Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Haltech or Holley or Megasquirt

Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Haltech or Holley or Megasquirt

I've got a c5 TTiX upgrade project going

converting over to iron block boring out a 4.8 to stock LS6 size, lunati crank and rods, probably wiseco or diamond pistons

I currently have a Haltech S2000 that I need help with installation

can any of you give me an idea of a fair cost for wiring and loading a base tune?

the vendor gave me a tune for a car that is setup like mine with the bosch 127 FIC injectors

the one big downside to the haltech is splicing into the factory wiring harness

I'm not real good at wiring and soldering and I believe I need a professional here to make sure everything is done right!

another advantage of the Holley is the tranny control

I have converted over to an RPM 4L65E Stage 5 which is holding up nicely so far

does the holley have a "plug and play" wiring harness option

I need to keep the OBD II Port live for the plug in emissions testing here in VA

also looking into the megasquirt option
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh

I need to keep the OBD II Port live for the plug in emissions testing here in VA

I think this requirement renders all aftermarket ECUs incompatible with what you want to do.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

^^Pretty sure Project is correct. My buddy here in NY had the PS2000 in his car and had to have an OEM ECU setup whenever it came time to complete the inspection. I am a wiring and tuning idiot so I cant add any more to that comment but I remember him switching out the PS for the OEM when the inspection was being done.

Here in the NE Bill Rudtner is a well established guru with Haltech, I would give him a shout and he is more than likely going to offer some info since he is a nice guy to deal with:

https://plus.google.com/109194196457...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
^^Pretty sure Project is correct. My buddy here in NY had the PS2000 in his car and had to have an OEM ECU setup whenever it came time to complete the inspection. I am a wiring and tuning idiot so I cant add any more to that comment but I remember him switching out the PS for the OEM when the inspection was being done.

Here in the NE Bill Rudtner is a well established guru with Haltech, I would give him a shout and he is more than likely going to offer some info since he is a nice guy to deal with:

https://plus.google.com/109194196457...ut?gl=us&hl=en
thanks for the tip, I talked to Bill and he is a stand up guy

very up front and honest about the work involved and the costs which were very reasonable
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think this requirement renders all aftermarket ECUs incompatible with what you want to do.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

because the haltech splices in and you are still running the factory ecm the obd II port is still active

there is some work to do in HP direct to reprogram I believe to keep the port operational, but both the vendor and another source I have talked to said this will work

it's a deal breaker to me to have to mess with switching back and forth, but I'll look into the more for sure!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

You can do the same piggyback install with any aftermarket ecu, leaving the OEM ecu in place. And if the OEM ecu drives things like dashboard, then it can make sense to leave it in place

The OEM ecu may register multiple faults though because various things are not plugged in. Some of the tuning software may be able to disable these.

From a simplicity point of view, if you already have the PS2000 wired and running, their new Elite ecu would be a plug in upgrade ( I assume they'll use same pinouts for the most part ). It offers OBDII compatibility so should keep any inspection happy.

Likewise Link's new G4+ etc range offer OBD data too.

Really there are many options and possibilities. If you need help with wiring, that will apply no matter what ecu you choose.

Whether you do a full standalone or piggyback...again that's entirely down to you.

Decide what features you need or want from an ecu and whether it can offer it. The physical installation is irrelevant as it's same work either way
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks stevie turbo,

very good advice

I think I have the game plan together, and I'll be staying with the haltech s2000 and going "all in" with it wiring it up

worse case scenario I can put the stock wiring back in it and injectors and call it a day

very interested in controlling another set of injectors for the alchy injection

I saw ECS do a "direct nozzle" setup with the ECS Alchy control for mr lee

but since the haltech can control 2 sets of injectors it makes sense.

much more complicated tuning, but much more precise than the way I had originally planned

on mr lee's car with the big cent blower, they saw lots of egt variation (as much as 300 deg) apparently the fuel is "blown back" and carried to the rear cyl and the front run lean (opposite than what I though would happen)

putting the nozzles in each port similar to a fogger nitrous concept evened it out to 100 deg difference between "best and worst" port

that was without any "tuning' of the nozzles to stagger the jetting.

this certainly is a "simple" approach and would avoid alot of hassle"

what do you all think?

direct port injection (with the ECS Achy control motor being controlled by the haltech)

or

another set of injectors with a dedicated fuel system for the alchy (or e85 or race fuel if desired)

not alot of folks have gone down this path due to complexity and cost but I like the idea of dual fuel very much!!

thanks for any advice build will start in the fall winter timeframe as funds allow
Old 08-14-2014, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I would say Alky nozzle placement and distribution would be very dependant on intake manifold used.

Clearly the factory intakes were never designed with wet flow in mind, so may have issues.

The likes of a carb intake, really doubt there'd be any issues

But yes a port setup would have advantages.

As for the whole dual fuel thing. I really dont see the need to massively complicate something that doesnt need to be complicated.
But, a full dedicated secondary fuel system whilst hugely expensive and not really needed, may have the benefit of allowing methanol, race fuel, E85...whatever. So it could be a good option.

But then if you have E85 available, just build a single fuel system and run a flex fuel sensor. Wayyy simpler.
But yes there are many routes you could take.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Haltech or Holley or Megasquirt