Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2002 Camaro SS AC Retaining Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks Sprayed01, that's kinda what I thought too. What about the wastegate exit? Do you think I need a little piece of pipe for the exit or will it be fine as is? Thanks bud!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to run a pipe for the waste gate exhaust. Just be mindful of what the exhaust is blowing on to. I added a little pipe on mine and had it angled towards the oil pan, man did the oil pan get black fast. I ended up changing it to go straight to the ground. Just make sure you don't have wires and hoses in the way of the exhaust flow.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I said to hell with it and found some 3/8 plate and got a 1 1/2" turn down from Baxters for $7.50 and am gonna fab one up this weekend. It'll look cleaner and then I won't have to wonder what it's cooking lol. I've got an untuned idle clip but can't figure out how to post it lol.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, so I bit the bullet and fabbed this guy real quick and I'm glad I did cause I now I know the exhaust gas will be out of the engine bay and not frying any chassis parts. Quick and dirty, just a piece of 3/8 flat stock, drilled a few holes, got a 1 1/2" turn down from Baxters for $7 and trimmed it down on each end and wahlah lol.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Hola guys, so I have an idle vid with the Pat G base tune but how do I paste it into a message because I can't seem to figure out how lol. Will this work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLFA...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great. What are the cam specs?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

It was a cam my buddy had and I'm not sure if its the best cam for the combination but the specs are:
230/230 @.050 Dur. .609/.609 Lift 115+2 LSA installed straight up.
Right cam?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, so I got to test drive the car around the block a little bit and holy ****! I wasn't seeing any boost in first gear so I thought something was wrong initially. So I rolled into first gear and grabbed second gear and hit 6 lbs almost immediately, picked the front end up, broke the tires loose and completely caught me off guard. I can't wait to get it finish tuned and get on stretch of road where I can really keep my foot in it because it's definitely gonna be a beast! My next thought was lets go home and put the 10 lb spring in it!! I'll get a driving video posted up soon and then this thread will be complete.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Hello friends, well good news. I got the alignment completed and got the exhaust hooked up. Although it's way quieter now which kinda sucks, time for a cut out lol! I'm also currently tuning the car with Pat G and that is going well so this weekend I'll see if I can't get some post exhaust idle and driving vids. So far so good as well, still no leaks, hasn't over heated, no melted wires and isn't blowing any smoke so I think I'm in good shape. The boost comes on quick and I can't wait to really lean on it when the tune is finalized. Stay tuned kids!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Hello friends, well good news. I got the alignment completed and got the exhaust hooked up. Although it's way quieter now which kinda sucks, time for a cut out lol! I'm also currently tuning the car with Pat G and that is going well so this weekend I'll see if I can't get some post exhaust idle and driving vids. So far so good as well, still no leaks, hasn't over heated, no melted wires and isn't blowing any smoke so I think I'm in good shape. The boost comes on quick and I can't wait to really lean on it when the tune is finalized. Stay tuned kids!
What did you go with for exhaust? I have two MagnaFlow bullets in the back that I am about to hook my exhaust to. I don't want it to be too quite, but I'm afraid it might
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97_ek
What did you go with for exhaust? I have two MagnaFlow bullets in the back that I am about to hook my exhaust to. I don't want it to be too quite, but I'm afraid it might
Hola 97, I have the biggest Magnaflow 3" single in/single out muffler I could fit in the stock location because when it was N/A I had a LM2 and it was so loud my 4 year old son refused to ride in it. Now it's painfully quite and I can't hear the turbo spool and it seems to spool a little slower too. = ( I'm going to leave it for a nice cruising sound with my son but add a cut out where it makes the bend to go around the trans for when I'm flying solo lol. I'd run the bullets at the tailpipes and if it's too quite just go straight pipe. I loved how mine sounded straight pipe and would have left it but I enjoy riding with my son more. Let me get you an idle and rev video if you have time before you decide.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hola 97, I have the biggest Magnaflow 3" single in/single out muffler I could fit in the stock location because when it was N/A I had a LM2 and it was so loud my 4 year old son refused to ride in it. Now it's painfully quite and I can't hear the turbo spool and it seems to spool a little slower too. = ( I'm going to leave it for a nice cruising sound with my son but add a cut out where it makes the bend to go around the trans for when I'm flying solo lol. I'd run the bullets at the tailpipes and if it's too quite just go straight pipe. I loved how mine sounded straight pipe and would have left it but I enjoy riding with my son more. Let me get you an idle and rev video if you have time before you decide.
Awesome thanks man. I think I'll try it first with the two bullets, and if it's too quiet I'll just cut them out.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Anytime brother! Do you want an idle vid still or are you just gonna go for it lol?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anytime brother! Do you want an idle vid still or are you just gonna go for it lol?
It'll probably be next week before I can do anything with it, so if you have time this weekend, and feel like uploading one, it can't hurt. If you're busy though, don't worry about it. I don't think the bullets will quieten it down too terribly much
Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97_ek
It'll probably be next week before I can do anything with it, so if you have time this weekend, and feel like uploading one, it can't hurt. If you're busy though, don't worry about it. I don't think the bullets will quieten it down too terribly much
Hola 97-ek, here's that idle vid. Better turn your speakers up cause its pretty quiet lol. It gets much louder when I stand on it at least. Here's the link.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the idle vid man. I ended up going ahead and hooking up a straight 3" back to my two bullets. It has a good deep tone to it, and it is pretty quiet too. Even though I might like it a TAD louder, I think it is good where it is. I just have to figure out where it's knocking underneath now fr ok m the exhaust install
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I gotta add a hanger to the pipe the exhaust shop just installed, not sure why they didn't do it. I was underneath it and the exhaust is hanging by the rear muffler mount and that's all that supports it and it flexes a lot. I'm afraid it's putting to much weight on the hot-side or down pipe and something is gonna crack. Other than that I'm really happy with it. I did another data log this last weekend and really opened it up in 2nd and 3rd and god damn that bitch takes off lol. 2nd gear is struggling for traction even with 315 Nitto NT05's and then 3rd brought the front end up higher and really started pulling. Then I realized I'm still in a residential area with expired tabs and no insurance so I went home and parked it lol.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Pm'd you ******
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome build!! Cant wait to collect the parts I need to be able to finish mine. Any more updates?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99T/AMAN
Awesome build!! Cant wait to collect the parts I need to be able to finish mine. Any more updates?
Just waiting for Pat G. to send my tune back and then keep going back and forth till I'm happy which won't take long. The car is an animal on 6lbs. I'm hoping to insure it and get some tabs next month and maybe get to the track or dyno for some hard numbers. I had a Big Block LS6 454 in a 70 Camaro that made probably 550 at the crank and this guy pulls waaay harder when it comes on for sure. I'll see about getting some in car pull vids too! As far as issues go I haven't had any which is great. All the parts you need are on this website too, I just kept at it being on the site daily usually in the mornings and at night and scooped up good deals as they came along, at least I think they were good deals lol. It took about a year of collecting to get it all together so be patient and it'll come together!

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS AC Retaining Turbo Build