Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

please help me on my rear mount turbo oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me on my rear mount turbo oil issue

hi im new in the forum and a proud owner of a trans am. i want to boost it with the rear mount setup with a t88 greddy turbo stock motor. so my questions is if my oil setup is right, look at my attachment for a diagram i did and what is the max hp on the motor u can gain with stock bottom end. please help thankyou. i will keep this site completely updated with my build and lots and lots of pictures with details. any help on extra things like fuel tunning and so on will also be helpful thanku. this is my first turbo build ever so i am new at this but i am a full time technicion so i got tools and an idea of what i am foing.
Attached Thumbnails please help me on my rear mount turbo oil issue-tubro-kit.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Your setup looks good. As you may already know the oil setup on rear mounts can easily make or break them. I tried putting a one way check valve on the outlet of my scavenge pump but it caused too much restriction and the oil backed up. I'm also not running an oil sump. Instead I took a piece of copper tubing and maded a U under the turbo to allow some volume to clear out of the turbo and to allow some of the oil in the line from the scavenge pump to the engine to flow back when I shut the engine off. I also made a simple circuit that makes my scavenge pump run 20-30 seconds after my engine shuts off by continuing to power the scavenge pump relay to allow any oil still in the system to be pumped to the engine.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Make sure your drain line is as large as the drain hole on the turbo itself. I like to use ¾ ID copper plumbing pipe. Used this on 3 builds so far. I solder the connections and have never had one come loose or leak to this day. Getting the oil out of the drain quickly seems to be the biggest problem on most turbo setups. A large sump with vent like you have seems ideal to me.

What will the car be used for? Weight? HP goal? ET goal?

A T88 is overkill for a rear mount setup on a stock motor build IMO. You don’t need 1300hp worth of turbo. It will be harder to spool than a turbo sized correctly for your goals. I’d look into the BW S400 T4 turbos in the 74-76mm range. Guessing your running the LS1? IF so that’s a “Gen3” motor with the “weak” rods. I’d suggest 600hp or so at the wheels is semi-reliable with a good tune. Many are making more, some have had problems with less. Power/longevity depends on the tune, base fuel, abuse levels etc.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fire67bird
Your setup looks good. As you may already know the oil setup on rear mounts can easily make or break them. I tried putting a one way check valve on the outlet of my scavenge pump but it caused too much restriction and the oil backed up. I'm also not running an oil sump. Instead I took a piece of copper tubing and maded a U under the turbo to allow some volume to clear out of the turbo and to allow some of the oil in the line from the scavenge pump to the engine to flow back when I shut the engine off. I also made a simple circuit that makes my scavenge pump run 20-30 seconds after my engine shuts off by continuing to power the scavenge pump relay to allow any oil still in the system to be pumped to the engine.
okay i like the idea of the leaving the pump running for a few seconds to drain the oil like a turbo timer. i definitely do that instead of the check valve. it is obvious that a check valve will also restrict at the same time. but how far do you have the pump from turbo itself? what size line should i use for the feed?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Make sure your drain line is as large as the drain hole on the turbo itself. I like to use ¾ ID copper plumbing pipe. Used this on 3 builds so far. I solder the connections and have never had one come loose or leak to this day. Getting the oil out of the drain quickly seems to be the biggest problem on most turbo setups. A large sump with vent like you have seems ideal to me.

What will the car be used for? Weight? HP goal? ET goal?

A T88 is overkill for a rear mount setup on a stock motor build IMO. You don’t need 1300hp worth of turbo. It will be harder to spool than a turbo sized correctly for your goals. I’d look into the BW S400 T4 turbos in the 74-76mm range. Guessing your running the LS1? IF so that’s a “Gen3” motor with the “weak” rods. I’d suggest 600hp or so at the wheels is semi-reliable with a good tune. Many are making more, some have had problems with less. Power/longevity depends on the tune, base fuel, abuse levels etc.
i love the copper tubing idea!!!!! u think it could be possible as will for the feed line, if so what size?? of course i will have a flexible steel braided lines at each end of the copper tubing. i just don't like the dirty look of flexible hoses running everywhere. i was aiming at 500 but now that u tell me that my motor can hold 600. what is the max our stock fuel system can handle before boom!!. i am going to use the car as my daily driving car and track here and there. i don't push the car at all unless i am at the track. i have seen to many accidents and scared of hurting somebody so i drive safe in the streets. is it true our stock computers can be tuned? the reason why i am using the t88 is because my friend wrecked his rx7 and gave it to me for 60 bucks and for now i want to use the money to get the setup up and running and near the future ill change it. and yes its 2000 Pontiac trans am. and for the charging pipe i was think if using 2in for it can spool faster what do you think?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

My scavenge pump is fairly close to the turbo but I have about 3 feet of copper tubing in a u shape that connects them together for a little accumulation. For the feed line I used a 3/8" hydraulic line but if I were to do it again I would go with the 1/4" line. I grabbed the 3/8" only because it was long enough in one piece.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 PM

okay so let me get this straight to see if i understand you. in between the turbo and the scavengercer pump you have 3 feet copper tubing bent in a u shape connecting the turbo and scanvenger pump right. do you by any chance have a pic of the setup i can see to get a better idea. and also do u have a check valve on the feed side? i also heard something about a restrictor for the feed line?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:40 AM

like this. let me know if its good.
Attached Thumbnails please help me on my rear mount turbo oil issue-tubro-kit.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Teching In

I would suggest just returning the oil return into the oil pan, I was never a big fan of an oil line return in the engine bay near hot exhaust manifolds....and like stated before an 88mm is more turbo than you need an nice 76-78mm turbo will spool just fine and have plenty of capacity to support a stock LS1. A good tune and good fuel system is key also but that should go without saying.....on a side note I might be selling part of my custom rear mount setup everything minus turbo and intercooler PM me if interested and good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: please help me on my rear mount turbo oil issue