Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any new quick spool valve data.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any new quick spool valve data.

Just curious if there has been any new testing done with the quick spool valves. I've seen some newer designs that use better materials(Inconel), and have been considering trying one on a divided T6 instead of twin S362's.
Looks like one side of a T6 flange flows about 70% of what both sides of a T4 flows, so as long as the flange opens by 5-7psi, the drive pressure shouldn't get too far out of hand.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

in for info..
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

very interested. I saw a feature on a ralley car where they were using a dedicated injector to "fuel" the turbo to help spooling off corners

I'm sure this would eat a catalytic converter alive with how rich the burn would be but it sure was interesting.

sorry I don't know anything about the spool valve.

I was reading a bit on the divided housing turbines and generally on a big v8 they weren't advised as they would restrict the exhaust flow just a bit

not a big difference, but this authors opine was that the divided housing turbines worked better in a 4 cyl due to scavenging advantages of keeping the cylinders separated

interesting stuff! boostamuv
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dezlfrek
in for info..
Kind of reminds me of the diesel days Adam. I remember when I'd ask p-pump conversion questions and the silence was deafening. :-)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh
very interested. I saw a feature on a ralley car where they were using a dedicated injector to "fuel" the turbo to help spooling off corners

I'm sure this would eat a catalytic converter alive with how rich the burn would be but it sure was interesting.
It's not quite as simple as that. All top flight WRC cars have used a similar system to Subarus Rocket Box for some time. This system bypass air from the compressor to a combustion chamber (a bit like the guys use that turn turbos into jet engines) and then back to the turbine. By controlling he amount of air bypassing the engine and the volume of fuel they inject they can basically have whatever turbo shaft speed they want regardless of engine rpm! You want full boost at idle rpm? No problems. You want to maintain boost during a shift no problems.

Also another advantage is this type of anti-lag is much kinder to the turbo the conventional bang bang style anti lag were you simply keep retarding timing to hold the engine at a set rpm.

As for the cat, rally cars have to run them but tend to mount the right at the end of the exhaust. They still get pretty hot and can often be seen glowing red hot. Also it worth noting just how hot the exhaust on these cars can get. One Ford Focus WRC car came I the pits with a damaged exhaust. The Ford mechanic grabbed the exhaust to pull it off and it was that hot it set his nomes glove on fire! Ford used to have their manifolds specially made with super clean welds to prevent blowing turbos. Inconnel is the material of choice for manifolds as it withstands the heat better than stainless. Rest of the exhaust is usually titanium to save weight and stainless steel on really bad stages as it's stronger. Pretty interesting stuff!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya Ron.. crickets.. I am guessing yb would be a better place to get some answers but I doubt most of these guys even know what it is..
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dezlfrek
ya Ron.. crickets.. I am guessing yb would be a better place to get some answers but I doubt most of these guys even know what it is..
Probably best if I just don't even try it Adam. There's progress being made on mine now. Should have the long block built before the end of the year. Then the dry sump and turbo plumbing will take another couple of months. Still hoping to be ready by June.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the testing I have seen it does help the low end and will mimick the gains that a true twinscroll set up will give you if you have merged your pipes before the turbo instead of keeping them divided for each bank. The supra guys have been using these for years with decent results.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

In for info…

The cost per gain ratio was always what irked me about them. Of course they work, but is it worth the ridiculous $560 price tag? Spooling down low doesn’t seem to be an issue for most with LS motors, if the turbo/converter are right anyway.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably just allows a little bigger turbo with the same spool characteristics as a slightly smaller one...same as twinscroll really.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sounds performance has a few good dyno comparisons of the gains on Supras with large TS housing turbos. It’s pretty impressive.

Quick Reply: Any new quick spool valve data.