Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help! Twin Turbo TA heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Twin Turbo TA heating issues

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?
Im no newbie to the LS1 engine but I am a bit of one when it comes to boosted LS1's. I have a 2002 TA with the APS twin turbo system. Both the turbo's and the intercooler have been upgraded.
My question is this: what type of coolant temperatures are you guys seeing out of normal everyday driving with twins? I'm not sure how accurate my temp gauge is but I hover right at 210. Would meth help? Or would meth not even help under normal stop and go driving. The car is not my daily but i do take it out occasionally. I have several Aeroforce Interceptor gauges that should be here in a few days. Hopefully they will give me better temperature readings. Any and all suggestions on how to keep temps down would be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock temp gauge on mine would be in the middle (210) from 180ish till around 230 before it starts going any higher. They are not very accurate. I monitored with a scan tool on mine when testing to get exact reading. Do you have a stock radiator? I ran stock on my single s475 setup with pusher fans and it ran around 217 normal driving so I switched to a smaller but thicker aftermarket radiator and temps never seen over 190s after that even on a hot day. I had thermostat removed also. Meth is not gonna help over heating. You wouldn't be using it anyway unless you in the throttle.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Correct, the stock coolant temp gauges are typically quite far off from the actual reading. I would recommend hooking up to it with a scan tool, HPTuners, etc to monitor an actual reading and/or see how your gauge likes to read when the coolant temp is actually X for example.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah hp tuners, or even cheap live scan tools will read and give you the correct ECTs. Something similar to this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp9550/overview/

Also, what thermostat do you have in the car? I had a little bit of an issue when I had the APS twins on my car, because not only have you put a huge intercooler in front of the radiator to hinder airflow, but also, the turbos are water cooled, so that is another load on the stock cooling system that was not exactly designed for that. So inevitably the car will run hotter than usual.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
The stock temp gauge on mine would be in the middle (210) from 180ish till around 230 before it starts going any higher. They are not very accurate. I monitored with a scan tool on mine when testing to get exact reading. Do you have a stock radiator? I ran stock on my single s475 setup with pusher fans and it ran around 217 normal driving so I switched to a smaller but thicker aftermarket radiator and temps never seen over 190s after that even on a hot day. I had thermostat removed also. Meth is not gonna help over heating. You wouldn't be using it anyway unless you in the throttle.
I figured that the temp gauge wasnt very accurate. And yes it is the stock radiator. Also I thought that meth wouldnt be a big help. Its only throttle actuated. What type of radiator did you go with? Im kinda a noob with this whole boost thing. This is my third Trans Am but first experience with boost. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Superman09
Correct, the stock coolant temp gauges are typically quite far off from the actual reading. I would recommend hooking up to it with a scan tool, HPTuners, etc to monitor an actual reading and/or see how your gauge likes to read when the coolant temp is actually X for example.
The car came with a Diablo Predator tuner I just am not quite fully knowledgable on them so I havent messed with it. My Aeroforce gauges should be here Monday so I'm hoping they will help moniter my temps!!

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Yeah hp tuners, or even cheap live scan tools will read and give you the correct ECTs. Something similar to this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/anm-cp9550/overview/

Also, what thermostat do you have in the car? I had a little bit of an issue when I had the APS twins on my car, because not only have you put a huge intercooler in front of the radiator to hinder airflow, but also, the turbos are water cooled, so that is another load on the stock cooling system that was not exactly designed for that. So inevitably the car will run hotter than usual.
Another guy with APS history! Im glad you responded. I need to ask the previous owner some more in depth questions on the car. I haven't had it long and we have been maintaining close contact. He has upgraded both the turbo's and the intercooler, but beyond that I'm not sure. The car has an SLP 160 thermostat also. Were you able to do anything to keep the temps down or did you just leave it be? Hopefully that's not why you changed your setup haha
Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

I had thermostat removed also.
What does removing the thermostat do? Any negative side effects? The car is not a daily but I would like to just be able to take it out for a cruise every once in awhile. It wont be seeing too much of the strip or dyno.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a cheap champion radiator. It was like 3 inches shorter in height and about 3 inch more narrow but was thicker. Had my stock fans as pushers just switched the wires on the plugins. Running no thermostat just makes it hard for the engine ever to heat up. Some will argue that without a restricted area to hold the coolant in the radiator longer it will be less effective cooling but it wasn't in my case. The equal number of ppl say the more times you can pass coolant thru the heat exchanger the better meaning more opportunities to get heat out of it. So no thermostat would be better looking at it that way. I took mine out and even on 90 degree sitting in traffic never got to 200.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

I got a cheap champion radiator. It was like 3 inches shorter in height and about 3 inch more narrow but was thicker. Had my stock fans as pushers just switched the wires on the plugins. Running no thermostat just makes it hard for the engine ever to heat up. Some will argue that without a restricted area to hold the coolant in the radiator longer it will be less effective cooling but it wasn't in my case. The equal number of ppl say the more times you can pass coolant thru the heat exchanger the better meaning more opportunities to get heat out of it. So no thermostat would be better looking at it that way. I took mine out and even on 90 degree sitting in traffic never got to 200.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will have to look into removing the thermostat. Its got a SLP 160 thermo but I think this car is going to struggle staying cool plain and simple. I thought about removing my fogs and cutting out my front license plate hole but the APS intercoolers aren't very attractive. Idk. Ill see how it goes i guess
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM
vht
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I put a Champion rad in my chevelle, bought it with dual fans and shroud. No boost on it, but it has a 434 sb that's modded pretty good. Never gets over 180, even in 90+ weather. 160 thermostat, 4000 conv. Rad fit perfect, and was really cheap compared to any of the others.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an APS kit on my SS Camaro. I removed the whole piece that is molded to front bumper in front of my my intercooler. Even in 110* here, I have zero cooling issues now. I also have a 180 t-stat in the car.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
Another guy with APS history! Im glad you responded. I need to ask the previous owner some more in depth questions on the car. I haven't had it long and we have been maintaining close contact. He has upgraded both the turbo's and the intercooler, but beyond that I'm not sure. The car has an SLP 160 thermostat also. Were you able to do anything to keep the temps down or did you just leave it be? Hopefully that's not why you changed your setup haha
Nah I didn't sell it because of temps, mostly because I was on stock turbos, and I cranked it up to a whole 9psi @ about 605rwhp, and it blew the turbos. I was done with dumping money into the kit. I loved the fit and finish on the kit, but in the end, it wasn't going to support my power goals.

I agree with the last poster, if you take off your bumper, and or maybe cut a hole in your front bumper, you can get alot more airflow. The only time I ever had a temp problem was when I first installed the kit, and forgot to connect the steam crossover tube. After that, I never had a problem with temps.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah I didn't sell it because of temps, mostly because I was on stock turbos, and I cranked it up to a whole 9psi @ about 605rwhp, and it blew the turbos. I was done with dumping money into the kit. I loved the fit and finish on the kit, but in the end, it wasn't going to support my power goals.

I agree with the last poster, if you take off your bumper, and or maybe cut a hole in your front bumper, you can get alot more airflow. The only time I ever had a temp problem was when I first installed the kit, and forgot to connect the steam crossover tube. After that, I never had a problem with temps.
Me and you spoke a couple of years ago about the kit. I am in the small boat as you. I got the upgraded C5Z turbos and I do love the kit. However, in the end, it isn't going to support my power goals as well.

Last edited by SM105K; 08-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw a cheap 180 T stat on there and drill a 1/8" hole in it. We used to do this to the Race bikes (1/4") and it would keep them cool on 100 degree Race days. The last LS swap car I did for a friend had some cooling issues due to airflow restrictions. We did the same thing to the thermostat and it never got over 190. IMO this is better for street driving becuase it allows just the right amount of coolant to keep circulating and keep the engine cool. I'm not a believer in the thermostat "keeping coolant in the radiator longer to cool" the faster you can get it through the heat exchanger the better. For race/extended periods of time under heavy load I think no thermostat Is a good idea.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vht
I put a Champion rad in my chevelle, bought it with dual fans and shroud. No boost on it, but it has a 434 sb that's modded pretty good. Never gets over 180, even in 90+ weather. 160 thermostat, 4000 conv. Rad fit perfect, and was really cheap compared to any of the others.
Champion Radiators sound like the way to go.

Originally Posted by SM105K
I have an APS kit on my SS Camaro. I removed the whole piece that is molded to front bumper in front of my my intercooler. Even in 110* here, I have zero cooling issues now. I also have a 180 t-stat in the car.

I have the upgraded turbo's on mine but even then Ill probably eventually upgrade to LG turbo's. I've heard good things about them.
Does anyone have detailed, up-close picture of the cuts in the bumper? I have been thinking about going that route but am still unsure. I would obviously have to cut the metal sheet that the bottom of the bumper wraps around and attaches to? Then the air should have a straight shot in. I just wish that APS intercoolers weren't so dang ugly. Maybe I'll eventually get mine anodized silver if I go that route.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oscs
Throw a cheap 180 T stat on there and drill a 1/8" hole in it. We used to do this to the Race bikes (1/4") and it would keep them cool on 100 degree Race days. The last LS swap car I did for a friend had some cooling issues due to airflow restrictions. We did the same thing to the thermostat and it never got over 190. IMO this is better for street driving becuase it allows just the right amount of coolant to keep circulating and keep the engine cool. I'm not a believer in the thermostat "keeping coolant in the radiator longer to cool" the faster you can get it through the heat exchanger the better. For race/extended periods of time under heavy load I think no thermostat Is a good idea.
Ya I would think that the faster the coolant can move through the better. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help! Twin Turbo TA heating issues