Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom Turbo Build help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom Turbo Build help please

What setup would you guys build for now and will support more power later when compression is lowered. I have arp head studs, forged bottom, lq9 408 with TEA TFS235. Figure A cam swap would be needed but compression is at 11.1:1 and heads are 70cc. Would like to run as much boost as possible till I can change the lower end to help with more. Car is 3400lbs and would like to get close to mid to low 8s if possible and a turbo system capable of low 7 eventually. Not sure if a large single or twins and either way what turbos should I look at to pull it off and what am I realistly looking at till I can drop the compression. Entire motor has arp studs or bolts, just didn't go for 1/2" head studs yet, once I pull heads to drill them out ill swap Pistons to lower compression. Trying to figure this all out. Any help greatly appreciated and what shops are good with custom setups? Don't want to use truck manifolds but tubular v-band header type manifolds so it looks good. Is $10,000 enough for a rough amount for the turbo setup, not mentioning fuel system upgrade or cam swap. Was going to spray it but amount it was built for would add up very fast. Trying to find out what I can do now and start saving for next winter down time. Also what shops preferably in Midwest area do a great job like this. Running e85 but thinking of going to e98 also. Going to put an 8.50 cert cage in during March and use that till I need to upgrade other things first. Just trying to figure out what I can do and expect at current compression and what it can be capable of once lowered and go to stronger/ 1/2" head studs and o-ring heads.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Default s480?

If you would like to keep it under 10k and run them times maybe a worked s480 from bullseye would work. Personaly I like the idea of a front mount single.. I have a s475 t4 and I just switched to dual spal pusher fans to make room. Keeps it plenty cool even in traffic. Don't be afraid of a big single. I'm in full boost by 3500 and the spool is not as slow as people will say it is...
Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
If you would like to keep it under 10k and run them times maybe a worked s480 from bullseye would work. Personaly I like the idea of a front mount single.. I have a s475 t4 and I just switched to dual spal pusher fans to make room. Keeps it plenty cool even in traffic. Don't be afraid of a big single. I'm in full boost by 3500 and the spool is not as slow as people will say it is...
what kind of motor u got?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I bet a billet 84mm from forced inductions would do you good. There are people who have ran low 8s with one of these on regular pump gas. It doesn't take a lot of turbo on the right setup to run fast. I can think of at least one car making close to 1200 WHP on a single billet 76mm turbo running high 7s.

Do you plan to fabricate the turbo hotside yourself? That'll save you a couple thousand dollars.

I would personally run E85. Cheap, can be bought at the pump, and you won't have to lower your compression if used with water injection.

The best thing to do is not overthink this. There is a mustang with a stock 5.3 (stock bottom end, stock 799 heads with a port job) and stock sized chinese head studs running 4.8x in the 8th mile, which puts it around 1300+ whp. Its just an example of a very well planned setup. Slapping random parts together isn't going to help you.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would build a T6 or twin T4 kit and run a set of 67s or a an S484, if you are okay with pulling weight, or switching turbos out later to run 7s of course. If you want the whole turbo system to remain the same, I would do twin 71s or an 88mm. Pulling weight to get down to 3-3100 and kepping a non 6-bolt engine, the 67s or S484 should work.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Op:
Of course I'm not trying to hit your times but I run the bullseye s475 billet wheel, motor
just running stock ls2 for now. . Comp cam/ls7 lifters, ls9 gaskets with copper spray, arp studs, lsx 102 intake/rails, custom manifolds,e85 put down 726 on the dyno at 8 psi

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo Build help please