Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why do wastegates and BOVs cost so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutly. Ebay EMUSA wastegates (2) and tried an ebay BOV which failed and leaked like crazy. Found a used Tial 50mm for $100 and was happy with that.

I have had mixed results with my EMUSA gates. On the one hand they seem to work. The 15 psi springs were way off. More like 24 psi out of the box. Cleaned up some of the seals and it brought it down to about 19-21 psi depending on the gear. Removed a spring and I see 12 in 1st gear and 15 in 2nd and 3rd gear.

One thing I noticed when removing it to remove springs was that the face of the valve was quite rusted. For supposed 304 stainless, this should not be happening. All the rest of my piping was made out of 304 stainless and not even a hint of rust. Just the gate valve. This worries me a tad and I am considering changing them out when I re-do my piping over the winter. But, they are in fact functioning, just not nearly as precise as a name brand unit might.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Absolutly. Ebay EMUSA wastegates (2) and tried an ebay BOV which failed and leaked like crazy. Found a used Tial 50mm for $100 and was happy with that.

I have had mixed results with my EMUSA gates. On the one hand they seem to work. The 15 psi springs were way off. More like 24 psi out of the box. Cleaned up some of the seals and it brought it down to about 19-21 psi depending on the gear. Removed a spring and I see 12 in 1st gear and 15 in 2nd and 3rd gear.

One thing I noticed when removing it to remove springs was that the face of the valve was quite rusted. For supposed 304 stainless, this should not be happening. All the rest of my piping was made out of 304 stainless and not even a hint of rust. Just the gate valve. This worries me a tad and I am considering changing them out when I re-do my piping over the winter. But, they are in fact functioning, just not nearly as precise as a name brand unit might.
I have no experience with emusa so i cant comment.
but thats exactly what i meant. if I were to get a bad unit i can just get another and it still way cheaper than name brand.

what bov did you use. Hks copy as very high success rate.

and as far as spring. you must test them before install. this is actually also recommended with a name brand to make sure everything is good BEFORE install. highly recommended if buying used. takes a few minutes and youll know for sure what psi it will open

as far as rusting was your head lifting?
I dont understand how you could have accumulated that much water to rust out? with my ebay wastegate(not emusa) it had exhaust sooth and dry so even if it could rust it was too dry for it to rust

again the term "ebay" doesnt give much detail on which it is.

they even have a $300 ebay gt45 that proved reliable time and time again. talk about cheap power.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

looking at these posts, I realized i paid just as much for a wastegate and bov in my srt.... never though of complaining on how expensive they were tho.. Didn't really think they were expensive honestly, for what they do...
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Bov was a tial copy. I do not recall which brand. Spring was bench tested and came out to 18 psi but as you probably know or should, the bench and reality are often times quite different. As for the rust all cars will produce moisture out if the exhaust. Condensation will also accumulate. Ever seen cars with steam coming out of the tail pipe when cold out? E85 does seem to produce more water vapor in the exhaust than gas. But the byproducts of both gas and e85 are indeed co2 and water among other things. No lifted heads.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leashed
Going off tial 60mm. Last I looked they were $750 each.
Im not a fan of the oring/piston type gates. Ive only ran across 2 cars with them in the past and on both cars the piston was sticking. So I stick with the diapram type. Not saying the others dont work good. Just my personal preference.
Understandable.... One thing I have noticed about the JGS gates where the actuator housing vbands onto the body.... You have to be careful about how much you tighten down that Vband... If its overtightened it does have a tendency to put the piston in a bind. Backing off the clamp a little bit usually fixes that situation.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a pair of EMUSA's here and they seemed OK. But, one piston was tighter than the other and I didnt want to deal with boost control issues that I would never be able to track down. Sold them and went with a set of Tials which appear nicely built and definitely more compact. The EMUSA's may of worked just fine who knows.

I do run a Race Parts Solutions BOV that has worked really good and seems built very nice. For 90.00 it was a good deal
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

I do plan on switching, just that $500 has better places to go right now. Fir what they are the emusa seem to do ok. But buying parts twice sucks, haha.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Bov was a tial copy. I do not recall which brand. Spring was bench tested and came out to 18 psi but as you probably know or should, the bench and reality are often times quite different. As for the rust all cars will produce moisture out if the exhaust. Condensation will also accumulate. Ever seen cars with steam coming out of the tail pipe when cold out? E85 does seem to produce more water vapor in the exhaust than gas. But the byproducts of both gas and e85 are indeed co2 and water among other things. No lifted heads.
Oh ok, yeah bench test vary a bit but mine has always been close to what's tested.
But I like to use lower spring and increase boost with quality manual boost controller like Hallman.

I didn't realize you were on e85 when I was using that my exhaust was really clean and no black sooth lol
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

I still have some soot, but much less since getting off gas. I typically try to size my spring as close to what I want to run as possible to help spool and keep it from opening sooner. Even with a manual you can hear it start to open before it hits full boost. Using a stiffer spring and just raising it a few psi with the boost controller seems to help spool faster. Just my experiences.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 AM
Teching In

I've been checking out a lot of you guys builds and noticed almost none of you plum you wastegates back into your down pipes, especially you guys with the single turbo builds.... Why is that? the dual turbo, front mount builds, I understand that it's just extra piping and room is a premium as it is...
Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Is a water cooled wastegate a good idea???

Sounds like a recipe for rust and eventually a seized wastegate!!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Plumbing back in can disrupt flow in the downpipe. For a street car it would probably be fine. For all out best to dump them. As for the water cooled I have never used one, but I imagine for close quarters or a road race app where you are on the wastegate for long periods of time it might be good. Most are stainless so rust would not really be a concern.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Plumbing back in can disrupt flow in the downpipe. For a street car it would probably be fine. For all out best to dump them. As for the water cooled I have never used one, but I imagine for close quarters or a road race app where you are on the wastegate for long periods of time it might be good. Most are stainless so rust would not really be a concern.
Thanks for the info Sarg. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by olkarz
I've been checking out a lot of you guys builds and noticed almost none of you plum you wastegates back into your down pipes, especially you guys with the single turbo builds.... Why is that? the dual turbo, front mount builds, I understand that it's just extra piping and room is a premium as it is...
Simplicity usually.

It's easier to build the system with it venting to atmosphere. It's more awkward having to route it back to a certain location, even more so when space is limited.

Some will also prefer the sound ( and it sounds quite different inside the car than it does outside. Inside it can be bloody irritating )

But unless your exhaust system is restrictive there wont really be any performance benefit. On the other hand if the system maybe isnt as good as could be, venting to atmos will carry some of the exhaust load so the main system doesnt have to deal with it so there may be a benefit.

But if you want a quiet setup, return them back into the main exhaust
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Simplicity usually.

It's easier to build the system with it venting to atmosphere. It's more awkward having to route it back to a certain location, even more so when space is limited.

Some will also prefer the sound ( and it sounds quite different inside the car than it does outside. Inside it can be bloody irritating )

But unless your exhaust system is restrictive there wont really be any performance benefit. On the other hand if the system maybe isnt as good as could be, venting to atmos will carry some of the exhaust load so the main system doesnt have to deal with it so there may be a benefit.

But if you want a quiet setup, return them back into the main exhaust
Thanks for the additional insight stevieturbo! That Euro Granada to AWESOME!

I'm good with the room under the hood of my 57 Chevy 3100 truck. I'm running 3" from the Turbo back....

Quick Reply: Why do wastegates and BOVs cost so much?