Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Got a bad engine from a reputable shop, what would you guys do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

A fresh built engine should be spotlessly clean. Inside and out.
Sorry about your issues.

Ron
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id be pissed as well. I purchased an engine from Scoggin Dickey when I had my TA set up for boost. The thing leaked coolant from day 1. I thought it was the head gaskets and changed them a couple times to no avail. I finally spotted a hairline crack in the block when I was changing head gaskets for the 3rd time. By that time, the engine had like maybe 3-4k miles on it. I called SDPC and they told me that they would not do anything about it because my engine had forced induction and their warranty does not cover FI engines. I told them they knew it was FI from the beginning- thats what it was built for. Unfortunately, the rep I dealt with originally who sold me the engine was not working there anymore, so they did not want to help me out at all. I got screwed and ended up building my own engine at that point. It was a pretty steep learning curve, but I knew at that point you really cant trust anyone. If you want something done right, you better do it yourself. No one is going to care more about your stuff than you.

Best of luck to ya. I hope you end up getting resolve of some sort.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

a class co. would make everything right
I prob would have taken it back at the first sign of a problem, but then they prob would take a short cut, same ring problem
humans make mistakes, its how they handle it makes the diff
Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir, I can deal with one piston having a wrong ring gap, but how can it be possible to get an engine with all the pistons ring gaps wrong? Where is quality control??
How much boost can an engine with .012 ring gap can hold??
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would email the shop manager/owner and tell them what happen and what you would like in return to make it right. Hopefully they will respond and you can get a resolution. You could call but then you can get into a he said issues, atleast with email you have a copy of what they say.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be listing the sponsor here if it were me along with the details of the resolution or non compliance by the company. This is how bad business practices are identified and made aware to other customers so that they do not have the misfortune of what you are going through now.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

wait, they made it right, and covered shipping and you are mad?

American Goods Returned (AGR) do not have to be declared, but you must be prepared to prove to U.S. Customs and Border Protection the articles are AGR or pay Customs duty.

Something sounds fishy. Why would you pay duty on the same item twice?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Banned

He had weed in it. Another question why buy an engine out side of MERICA? Plenty of good engine builders in MERICA
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by "MAC"
He had weed in it. Another question why buy an engine out side of MERICA? Plenty of good engine builders in MERICA
I think that he might be outside of america...

I think that the builder should've paid for shipping both ways and any other fees incurred that couldn't be avoided. If you paid something because of your ignorance then that's your fault, but otherwise I don't think that you should be out one red cent for poor quality control on the builder's part
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think he is in Canada. let's hear the name anyway, they should chime in here. It really sucks, but could have been a bad employee, either way, they should make it right for you. It's not your fault they let a product out the door that wasn't what you ordered. If it was my business it would completely suck, but I'd do right by the customer.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I had my motor built, I was fortunate to have my engine builder literally within walking distance of my house. He has a machine shop on his property, and while talking with him, we went over my plans, and power level, and I asked if he minded me watching, and learning, and doing the assembly with him. He didn't mind at all, and did the work at night with me there. I was able to confirm every measurement, tolerance, and spec, and actually tightened every bolt myself. He measured and set all the bearing tolerances, as well as my ring gaps. It was a great learning experience, but I also know that it was done right.

I'm sorry to hear you had troubles, please PM me the vendor as well, and I'll see if I can help, no promises.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

I live in Sonora Mexico, engine did not have weed in it, and I do have legal papers to go across the border everytime I need to, I am a cattleman-rancher-outfitter that was seeking the best voted company in the forums, I am no millionare, been saving for over a year to build this, and I respect everyone's opinion, nothing fishy here man, I told you exactly what I got from them, and exactly how it happened, if I wanted to be talking trash, I would write the name of the shop in the title..
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think people were just confused by the whole 'crossing the border' issue. None of us have to deal with paying taxes on bringing stuff back and forth, so it's an unknown concept to us.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forcd ind
a class co. would make everything right
I prob would have taken it back at the first sign of a problem, but then they prob would take a short cut, same ring problem
humans make mistakes, its how they handle it makes the diff
^^^^Winner^^^^
Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just going off a limb here I'd say your dealings were with Thompson Motorsports.. IMO I'd hardly call them the "best voted company," much less reputable being only a 5 year old company.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RCSBTURBO4WD
Hey guys, this is the story, After doing a lot of research in the forum, spending a lot of hours, I picked a Shop to build my "Boost 370", well, ordered and after I got it, i drove 6 hours to pick it up, came back home with my new engine, took my truck to the best local shop to get it installed and the guy told me how dirty the oil veins were and he was having a hard time putting the lifters in because of oil and rust buildup.. He asked me if I wanted him to get it cleaned and detailed and I agreed, he told me he had to take it appart because the rust that stayed in the engine.. Well after we pulled the first piston out, the RING GAP where around .012!!! I freaked out because it was supposed to be set at .024-.025 because I am looking fw to put around 15-18psi..
Called the builder and he asked me to send it back, it costed me another 6 hours of driving and getting it across the border again and pay the customs 16% of the engine value..
I asked for some refund from him and that was a no no..
After they checked it this is what they said:
I honestly do not know why the rings were so tight, I am guessing that they just looked at the build sheet wrong when it came time to put it together and thought it was an all motor build. They checked the main cap as well and it is OK, The color you see is from the line hone and is not a problem.
He did pay for shipping and handling, but it costed me $1,000 over of what I paid for the engine..
The shop is a sponsor of this site, dont want to trow out names, I want to hear your opinions first.. Whats fair and whats not..
And my point is, imagine if my home town mechanic didnt take the time and detail to inspect it and get it cleaned.. @ .012 ring gap it was to damn tight even for a naturally aspirated..

Any thoughts guys??
Thank you all!

If all of your statements are accurate, and the motor was that far off, I would demand a full refund on the engine. Unfortunately you will be out the time and money it took to pick up/drop off the motor. If the guy said "they must have looked at the build sheet wrong" I wouldnt trust that shop to build a lego set. My opinion only, people make mistakes. If they agree to work it out and refund your money, lesson learned and no harm/foul. If they choose to drag you along, then start making statements across the boards about your situation so others can be warned.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
Just going off a limb here I'd say your dealings were with Thompson Motorsports.. IMO I'd hardly call them the "best voted company," much less reputable being only a 5 year old company.
Not fair to throw someones name at a thread like this. I have dealt with Thompson's engines and they come in very clean and very well assembled. IF this is a thompson motor, they will make it right.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP name the shop, you wont be doing anything wrong by doing so. Youd get better opinions if people know who you are dealing with.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
Thompson is right down the road from me and it is way more than six hours away from the Sonora border lol
Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I got a PM from the sponsor who I got the engine from, they want to make things right, I respect that and I am very happy because my thread aparently will help me get out of this one.. The engine is installed in my truck now, it would kill me money-wize to tell my mechanic to pull it out to send it back.. Its supposed to be fixed..
What do you think its fair for me?? Just imagine it was you..
Thank you all!!

Quick Reply: Got a bad engine from a reputable shop, what would you guys do??