Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much boost will silicone couplers and clamps hold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Havent seen anyone mention it, but if you stick to straight couplers you shouldnt have too many issues. Angle'd coupler's are where a lot of blowouts happen.
In theory yes...but a few variables. Ultimately, silicone shouldn't be popping off ANY tubing unless over pressurized,..IE 60-80+psi or lack or bead roll, lack or proper clamp...wrong clamp..etc...but silicone should hold up for everyone here on this site...given it's proper silicone and not some elastic feeling cheapy stuff.

Last edited by V-seriesTech; 07-30-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Like a complete high pressure clamp, with a steel end on both sides? Instead of aluminum? Yessir, no problem. Cones we have too, or transitions,..depending on what size to what size you want(mild steel, aluminum or stainless). For the most part, probably.
Well heres my dilemma. I have a 102mm tb (4") Its billet aluminum. Going into tHe cold side piping, which is stainless. I can have the stainless pipe welded to transition cone, but does the clamp get welded to the actual tb? I cant weld stainless or mild steel ( cone ) to the throttle body.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you just do one side aluminum, one side mild steel. Mild steel obviously will weld to the stainless. No problem. At all.

Here is mine on a stock TB. Didn't even heat it up enough to pull it apart to weld.

instead of aluminum/aluminum...aluminum/mild steel for you if you wanted to go that route.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you just do one side aluminum, one side mild steel. Mild steel obviously will weld to the stainless. No problem. At all.

Here is mine on a stock TB. Didn't even heat it up enough to pull it apart to weld.

instead of aluminum/aluminum...aluminum/mild steel for you if you wanted to go that route.
Your the man! Is it best to call or go online? Or can i go through you for this custom mild steel/aluminum clamp?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by a98ws6
Your the man! Is it best to call or go online? Or can i go through you for this custom mild steel/aluminum clamp?
best just to call bro. Jamie is my name, just remind me we talked here, or just tell me what you want. We try to do what we can for the bullet or tech fellas the best we can. Just gotta tell us.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUALITY T-BOLT clamp
Where do you get a good quality T-Bolt clamp these days that doesn't bend or shear apart when you apply some serious torque to it to seal up a stubbornly leaky silicone to tubing connection? All of them I see from Vibrant and whatnot look the same construction as the shoddy ones I get from eBay...

Also, does the hairspray help seal too, or is it really just for assisting with grip?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I get good t bolt clamps from the local peterbilt dealer. They usually have multiple different sized in stock and they are badass enough to be reused. I haved the same set for the last 6 years no problems and torque the hell out of them.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Launching!

an idea with a clamp mounted to the transition. Fits in ID of flange.

Here is flange setup on my car without clamps

upclose to intercooler setup. Simple transition.

Lemme know if better angles,..or different pics or measurements are needed.
Do these clamps need to work with a bead weld on the pipe to pipe? Or can they be smooth? Maybe thats a stupid question...
Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Good tip on the peterbilt dealer, I'll have to see what I have around here.

I got some name brand (made in Mexico) ones at carquest today, and they look like they might be marginally stronger than the eBay specials. Gonna try them out.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Where do you get a good quality T-Bolt clamp these days that doesn't bend or shear apart when you apply some serious torque to it to seal up a stubbornly leaky silicone to tubing connection? All of them I see from Vibrant and whatnot look the same construction as the shoddy ones I get from eBay...

Also, does the hairspray help seal too, or is it really just for assisting with grip?
Why on earth are you trying to apply "serious torque" to them ?

What sort of boost are you running ? 60, 70, 80, 90psi ?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Why on earth are you trying to apply "serious torque" to them ?

What sort of boost are you running ? 60, 70, 80, 90psi ?
Attempting to get them to seal in 20psi from the boost leak checker.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

If you cant get a boost pipe to seal with even a cheap worm drive clamp at that low pressure, something is seriously wrong.

And the last thing you need is t-bolt clamps, which make it all too easy for people to over tighten them and cause damage or leaks.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you cant get a boost pipe to seal with even a cheap worm drive clamp at that low pressure, something is seriously wrong.

And the last thing you need is t-bolt clamps, which make it all too easy for people to over tighten them and cause damage or leaks.
I think the fact that the worm drive clamps sealed in every spot I tried them where my garbage T-bolt clamps wouldn't seal kind of illustrates the actual problem.

Sounds to me like you have never dealt with some of the sorts of crap T-bolts I've been getting from eBay lately. That and maybe my description of the torque I want to put on them is probably a little bit of over-exaggeration..
Old 06-09-2018, 03:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tjabo
I think the fact that the worm drive clamps sealed in every spot I tried them where my garbage T-bolt clamps wouldn't seal kind of illustrates the actual problem.

Sounds to me like you have never dealt with some of the sorts of crap T-bolts I've been getting from eBay lately. That and maybe my description of the torque I want to put on them is probably a little bit of over-exaggeration..
I've no idea which clamps you are using so who knows, there are many designs, some good, some bad, some just rubbish.

But I've seen idiots actually crush stainless steel tubing from overtightening t-bolt clamps !! So the description may not be an exaggeration because I've seen people do it !! And to to what he did to stainless really must have taken some effort, and surprising the threads on the clamp didnt strip.

But on a good clean joint, with a decent bead of some sort whether formed or welded, a good worm drive style clamp will hold a lot of boost quite easily. Now once up to say 4" where forces will be larger, then a better quality or stronger clamp can be needed. But below that, especially at low boost there should be no difficulties
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 443 Likes on 336 Posts

my evo is all 3' piping with a mix of cheap worm and t bolt clamps and it holds 32psi no problem. ive seen a lot of problems when the ends of the pipes dont line up right and the clamps and couplers are at wacky angles

Quick Reply: How much boost will silicone couplers and clamps hold?