Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First LQ4 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LQ4 build

Hey guys first post here, I just picked up an entire lq4 for 500 bucks I want to rebuild it and put down about 650 hp to the wheels with a turbo on a decent boost level that I can turn up for more power later if I feel the need its gunna be a street engine on 93 ,I say engine cause I haven’t decided on a car I want to put it in right now it’s between a few like a z3 or rx7 gen 3 a older Camaro like 70s or mb 3rd gen or 350z lol the engine has aluminum 317 heads on it are they a good head for my goals. I have a budget of sorts I’m in no rush to put it together so I can hunt around for deals. I don’t want to maximize parts to their limits to get the goals but i also don’t need to break the bank to underutilize parts that can handle and make way more power then I’ll ever use on the streets I’m looking for a happy medium. Just to be clear because the other post I made there was some confusion by happy medium I mean the parts that will be used like I don't what to buy heads that would be better used in a 1200 hp application and be barely tapping their limit only pushing 600 or so but i don't want to have the cheapest heads and ect trying to push every horse power out of them

And I previously posted in the Gen 3 internals forum they said to try here for some better answers
And I am aware that whatever car I chose I will need the proper mods to the body ,fuel and ect to handle the power.

Thanks for any advice
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rookie24
Hey guys first post here, I just picked up an entire lq4 for 500 bucks I want to rebuild it and put down about 650 hp to the wheels with a turbo on a decent boost level that I can turn up for more power later if I feel the need its gunna be a street engine on 93 ,I say engine cause I haven’t decided on a car I want to put it in right now it’s between a few like a z3 or rx7 gen 3 a older Camaro like 70s or mb 3rd gen or 350z lol the engine has aluminum 317 heads on it are they a good head for my goals. I have a budget of sorts I’m in no rush to put it together so I can hunt around for deals. I don’t want to maximize parts to their limits to get the goals but i also don’t need to break the bank to underutilize parts that can handle and make way more power then I’ll ever use on the streets I’m looking for a happy medium. Just to be clear because the other post I made there was some confusion by happy medium I mean the parts that will be used like I don't what to buy heads that would be better used in a 1200 hp application and be barely tapping their limit only pushing 600 or so but i don't want to have the cheapest heads and ect trying to push every horse power out of them And I previously posted in the Gen 3 internals forum they said to try here for some better answers And I am aware that whatever car I chose I will need the proper mods to the body ,fuel and ect to handle the power. Thanks for any advice
650 should be easy. A stock bottom end is up to the task (assuming a Gen 3 from your post). You need a good tune (don't get stupid with timing). 317 heads will work just fine for the hp level you desire and leave room to grow. This is the age old combo- valve springs, decent cam, ls9 head gaskets & 80lb injectors. Buy a methanol injection kit. The turbo needs to work with the combo. A BW s475 or s480 will do what you are after, but they are physically large turbos. Get a waste gate at least 44mm in size (bigger if you can). BOV is up to you. The chassis will determine what you can fit. It's more difficult getting the turbo to fit and finding manifolds to work with the chassis than anything else. Get a nice torque converter if it's a 4l80e, good clutch if t56. Do not waste time on a 4l60e- just don't do it. A Th400 works as well. The aforementioned items will get you where you want to be without breaking the bank. If you find it necessary to spend money on high dollar heads, intakes, waste gates, or forged lower ends you certainly can. Make sure you do your research. Search this forum from top to bottom. You are going to find a lot of combos that reflect what I have mentioned. They work well.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

I should have said this before i would like to not run meth just one more thing to worry about if the pump craps or i forget to fill it ect.. Is my goal still doable with 317s and i do plan for forged rods and pistons ive read the crank should be fine but i could do a stoker to to make the goal easier is their any isssue with the heads lifting i read that was a issue some were ? The tran will be a t56 and the engine is a 03 lq4 out of a chevy express 3500
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should have said this before i would like to not run meth just one more thing to worry about if the pump craps or i forget to fill it ect.. Is my goal still doable with 317s and i do plan for forged rods and pistons ive read the crank should be fine but i could do a stoker to to make the goal easier is their any isssue with the heads lifting i read that was a issue some were ? The tran will be a t56 and the engine is a 03 lq4 out of a chevy express 3500
317's work fine. They are the same as 243's but the combustion chamber is bigger yielding a slightly lower compression.

I understand your reservations on methanol. Keep in mind a smart tuner doesn't tune FOR it, they use as an additional benefit. You can get a tune that is still safe if the tank runs out. The methanol is set up as a safety feature.

In regard to a forged bottom end, it's not really necessary at this power level. You can do it and be good to go for 1000 hp if you decide that's what you need later on.

My advice is make a budget. Make a wish list. Total the wish list up. Multiply that number x 2. If your budget still covers your wish list, pull the trigger. If not, go back and eliminate the stuff you really don't need. The LS platform is incredibly strong in a nearly stock form. Keep that on mind.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Ok so i will port and polish the heads keep the crank but do rods and pistions for security.
What about cams and intake i heard that the ls6 i believe and the z06 are good off the shelf cams for FI.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so i will port and polish the heads keep the crank but do rods and pistions for security. What about cams and intake i heard that the ls6 i believe and the z06 are good off the shelf cams for FI.
Ls6 intake is a great way to go. I would go with a cam spec'd to your setup. There are several vendors on here that will set you up with a cam that will make significantly more power than a z06 cam. The cam IS worth spending the extra $.

Quick Reply: First LQ4 build