Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FI question

I am on the fence on witch direction I want to go with my 99ws6 m6 . I want to build a 408 FI motor but just can't decide on turbo or supercharged . Why is it that 98% is turbo builds ? Is it that they are trying to get it write . A blower set up is easy bolt on and tune and go . Turbo set up seem to be a big pain in the *** for a DD car . Is this about right . But in all reality I would like to have a APS with 5862s or 6262s on my car , but can't find the kit . What would u do . The car will be a DD and see the track some , and I am loking for 750 @the wheels
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my APS kit about 2 weeks ago to go with a big single. The APS kits are great as long as you dont have to work on them, or upgrade them.

A big turbo set up is easy to work on. Free power, no belt or pulley changing, adjust the boost by a push of a button or a turn of a ****. Tuning a turbo can be as easy as a blower car if you know what you are doing.

Kits have come along way. Hell a Huron kit can keep the AC, bolts right up, and has everything that you will need, and that is just one company. Fbody guys have it easy now, with a couple of clicks of a mouse, you can have a kit send directly to your house. It wasn't like this 10 - 15 years ago.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

For a daily driver, turbos is are quieter in and out of boost, make more midrange torque than a centrifugal supercharger, and you can adjust boost in seconds. No pulley swaps, no belt whine.

You can route the system to your liking, and if you do the hotside yourself, it's significantly cheaper. Turbos themselves are often cheaper, with 1000 HP capable turbos from companies like Borg Warner being as cheap as $650.

Most of it's all preference anyway. In a dedicated drag car either form of FI will perform great. If you want a bolt on kit that keeps AC, supercharger are usually best. If you can fabricate and piece together your own kit, turbos are often significantly cheaper.

Weigh your options before making the call
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I am trying to do . Lol I have 15k burning a hole in my pocket .lol I have the FI itch lol ��. I just see turbo guys on here all the time dining this and this and no supercharger guys complaining about this and that .
Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a supervisor in a machine shop that has a fabshop and foundry. I am really thinking about making some manifold patterns and trying to pore some cast iron manifolds . What do u all think .
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can why not?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
I am on the fence on witch direction I want to go with my 99ws6 m6 . I want to build a 408 FI motor but just can't decide on turbo or supercharged . Why is it that 98% is turbo builds ? Is it that they are trying to get it write . A blower set up is easy bolt on and tune and go . Turbo set up seem to be a big pain in the *** for a DD car . Is this about right . But in all reality I would like to have a APS with 5862s or 6262s on my car , but can't find the kit . What would u do . The car will be a DD and see the track some , and I am loking for 750 @the wheels

There is no simple answer that one is better than the other.

What sort of power delivery do you want ?
Would you want more than one level of power ?
Are you ok with the noise of the blower and belt maintenance ?

Ive had both on my car. I had a YSI, and it was great for several years. But...I finally got fed up with belt issues. Sometimes it'd run great for ages, others it'd eat belts or when ribbed/manual tensioner..it would slip at the top end.
I did eventually resolve this, but had decided to go turbo by then anyway.

The YSi did feel more exciting, the instant response and power felt great. The noise was irritating though, and it wasnt my daily driver.

Now with turbos the car is faster, I have easy access to a wide range of boost levels...and hence power levels. the car is much quieter...which I like.
And so far I've run it all year and no problems whatsoever ( apart from gearbox, but that's unrelated to boost )

So my personal preference at the minute is for turbos. But really there is very little to choose between.
IMO the turbos should be the fit and forget solution more so than the blower. But a well designed system of either should offer you reliability and power
Old 09-23-2014, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason I chose turbo/s over a supercharger was the ability to adjust how much power my car makes with the touch of a button. I like variation and control. A turbo charger offers both of these things.

On a side note I think more guys lean toward a turbo setup Becuase you get more bang for your buck (doing it yourself.) Buying a supercharger means you have to spend a lot of money all at one time where a turbo setup can be pieced together easily/commonly/cheaply. For "the masses" I think it comes down to funds. My .02

Last edited by oscs; 09-23-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no right or wrong answer on this one its all in personal preferance. Like some have said turbo kits have come along way and the new huron speed v2 kit is pretty bad *** and they make tons of power and you can adjust on the fly. I went procharger because that I like, the f1a is loud and in your face and just all around a ton of fun but I dont know if I would want to dd it. The install was pretty straight forward with the procharger and on a 408 you should easily hit your target with a d1 or f1a. I helped install a huron speed v1 non ac kit, the install on that wasnt bad either. So it really comes down to what you want.

Quick Reply: FI question