Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3.890 5.3 tt

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Precision make good units, although still not convinced you'll get the spool you want even at that size.

I also dont see how you'll make your power goals at 6-6500rpm with such low boost and small turbos, which you'd need to get the spool you say you need

AGP offer w wide range of S200 based units at good prices. I dont see why some might not work for you.

http://www.agpturbo.com/s2-s200-series/

If spool and power is what you need, apparently the best units out there are the BW EFR series.

One of their smaller units might achieve what you need spool vs power....but again, I cant see them making 800hp at only 15psi.

http://www.agpturbo.com/efr-series/
Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=stevieturbo;18486603]Precision make good units, although still not convinced you'll get the spool you want even at that size.

I also dont see how you'll make your power goals at 6-6500rpm with such low boost and small turbos, which you'd need to get the spool you say you need this is were you guys and your knowledge is coming in handy, first it's just a dreamt up idea, that now I need to make work somehow, I like the ls stuff, I don't want to do another Lexus, this will be new but if done right competitive also, if it can safely run more boost I'm all for it

I do worry about boost because I don't know just yet the same as I worry about a high compression engine.

In this racing these nissan toyota twin turbos outlast the bbc, I still don't understand what makes a turbo easier on an engine than high compression big cube,
Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

this is were you guys and your knowledge is coming in handy, first it's just a dreamt up idea, that now I need to make work somehow, I like the ls stuff, I don't want to do another Lexus, this will be new but if done right competitive also, if it can safely run more boost I'm all for it

I do worry about boost because I don't know just yet the same as I worry about a high compression engine.

In this racing these nissan toyota twin turbos outlast the bbc, I still don't understand what makes a turbo easier on an engine than high compression big cube,[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 AM
9 Second Club

Boost is not a killer. Tuning engines to a ragged edge of cylinder pressure can be a killer.

Boost in many ways is quite friendly to an engine in terms of making power and torque. You dont need to use crazy cams, you dont need to rev the nuts out of anything.

IMO get good charge cooling, keep the CR to a safe level where you'll never be pushing detonation limits, and run whatever boost you need with the smaller turbos to make your power goals. That way you'll have spool and power reliably.

That said, I'd expect a BBC or large capacity making 800hp to be relatively unstressed ? Unless they need to spin pretty hard to make it happen ?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

The s256 is the common s200. (The only reasonably priced one IMO)They aren't extended tip and only flow 35lb/hr maxed out. I'd want a little more flow at lower boost and less back pressure personally. Also wouldnt want to spend 1600 + on an s200. Cheaper to go with s362. Stay with the bigger eng. Smaller ones don't make squat for power down low. I think with a healthy cam and 1:1 pressure ratios the engine will make enough power to get up on a plane.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
The s256 is the common s200. (The only reasonably priced one IMO)They aren't extended tip and only flow 35lb/hr maxed out. I'd want a little more flow at lower boost and less back pressure personally. Also wouldnt want to spend 1600 + on an s200. Cheaper to go with s362. Stay with the bigger eng. Smaller ones don't make squat for power down low. I think with a healthy cam and 1:1 pressure ratios the engine will make enough power to get up on a plane.
He cannot use a bigger engine, he seems to be forced into an engine size class.

AGP are rating their S256RS at 55lbs, that's easily enough for his power goals with a pair of them

http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-...-turbocharger/

Even their tiny S251 they rate at 47lbs, although that's maybe pushing it a little

No single S200's are $1600 ?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
He cannot use a bigger engine, he seems to be forced into an engine size class.

AGP are rating their S256RS at 55lbs, that's easily enough for his power goals with a pair of them

Even their tiny S251 they rate at 47lbs, although that's maybe pushing it a little

No single S200's are $1600 ?
When I say bigger engine I mean the Ls series. He was talking about using an sr20 . See post#40.

Depends what turbo your looking at. I'm not making this stuff up. The non extended tip S200's that are reasonably priced in my book only flow 30-35lb. I wouldn't spend 750$ on an s200 when I could buy s300 for less was my point

Some of The billet s200s do get up to 1600 for a single unit.
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=23964
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM
9 Second Club

260ci with twins isnt too far off a pair of SR20's so his thinking is reasonable

And that price is just insane for a BW journal turbo, but then some of Bullseye's pricing does seem crazy.

Even a basic S261 is nowhere near that price. Pretty sure AGP are now doing some of the smaller units with billet wheels too.

I even bought a pair of genuine 364FMW's for less than that Bullseye price each unit

But I'd still think any of the 300's would be too lethargic to make any decent boost at 3k for such a small motor with twins.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
260ci with twins isnt too far off a pair of SR20's so his thinking is reasonable

And that price is just insane for a BW journal turbo, but then some of Bullseye's pricing does seem crazy.

Even a basic S261 is nowhere near that price. Pretty sure AGP are now doing some of the smaller units with billet wheels too.

I even bought a pair of genuine 364FMW's for less than that Bullseye price each unit

But I'd still think any of the 300's would be too lethargic to make any decent boost at 3k for such a small motor with twins.
I guess it's more important too have the power there at 6-6500, and spool up later if it had too be that way,
Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Heres a question for you guys.
How much can the ls3/ls9 block be decked, would it go to 9.200?

I want to keep the ch of the piston to 1.3x, so would need thin gasket drop piston down the bore, or deck the block, maybe have to do both

Quick Reply: 3.890 5.3 tt