Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil pan drain-back fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pan drain-back fitting?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an oil pan drain-back fitting. I currently have the engine out of the car, & since I've just gotten one of these oil pan baffles, I figure there's probably not going to be a better time to add that fitting. (I'm hoping to be able to add a turbocharger within the next couple of years.)

I think that I've narrowed it down to one of three -10AN Fragola fittings, each has a Viton o-ring to help seal the fitting. IIRC, at least two of the three are -10AN to 1/2" NPT, so in theory I should be able to tap the pan for the pipe thread, use a bit of thread sealant, & be good to go, right??

Last question - Am I correct in thinking that I can use a flare cap to cap off the fitting, or should I look for something else?? (I would of course use thread sealant on that as well...)

Appreciate any constructive feedback. It's probably worth noting that I won't be able to reply to this thread until the weekend, but I'm looking forward to the replies, since I'm waiting to place an order for other parts so that I can get the right parts. Thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AN fittings don't need any sealant.

I would suggest tapping the pan where you want it, and then getting the fitting welded in. This will make it easier to remove a drain line in the future.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
AN fittings don't need any sealant.

I would suggest tapping the pan where you want it, and then getting the fitting welded in. This will make it easier to remove a drain line in the future.
If you're going to use the pan for a return, I agree with STEEPSS; welding a fitting is the way to go. Personally, I like to use the timing chain cover for oil return setups.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also (as was recently suggested to me) i would go with a -12 for a drain. I'm going to be running a T6 S478 though
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im running a -12 drain line.

You can drill and tap the pan for NPT threads and run a NPT x AN adapter. I did that, then eventually removed the pan and welded a fitting in when i swapped k members.

On NPT threads, you do need to use sealant. The AN side of the fitting does not require sealant because it seals on a flare.

You can also use a bulkhead fitting designed for a fuel cell.

Neither leaked.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone care to show a pic of where you tapped the timing cover or oil pan? I'm about to do this and would like to get it right the first time..
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I put mine in before ever having the engine installed in the car. My drain hose interfered with the engine mount and frame stand and I was unable to implement the drain line exactly as I wanted.

So that's something that needs to be considered.

Ron
Old 10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I put mine in before ever having the engine installed in the car. My drain hose interfered with the engine mount and frame stand and I was unable to implement the drain line exactly as I wanted.

So that's something that needs to be considered.

Ron
So Ron, are you saying the timing cover is the better choice or to wait until the motor is back in the car?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Depends on where you mount the turbo.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Depends on where you mount the turbo.
Not any experience doing turbos before so I'm all open to suggestions. I'm planning on mounting it in front of the balancer though. Hadn't thought about battery relocation and what not..

Quick Reply: Oil pan drain-back fitting?