stainless TIG after all lol.

The vapor bypass lines should be here in a few days so I can get the intake on and start the fuel lines. I went to change out my pump pre-filter element and found something interesting.

Looks like the shop I had sump my tank and install the A1000 pump/lines got a little crazy with the Permatex..... Good thing I checked.

Anyway, the throttle body should be back from powdercoating this week, but other than that, the intake is ready to go. This is Slo_240sx's old one, I think it'll work pretty good at the power level I'm shootin' for.

Looks like I'm gonna have to cut up the cable bracket and have it re-chromed

I took some vacation in February so there should be more updates on the way soon.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

A little more progress lately. I got the fuel lines run (8AN & 6AN PFTE) to the back. I still need to mount the coil packs, run the plug wires, and run the cold side piping and the engine bay should be done.

I should have the rest of the fittings I need Monday to get the 4303 pump and filters mounted.

No matter how bad I wanted it, I couldn't squeeze a 4" down pipe past the manifolds so I dumped it up front and have a Sound Performance cutout coming so it'll only open under a few pounds of boost. I still have to run a 3" back to the Magnaflow exhaust.

Also working on moving the trans cooler to a better location, as there's no room for it where I had it before, now.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Got some more work done lately. I finally got the fuel system all finished. It's 10AN to the pump, 8AN to the rails, and 6AN back.

I put the heat shields back on to keep the fuel cool. Once I see how the exhaust fits, I'll extend it to cover the filter and pump too.

I also notched the front of the bumper support and relocated the trans cooler.

I'm planning on opening up the license plate cover to make sure it has airflow.

And finally, I welded up a mount for the relay boxes.

I've been soldering like crazy extending the harness. I'm about 80% done.
With any luck I should have the rest of the cold side and downpipe welding done by Friday.

Getting closer
Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

nice work .
Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

I can't believe how time consuming tube notching can be, especially at less than right angles involving different size pipes lol. Everybody that has done this stuff on their own builds, I salute you!! I pretty much spent all day on exhaust piping just getting past the engine block, but other than one more angle under the starter, it's done. Only had around 1/2" or so on each side in spots. should be easy to route back to the muffler from here.

Surprisingly, I could still fit one more band clamp in there lol. (P.S. Summit band clamps are loose as hell...)

The SPracing cutout fits in there snug, not much room to spare. Still not sure if I'm going to extend the exhaust down another couple inches, maybe...

Also gained some ground on the charge pipes.

Still waiting on my throttle body (got damaged while out powdercoating, waiting on a replacement) so I can't finish the last bend or 2 until it shows up.

So far, it looks like only 7 total feet of charge pipe and a small A-W intercooler. Hopefully that will speed up spool time a little

Last edited by V-10 Killer; 02-21-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build looks great bro! Cant wait to see this finished.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Build looks good. I know this seams like an odd question, but do you happen to have a link to the air filter you are using? It is probably an AFE filter. I am going to be running the Huron Speed T6 Kit and hopefully will have a thread up here in a couple of weeks and am sourcing the final parts. Thanks and good luck with your build.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by f4rmost
Build looks good. I know this seams like an odd question, but do you happen to have a link to the air filter you are using? It is probably an AFE filter. I am going to be running the Huron Speed T6 Kit and hopefully will have a thread up here in a couple of weeks and am sourcing the final parts. Thanks and good luck with your build.
Mine was an AFE-24-55510
It fits a 5.5" inlet flange.
If you needed one for a 5" flange, I'm sure the AFE-24-50510 would fit. I think that's the one LT1Ray is using on his.
The AFE-24-99999 is 2" longer and I'm pretty sure it'd fit on a 5" flange.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Mine was an AFE-24-55510
It fits a 5.5" inlet flange.
If you needed one for a 5" flange, I'm sure the AFE-24-50510 would fit. I think that's the one LT1Ray is using on his.
The AFE-24-99999 is 2" longer and I'm pretty sure it'd fit on a 5" flange.
Thank you very much! I have the race cover, so the inlet is 5.5" and yours will work perfectly. Thanks again and good luck on the build. I am looking foward to seeing how it will turn out.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great work!!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Well, still waiting on the throttle body. [sigh]
Just to keep myself busy, I got things around and made up a nice mounting plate for the switches and boost controller. Found a great match for ebony interior plastic. Duplicolor Dark Charcoal bumper paint. I textured the paint while it was wet, and it came out really nice.

I also got the MightyMouse catchcan mounted. It's a draft style can so one hose runs around to a bulkhead fitting I put on the air filter. Still looking for some vacuum fittings to make the last connections, but it's getting there.

Magnaflow catback's ordered. Should have all that tied in next week.

Since the factory battery mount won't fit there anymore, I'm working on getting a billet mount to hold the battery down. It'll have to be good enough there until I can figure out if I'm gonna move it back by the back/drivers side.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Looking great man.
THat crap you found in your fuel filter. I know how you feel. When i had my tank sumped years ago the place left a Scott shop rag in my tank. SUre as ****, about 5 months ago my pump started sounding funny. Then one day it didnt turn on. That towel is what i found all wadded up in the filter. What a PITA.

Your build looks great. WHo built the first 402? Not alot of ETP heads out there.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

I got the 402 short block from Scoggin Dickey when they started putting out their 402 LS2's. I got to ~500 rwhp out of it with the ETP's and 242/248 cam. I'm very satisfied with the heads, it's a shame ETP's gone.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Some more updates. I finished up the cold side piping. Still have to test fit the hood though, so I might have to modify that yet.

I also finished up the exhaust.

It should be good enough for this year. I'll probably modify a few spots once summers done. It currently sets pretty close to the starter and fuel pump. I've got some 2" DEI Titanium left so I'm gonna see if that keeps things happy for now. And I'm not overly happy of the fitment of the Magnaflow yet, gotta massage that a little.

Still on the to-do list:
Get battery mounted
Set base fuel pressure and correct injector scaling in the tune
Finish installing new trans temp gauge
Finish wiring for line lock/transbrake/boost controller

done.

I might actually celebrate by giving that thing a bath. After almost 4 years hiding in the garage, it might show itself in public again lol.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Soooo close to powering this thing up tonight.....
I got the battery tray installed. I swapped a standard battery terminal bolt back in from the previous brass accessory stud, and this bolt's too short... Tomorrow I guess.

I also got the front bumper cover back on and trimmed to fit the intercooler and opened the plate cover opening so the trans cooler can breathe. Still gotta open up the plate cover yet, but that'll be done soon.

I also got the Aerocatch pins installed. I'm still not sure if 2 will be enough at ~140mph trap speed since the center latch is gone... Good enough for break-in miles and tuning I guess.

Also finished up the interior, with exception to the transbrake button. I still use the factory steering wheel and factory shifter, so I'm not sure how/where I'm gonna mount it yet. (the 2 red wires are for that transbrake button)

I was planning on starting with NGK TR6 plugs which some people have good luck with at low boost, but I might try B8EFS plugs. I don't have any BR7EF plugs handy and no local auto parts stores seem to stock them. I think the 8's will be good enough for break-in miles and getting it tuned. I doubt I'll get all the way to 15psi before I see heat/knock issues anyway.

Anyway, I have them all pulled now, along with the fuel pump fuse, so I can prime the oil pump. The only major stopping block I can see coming up is if my HPTuners cable doesn't wanna play with my new(er) laptop.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Another thing I'm a little worried about, the turbo blanket is actually (lightly) touching the radiator fins. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to run it... I really don't wanna damage the radiator. If I have to pull the turbo blanket, what can I put on the bottom of the hood to keep the heat from baking it?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I need the fuse box relocation box you made!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, will you tell me exactly how much wrap to get and what widths to do my headers like yours?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by a.white86
Also, will you tell me exactly how much wrap to get and what widths to do my headers like yours?
Check out Post #22 on page 3.

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am 402/4L80E/S484 build