Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket issue

I have a ls2 that I had oringed and used copper head gaskets with arp headstuds. The engine only has maybe 4 hours worth of running and I pulled the engine because of a driveshaft failure and bust the Trans case and ls2 block (which is another story). Anyways I have 4 cylinders that have signs of combustion leaks and 3 are leaking water into the cylinders. The engine has only been in boost 3 times. Made 700 rwhp on 10lbs pump gas and we were planning to go up toward 20lbs on race gas, before the rear ujoint broke, which if I am already having a head gasket issue, what should I do?? Are the Ls9 gaskets reliable enough for 20lbs and if so, how long will they last at higher boost levels??
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Address the HG issue, especially if the motor is already out. Whats compression looking like?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggsw784
I have a ls2 that I had oringed and used copper head gaskets with arp headstuds. The engine only has maybe 4 hours worth of running and I pulled the engine because of a driveshaft failure and bust the Trans case and ls2 block (which is another story). Anyways I have 4 cylinders that have signs of combustion leaks and 3 are leaking water into the cylinders. The engine has only been in boost 3 times. Made 700 rwhp on 10lbs pump gas and we were planning to go up toward 20lbs on race gas, before the rear ujoint broke, which if I am already having a head gasket issue, what should I do?? Are the Ls9 gaskets reliable enough for 20lbs and if so, how long will they last at higher boost levels??

GM MLS gaskets and ARP studs will easily hold 20psi
Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

So the heads have receiver grooves and the block has rings to match that go into the heads? I don't know if you can run MLS gaskets with an oring block/head. I have a gen1 SBC and the heads have receiver grooves and the block is standard, felpro MLS gaskets and ARP bolts, 20psi no problem.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Depending on where the groove is and what gasket, you could get away with MLS and no ring in place.

I have seen guys use MLS and a metal o-ring on other engines, but I'm sure actual protrusion depth of the ring would be very critical, and nowhere near as much as it might be for a soft copper gasket.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turboventura
So the heads have receiver grooves and the block has rings to match that go into the heads? I don't know if you can run MLS gaskets with an oring block/head. I have a gen1 SBC and the heads have receiver grooves and the block is standard, felpro MLS gaskets and ARP bolts, 20psi no problem.
Yes the heads do have the receiver grooves but the new block doesn't yet. Curious if I should do it or not?? Is it ok to run the ls9 gasket if the receiver groove is in the head and no groove in the block??

Quick Reply: Head gasket issue