Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Retarded timing when trying to build boost, hptuners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Retarded timing when trying to build boost, hptuners...

I have been tuning my truck for a little bit now. First time tuning anything and I am running into a problem. Previously my tune was done by a local shop and there were some start up issues that I could not solve working with their tune. Therefore I started from a stock tune and have gotten to where I am not. Everything is looking good from what I can tell over the last year except for my timing when trying to build boost. I had never done any real drag racing since I started tuning myself so I didnt have the time to fix it previously.

Here is the problem... When I attempt to build boost my pcm is retarding the timing over 20* until it is retarded, around -3 to -6*. I never had this problem when I was working with the old tune. I am hoping that someone will look over my tine and quick log I took to see why it is doing this. I have messed with both timing tables, the iat timing tables and ect timing tables. I have disabled the knock sensors and Im seeing zero knock on the scanner.

If you have time please look at my tune and short log showing the issue. Thank you in advanced. Racing in two weekends and hoping to have this fixed before then.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Sy4l80e3barE85knock changs.hpt (463.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: hpl
101514 brake boost.hpl (6.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Retarded timing when trying to build boost, hptuners...-gizngxj.png

try topping that chart out, instead of bottoming it out.

also if you keep having trouble i can post up a 6.0 cammed S480 billet tune up for you to pick and choose off of, just keep your fuel table, since its E85
Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Ill try it when I get off in the morning. Im on e85 as well.

Originally Posted by denmah

try topping that chart out, instead of bottoming it out.

also if you keep having trouble i can post up a 6.0 cammed S480 billet tune up for you to pick and choose off of, just keep your fuel table, since its E85
Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Launching!

What I see,

Engine > General > Cylinder Vol. - you have .70821 which is LS1, if you are 6.0 lq 6.0 then its .74625 or .75.

Dont know if this will work but worth a shot, Engine > Spark > Advance > max speed and Max hyst. change them to 0 mph.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

You have abuse mode enabled. I'm pretty sure that will yank timing when you have the brakes on.

You also have EGR enabled as well as all the traction control stuff on. You didn't say what year truck, ecm used etc.

You should so a compare from the tune they had and see what all is different. Since it didn't do it before.

I wouldn't change the cyl displacement at this point. It will change your VE table. Try it and see what it does.....I ran into that with mine.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Retarded timing when trying to build boost, hptuners...-capture.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

More than a few things, try this.... and you will have to fix your VE table by quite a bit all over because of the fueling transient adjustment.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Sy4l80e3barE85knock_nicd.hpt (463.3 KB, 213 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Did it fix it?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

First everything I say im helping not picking on your stuff.

Your timing map needs work, On the footbrake building boost your in the single digits of timing. I would add 5 like down in the high airmass lower rpms and midrange on the brake and start there. Ill post a example. Also that idle area is a mess.

Im sure your not using a EGR so 0 out the EGR spark advance table.

Disable your drive line abuse by rising the rpm to the 8000 or something. This may be your timing table that's killing you.

Torque management also needs turned off, set all your maximum torque limits to the moon.

Your ve table is terrible. It has to look like a smooth hill or your never have it dialed in.

Sorry btw I took awhile to get back with you, I had newborn baby issues.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NicD
Did it fix it?
Yes sir! Uploaded it that day and timing was right where it should be. Ive been waiting till I had time to compare what you changed so I can learn something. Im gonna shoot you a PM as well night. Thank you

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE

Sorry btw I took awhile to get back with you, I had newborn baby issues.

Like I said via email, thank you for the help. No hard feeling on anything as this is a big learning curve for me. I have been looking at what you posted and have not been able to play with my tune to see if I can learn for what you said as well.

I have the race this Saturday and will be hopefully straightening most of the tune out Friday when I get off work in the morning.

Quick Reply: Retarded timing when trying to build boost, hptuners...