Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Camaro build thread. L33, GT45, Tick cam..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is done. Base tune is loaded. Their is about 3" of snow here so I can't push the car out alone to start it. Going to wait on a buddy to come by later and help me with it.

Im really hoping that this thing isn't as rich as it was the first time i started it. I didn't have an IAT sensor hooked up at the time, didn't notice that my temp sensor wasn't plugged into the drivers side head and it also had the H/C tune still loaded.. You all think these issues were the original problem with it blowing clouds of gas??
Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shoveled snow for 45 minutes so I could push car out of basement to start. Hooked up a buddies Snap On external FP gauge to rail. No changes from first start other than hooking up charge pipe with IAT sensor.

As soon as I turned key on, fuel pump just ran for like 1/2 second. As I would cycle the key, it sometimes would just barely kick on. I know it's been a while, but I remember normally with key on, it seemed like pump would prime for couple seconds? Car wouldn't start of course. For whatever reason, gauge was just showing 12-18lbs of pressure on the rail.

Where would you all start on diagnosing it? I know this car will be a blast once it's running but damn it's fighting me. Help me out here guys.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pump, Fuel pressure Regulator are you using? I'm tired and didn't want to re-read everything.

Did you do a bolt/nut/ground/connector check? I'm asking if anything is disconnected?

Battery charged?

To answer your other post, when I started my car for the first time after the 5.3 swap it was super rich because I didn't connect the IAT sensor. I'm pretty sure it defaults to super rich. It should be fine when you get all sensors connected.

Let me know if you get the fuel rail pressure issue figured out. I'm sure someone else will speak up with other suggestions.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnminer
What pump, Fuel pressure Regulator are you using? I'm tired and didn't want to re-read everything.

Did you do a bolt/nut/ground/connector check? I'm asking if anything is disconnected?

Battery charged?

To answer your other post, when I started my car for the first time after the 5.3 swap it was super rich because I didn't connect the IAT sensor. I'm pretty sure it defaults to super rich. It should be fine when you get all sensors connected.

Let me know if you get the fuel rail pressure issue figured out. I'm sure someone else will speak up with other suggestions.
Pumps are dual Walbro 255, one on Hobbs switch. Factory FPR. I started it a week or so ago and never disconnected anything, just added the few things I needed. It still didn't want to start when it did, had to give it a little gas which is odd. These cars should start on the hit of the key.

Battery is good, showing around 150 cranking rpm. I'll look over everything again. It's good to hear that about the IAT though.

I'm wondering if the gauge is hooked up correctly. I don't see how it couldn't be though, it's not leaking. The gauge is definitely not the problems I wouldn't think.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

One more problem I just remembered.

Belt keep jumping a rib on the balancer when rolling it over. I'm using the Huron speed alt relocation bracket. Anyone ever had problems with this? The tensioner was fine before. I swear it almost looks like the actual bracket that I bought used is a little crooked but surely not.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I heard that the Huron Speed relocation kits are junk. One guy said he used several and had to take a pry bar and pull them all outwards to get them to line up. No wonder they quit making them..

Pulled the fuel bucket and everything looks fine, I'm at a loss and the cars dead in the water until I get this figured out. Hopefully people are still watching this and can help.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure what tuner sw you're using. Is there a test mode that allow you to activate fuel pump relay or just jumper fp relay on. Walbro built in check valve not working? Also, check parameters in tuner sw for errant values eg. IAT will be -38F if unplugged and dump a lot of fuel as a result. HTH
Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
Not sure what tuner sw you're using. Is there a test mode that allow you to activate fuel pump relay or just jumper fp relay on. Walbro built in check valve not working? Also, check parameters in tuner sw for errant values eg. IAT will be -38F if unplugged and dump a lot of fuel as a result. HTH
Ya, I'm using HP tuners. In the scan tool, it does have a place to turn the pump on/off. It seems like I done it the other day and it didn't respond to anything. Would that mean the relay is bad?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither fuel pump comes on??? You can try activating the other pump by blowing air in the hobbs hear it click and see if it comes on for you.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Neither fuel pump comes on??? You can try activating the other pump by blowing air in the hobbs hear it click and see if it comes on for you.
I can wire the pumps to the battery an the main one comes on. Secondary doesn't cause it's hooked to Hobbs. When I hook it up to a 12v key on from the PCM it will click on for a half second and then shuts off. About half the time it doesn't do anything. I'm thinking relay under the hood.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, ya need to check that fp relay circuit. You could swap the relay and see if you can command the pump on. If no good, verify power to relay (usually on the 30 or 87 leg of relay). If good, jumper from relay pwr to the fp feed wire it should run. If running, confirm fp pressure at rail. If not running, check wiring to pump. Need to make sure all your fuel pump pwr wiring, connections, etc can handle 15A. Once you can manually run the pumps then time to check the relay command signal from the pcm.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, ya need to check that fp relay circuit. You could swap the relay and see if you can command the pump on. If no good, verify power to relay (usually on the 30 or 87 leg of relay). If good, jumper from relay pwr to the fp feed wire it should run. If running, confirm fp pressure at rail. If not running, check wiring to pump. Need to make sure all your fuel pump pwr wiring, connections, etc can handle 15A. Once you can manually run the pumps then time to check the relay command signal from the pcm.
Ok, I'll change that relay and pray it fixes it. I'm about illiterate when it comes to wiring and diagnosing the problems. Is there relays that can handle more power like fuses? For instance going from 15a to 20a?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Ok, I'll change that relay and pray it fixes it. I'm about illiterate when it comes to wiring and diagnosing the problems. Is there relays that can handle more power like fuses? For instance going from 15a to 20a?
Yes, relays have a current (A) spec. You want to use a relay that is rated at least 20% more than max current expected. Same with switches etc. If not, they'll burn up. Relays are basically a high current switch allowing you to use low current switch to activate high current flow. Think of the old Ford starter relay on inner fender well.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, relays have a current (A) spec. You want to use a relay that is rated at least 20% more than max current expected. Same with switches etc. If not, they'll burn up. Relays are basically a high current switch allowing you to use low current switch to activate high current flow. Think of the old Ford starter relay on inner fender well.
Do you think me wiring the pumps like I have will draw more power? Both pumps are run through relays now that were ordered through Summit. My father in law wires them for me but I used a write up on here that's worked many times and their was nothing said about using a higher relay.

On a side note, I believe the relay next to the fuel pump relay is one for the ac compressor. Does anyone know if they are identical? Possibly just swap them and see if it fixes the problem?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Do you think me wiring the pumps like I have will draw more power? Both pumps are run through relays now that were ordered through Summit. My father in law wires them for me but I used a write up on here that's worked many times and their was nothing said about using a higher relay.

On a side note, I believe the relay next to the fuel pump relay is one for the ac compressor. Does anyone know if they are identical? Possibly just swap them and see if it fixes the problem?
If using factory relay, you'll see part number on top and can swap with the same. Not sure what the current rating is on the factory 12068567 relays. I've seen a few GM FP relays with melted connectors in the fuse box due to current overload and overheat. Side note - Typical 5 pin square relay is 30A (you can get 40A versions too) If your father in law is knowledgeable in electrical it would be worthwhile have him go through the setup with you.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Swapped the relays out, it didn't fix it. Also, the gray wire from the PCM is showing no volts. I guess I'll just keep looking and follow your advice! Starting to get frustrated with it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I dont know what this means but I just pulled up the scanner on HP tuners and I can command the fuel pump on. It primes like it should. It is just when I turn the key on that the fuel pump will just flip on for a split second..
Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just came here to comment on the alt relocation brackets. Mine were screwy from Huron Speed but we modded them via cutting and re-welding to be perfect.

Sorry about your fuel pump issues!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Teching In

So you have a 98 PCM? It almost sounds like you bricked it when you flashed the base tune. I think fuel pump not priming is a symptom.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought if they were bricked that the fans run on high with key on.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro build thread. L33, GT45, Tick cam..