Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First Turbo Build

Old 10-03-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default First Turbo Build

I have been doing a little reading but it is hard sift through all of the stock bottom end and all out max build stuff. I built a forged 2 valve relief flat top LS1. After just a short run it was pulled for a vibration issue , and replaced with a new motor. The vibration issue actually ended up being a clutch assembly issue. Any how, that leaves me with a forged motor with out a home. I have been building cars and motors for a number of years and do some tuning as well but I have never dealt with any FI. I plan to get a fox body and use this short block along with a set of Lloyd Elliot P&P 317's, LS6 intake and cam to do my first turbo build. Aside from getting a general idea that I will need a 76mm turbo, I have no idea what else I will need. (Waste gate size & type, BOV size & type, etc.) I can fab a lot of stuff and have a Tig welder for stainless. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Was my story too long
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using a 50mm WASTEGATE by precision and a 60mm JGS BOV. I have a s475 turbo and they work great.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can either do twin 38mm gates or a single 60mm. It's a little harder to bias a single 60mm gate depending on how you are laying out your system. With proper placement should give you control down to 5-6 psi. Don't cheap out on a wastegate. JGS, TiAL, Turbosmart are some good brands. Ideal placement is on the outside radius of a turn.

50mm BOV should be fine. Same brands apply although BOV's are really simple.

Keep your hotside (preturbo) smallish. 2-2 1/4in is all you need.

Do not brace the compressor cover under any circumstances.

Use the biggest downpipe that you can. For as far as you can. Meaning that you may not be able to fit a 4" pipe all the way out of the engine compartment but maybe you can fit it for a foot or 2 before having to step down. The more freely exhaust flows, the faster the turbo spools. Chambered mufflers and cats are a big no no.

The bigger the A2A intercooler you can fit, generally speaking, the better.

Puller fans work way better than pushers, keep that in mind while laying out your setup.

Turbos heat the **** out of your oil. Highly recommend an oil cooler and if you are brave, an oil temp gauge. < Not for the faint of heart.

Wideband O2 sensor is a must.

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

That was extremely informative and easy to understand. Thanks a ton.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have been watching videos of turbo LSX foxes and noticed there is a hell of difference in volume from one car to the next. I really like the quiet cars that haul. Does anyone know the difference?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
I have been watching videos of turbo LSX foxes and noticed there is a hell of difference in volume from one car to the next. I really like the quiet cars that haul. Does anyone know the difference?
I can only assume they have some sort of muffler on them then. If you want a quiet car, then make it quiet. When I had the 7875 turbo on my car, I had 3" exhaust all the way back to a custom 2OTL (Two on the left) exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. It trapped 136 mph on 10 psi through the exhaust. Flip of a switch and it got loud via the cutout. I loved that setup and kick myself every day for switching setups to the S480 out the bumper. Doesn't matter now though as the car was sold.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

In my experience, cutouts are king. Nice quiet ride when you want it, roaring power when you need it.

I'll never again be that guy pissing off the pretty neighbor girls leaving for work at 6 AM in a car that deafens a decibel meter. I'll leave that job to the annoying ******** that think their stereo needs to rattle their Windows at 6 am

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Turbo Build