Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I thought I was the only TT LS S30 untill someone burst my bubble last month enjoy it while/If it lasts!
I'd galdly paypall someone $10 for their time if they can find evidence of anothr one running and driving. There is one on the works-but its still on jackstands
Old 09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
I'd galdly paypall someone $10 for their time if they can find evidence of anothr one running and driving. There is one on the works-but its still on jackstands
One thing you have to remember is that not everyone makes build threads and posts pictures on the net. In most cases the old school guys that are really getting **** (fast) done don't have the time or just don't care I'm not trying to take away from your accomplishment becuase what you've done is badass but don't be surprised if you see another one is all I'm sayin.

Last edited by oscs; 09-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you have to remember is that not everyone makes build threads and posts pictures on the net. In most cases the old school guys that are really getting **** (fast) done don't have the time or just don't care I'm not trying to take away from your accomplishment becuase what you've done is badass but don't be surprised if you see another one is all I'm sayin.

****, there is an LS powered 2nd gen eclipse that i got pics of sent to me from LS Fest... I've never heard of that before lol.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
****, there is an LS powered 2nd gen eclipse that i got pics of sent to me from LS Fest... I've never heard of that before lol.
yeah that would be a first for me too.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree 100%, but most old school guys are just now getting out of SBC stuff and moving to the LS platform. I think the LS swap movement has been pushed and popularized by the internet/forums and in that nature, most notable builds have made it to some corner of the internet whether it be by a build thread, or a random picture.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Once I get it sorted out, you want to have a king of the hill dyno day? No one leaves until one of us have the record.
Never saw this but I'm in haha. I want to get some runs in with a few people and hit the track first but I have no problem turning it up some more and seeing what happens.

Its was over 90 and humid the day i dyno'd. One of these cool night should do the trick!

Good luck getting it sorted out
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back on the ground and accumulating miles. It is super hairy on 255 street tires and I am not even getting into boost yet I likely will need to switch to a stock rear shock/spring to get some weight transfer back for track time.

She has a significant coolant leak at the water pump to heater hose connection. Have anyone even converted that the a threaded barb?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive seen it somewhere before but they threaded in a plug. A threaded barb would be the same damn thing realy.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Yup,1/2 and 3/8 taps...or so they say below. I tapped mine for plugs, forgot what size taps I ended up using.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ses-plugs.html

After seeing what 700whp pulls do to a new set of drag radials, I'd want the crappy tires on the car for dyno play. Whens the date? How much boost you plan on running?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya good radials or slicks are never recommended on the dyno. Seen slicks blow out (and take a window / fender with it) and seen good radials chewed to crap , spares with el cheepo winter tires always worked for me
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Yup,1/2 and 3/8 taps...or so they say below. I tapped mine for plugs, forgot what size taps I ended up using.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ses-plugs.html

After seeing what 700whp pulls do to a new set of drag radials, I'd want the crappy tires on the car for dyno play. Whens the date? How much boost you plan on running?
They are showing signs of rot. Obviosuly they need to go for the street-but yes I only use true street tires for the dyno!

Thanks for the info, i figured ti was close the a pipe thread size. I will be pulling that manifold/turbo tonight to tap that water pump, providing I can find that tap in my mess of a tool box!

Last edited by coltboostin; 09-17-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW are you going to stick with the MAF? I heard SD is pretty easy to setup with the stock ecu. I run a holley so I have no hands on experience but ive seen a bunch of threads with it.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

MAF will be ditched. Yes SD is easy with stock ECU, especially if you lock in Closed Loop. Wont bother with all of that until fuel system is done, IC installed, and all bugs worked out ready for dyno time.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

ahhh, cool Following over on norotors as well!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I removed the pass side manifold to work on the coolant leak. Tapped the Water pump, and somehow lost my tube of Hondabond. Figured "high tack gaskets sealant would do the trick. NOPE! Freaking thing still leaked! Went and bought more gasket maker and gooped it on. All is well again!

Took her for another drive and notice after some spirited turns a small of oil. Pull over to see what looks to be a trans leak. WTF? Get under it to discover that I forgot to address my lack of speed sensor issue! Oye. Made a block off plate for now.

Had some time tonight to do some further tidying up-extended and consolidate some wires in the harness, adjusted the clutch, reinstalled as much interior bits as I could find (car came with a few boxes of random BS) and got the interior/exterior lights working. I may have a dead headlight motor, will have to deal with that later. Got the rear glass to open consistently-and a few other odds and ends on the list of things to do. The car actually seems mildly presentable at the moment-which makes me happy. I plan to drive the car to the office on Friday, and on a longish 30 mile trip afterwords. If all goes well-fuel, intercooling, and dyno time will be next on the list.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a goal; Drive it to the office 9/26. Goal achieved!!

The stuck caliper has seemed to unstick itself, and all coolant leaks are gone (for now). My "new" alternator took a dump on the way to a big meet in Mexico Saturday. Lucky one of the 300+people there had a spare off a 5.3 and lived close by. Swapped it in 20 minutes, and I was ready to go!

Clutch is not bad now that I am used to it. Its about time to commit to an intercooler and fuel, and turn this ol' girl up. Considering I am 10.5 to one, I am heavily considering e85, but that will inflate the cost of this super budget build. I am around $4100 as she sits today. Goal was to see 700+whp for $5k total investment, and then do what i need to do to go for the record. Its going to be close!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks good, glad to see it on the road. I wish i could have made the meet saturday

I am going to HIGHLY suggest E85.. Its so easy to get in our area and i know it kept my pig alive at the level i was at.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Dude...don't slip back into your DSM ghetto fixes...LOL

Get a speed sensor...get a new water pump as many have stated that the heater hoses should not be plugged.

Andrew
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
as many have stated that the heater hoses should not be plugged.

Andrew
Why should the heater hose lines not be plugged? Performance GM crate engines come from the factory with them plugged. Looping them is where you get into trouble. Plugging them is fine as according to everything I've read. Where are you getting your info?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
8 Second Club

Looping and plugging them is fine. Your not "suppose" to loop them but plenty people do it with no problem. I've had mine "looped" and plugged. This is probably the best thread on LS cooling systems I've read.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=621363

Quick Reply: LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)