Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin s366 Questions, Among Other Things

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin s366 Questions, Among Other Things

Hello people, I got a project car. It is a 1967 Chevy Caprice. Being a minnesota car, it needs some sheet metal work. I plan to get that all done over the first half of winter. I have plans for a cage, but dont think that will happen this winter, just too much to do.
As far as drive train...I plan on a 6.0 LS, TH400, and a 12 bolt with spool.
I am brand new to this LS business, so I will be asking a lot of questions and will need as many answers for dummies as possible.
I have heard all sorts of different things about what a stock, junkyard LS bottom end can handle. A friend of mine just did 741 with his 6.0, gt45 on e85 (track times to come in a few weeks) and his is completely stock accept for valve springs, head studs, and a custom ground cam. I have heard people say the stock rods would be good for 500, I have heard 1000...what to believe?
So that will take me to my next question...I would like to do twin BW s366, with a custom cam, valve springs, studs, and a blow through carb e85. Would that be to much for a stock ls?
Also curious about carb vs fuel injection. Is that way more complex, or not really?
As for intercooler, are people going air to water, or just air?
Waste gates and BOV? What seems to be the hot ticket?
I know that I will have a lot more questions, but this is a start at least!

Thanks in advance,

John

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay cxracing a2a intercooler has made over 1000rwhp. I had one on my car. It will get you a good ways for cheap. I'd stay 700ish rwhp and below on stock bottom. I took my ls1 to over 800 but I just got lucky. It was stock everything except cam stuff. And on pump gas/meth. E85 will be safer from detonation on the stock bottom but I'd still stay south of 700. Plenty run them high for a long time but it's whatever you willing to deal with if it let's go. I couldn't kill my ls1 for some reason lol. May you'll have a stock bottom like that too. Or every hopes they do anyway. Rods are the weak point.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Teching In

alright cool, whats a nice set of rods go for? I mean, I really dont mind blowing up a couple of 600 dollar motors, but sooner or later, would like to add reliability to the equation. I would like this to be a low 9 sec street car, not sure what power level would be necessary to attain that though.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superlate62
alright cool, whats a nice set of rods go for? I mean, I really dont mind blowing up a couple of 600 dollar motors, but sooner or later, would like to add reliability to the equation. I would like this to be a low 9 sec street car, not sure what power level would be necessary to attain that though.
You can get a callies rotating assembly minus the crank for around 1200ish. Your stock crank will be good to your goals with no worries. Depending on your weight, low 9s will take around 800-950 rwhp if your around the 3400-3700 pound range. It really depends on the setup though. Some cars roll good on low power but generally speaking its gonna take that from what ive seen. My car has a long way to go before completed so im just speaking from info I have gathered from others.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Teching In

awesome. you going fuel injected? think twin s366's would be able to get me to that 850-900 range? as far as weight, I would like to see 3200, but that might be a little bit ambitious for the size of this car and I still want most of the interior. Not sure about suspension yet, but plan on making a 12" slick fit.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two 366s is more than enough to get you to the 850-900 range.
those compressors should be enough to support close to 1500hp

With an air to air intercooler on E85 I have been 8.6s @ 155mph
Im in the process of building a new motor witch Im hoping to get into the 7s with the same turbos.

Last edited by samdogmx; 08-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Twin s366 Questions, Among Other Things