Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Exhaust for Blown Street Cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Exhaust for Blown Street Cars ?

To clarify I mean supercharged cars

Want to keep it a street car, so no dumps. I like my Magnaflow catback, sounds good, and quiet enough for cruising. But will most likely be a restriction near 800rwhp.

What are guys running ?

Sounds like the Kooks TD's are a bit loud.
Cutouts seem to be the way to go, but single cutout, dual cutouts ?

Results, photos ?

Last edited by No Juice; 10-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Want to keep it a street car, so no dumps. I like my Magnaflow catback, sounds good, and quiet enough for cruising. But will most likely be a restriction near 800rwhp. What are guys running ? Sounds like the Kooks TD's are a bit loud. Cutouts seem to be the way to go, but single cutout, dual cutouts ? Results, photos ?
Blown as in Turbo or super charger?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running a single 3.5" magnaflow bullet and a3.5" cutout right off the speed engineering oryp that I cut the reducer off of. Its 3.5" where the two pipes merge together so thats as small as it gets until after the cutout back into the magnaflow cb I have. No rasp at all and sounds beastly when open but quiet when closed. DK hp diff at 800rwhp but at 375 it was about 7hp/tq on back to back pulls so I would assume it will be alot more on your setup.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

magnaflow bullet off of ypipe
Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Old 10-18-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oscs
Blown as in Turbo or super charger?
Sorry meant blower as in supercharged
Old 10-18-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the Kooks True Duals on the Formula. It is loud but at least it is out the back. I haven't driven it as I am upgrading some other things before I cruise it. The dogs across the so called lake behind my house go crazy when I fire it up but I think it is the F1C whine more than the exhaust.

SLP True Dual set up was quieter on the SS but there is no way it would flow what this one will IMO.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience with 700 RWHP in my supercharged Z with Kooks LTs, custom ORY, and Borla, if you have a free flowing system (as in one putting down that kind of power), its going to be LOUD.

I ran into this problem when I upgraded heads to AFR 227's and jumped up to 700 at the tires. Just idling and normal driving was WAY too much. Would literally set off car alarms by idling by. I installed the closed plate in the borla forcing 100% of the exhaust to go through the muffler and it sounded much better, but it restricted me to more than 60 RWHP loss at the wheels. I then ventured to the cutout option. Opened them up when I wanted to go fast, closed them when I wanted to enjoy normal driving.

I'll see if I can post a video of the WOT with them open.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CALL911
From my experience with 700 RWHP in my supercharged Z with Kooks LTs, custom ORY, and Borla, if you have a free flowing system (as in one putting down that kind of power), its going to be LOUD.

I ran into this problem when I upgraded heads to AFR 227's and jumped up to 700 at the tires. Just idling and normal driving was WAY too much. Would literally set off car alarms by idling by. I installed the closed plate in the borla forcing 100% of the exhaust to go through the muffler and it sounded much better, but it restricted me to more than 60 RWHP loss at the wheels. I then ventured to the cutout option. Opened them up when I wanted to go fast, closed them when I wanted to enjoy normal driving.

I'll see if I can post a video of the WOT with them open.
Do you have dual cutouts or single and where are they located ?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have dual cutouts or single and where are they located ?
Dual, and they are located 8-12" back from the collector.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed the closed plate in the borla forcing 100% of the exhaust to go through the muffler and it sounded much better, but it restricted me to more than 60 RWHP loss at the wheels. I then ventured to the cutout option. Opened them up when I wanted to go fast, closed them when I wanted to enjoy normal driving.
I've seen a couple people put an electric cutout in place of the restrictor plates. Might be an idea so it's not dumped under the car.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
I've seen a couple people put an electric cutout in place of the restrictor plates. Might be an idea so it's not dumped under the car.
They make a kit specific for the borla to do just that. But you have to understand that its a single cutout system instead of a dual, and the cutout is near the end of the exhaust instead of shortly after the collectors like I have. For the OP wanting to make that much power, I would recommend going with duals, and the closer forward the better.

But, for someone with much less power just wanting the same system, I would agree that it makes a great setup.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

To clarify I mean supercharged cars

Want to keep it a street car, so no dumps. I like my Magnaflow catback, sounds good, and quiet enough for cruising. But will most likely be a restriction near 800rwhp.

What are guys running ?

Sounds like the Kooks TD's are a bit loud.
Cutouts seem to be the way to go, but single cutout, dual cutouts ?

Results, photos ?

You mention cat-backs....

So you're still running cats ? You also dont mention what diameter ? Single or dual ?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You mention cat-backs....

So you're still running cats ? You also dont mention what diameter ? Single or dual ?
No cats, just the single 3" Magnaflow kit for 4th gens. The muffler is 3" in, dual 2.5" out.

Do you need to have the cutouts a certain distance from the collectors to not affect wideband readings ?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make a kit specific for the borla to do just that. But you have to understand that its a single cutout system instead of a dual, and the cutout is near the end of the exhaust instead of shortly after the collectors like I have. For the OP wanting to make that much power, I would recommend going with duals, and the closer forward the better.

But, for someone with much less power just wanting the same system, I would agree that it makes a great setup.
Do you know who makes it? I am wanting to do this on my Borla? Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

No cats, just the single 3" Magnaflow kit for 4th gens. The muffler is 3" in, dual 2.5" out.

Do you need to have the cutouts a certain distance from the collectors to not affect wideband readings ?
Ahh right, can you go to proper dual 3" ?

I would ensure the cutouts are further away than 12-14" or so from the open air.

Usually only of concern at idle etc low speed operation. Once up the revs there would be no chance of fresh air finding it's way to the sensor anyway

Quick Reply: Exhaust for Blown Street Cars ?