Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When does the meth come on? How much are you spraying and is it progressive. I can't see timing bending rods especially with the bearings looking good. Is your meth system still good? Pump make proper pressure, solenoids working properly if your using them. I'm very interested, I have the same engine/cpu combo ready to replace my 5.3.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chiaj144
When does the meth come on? How much are you spraying and is it progressive. I can't see timing bending rods especially with the bearings looking good. Is your meth system still good? Pump make proper pressure, solenoids working properly if your using them. I'm very interested, I have the same engine/cpu combo ready to replace my 5.3.
Meth starts at 100kpa and progresses up to 10% of total fuel flow. I assume its working as the water/meth mixture is dropping in the tank.

Good point though. For some reason the datalogger shows up to 40% of actual injection????? It ran too good for 40%. Unless the DL means 40% of the water/meth total capacity.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
To much boost on pump fuel with that compression.

Enough to bend a PM rod, but not hurt a piston? Ive run 14 PSI on a stock 6.0 with a cam and pump/meth in a fullsize truck. he is still beating the heck out of it.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR-ejfa1l5.png

this is the timing table i have in the 403+s484 billet car that does 923 on pumpgas.

unsure what the issue is here, maybe high compression or just great power?
i didnt get to read the whole thread, i just had a request for a timing table haha have time to throw it in here quick for help
Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

I kind of have a hard time believing it bent them just from power. I am running 17psi on an LQ4 with the weaker rods and haven't had a problem yet. Same AF and peak timing. It's also in a heavier car with straight 91 pump gas.

Would peak torque still be at 4500 even though you aren't at full boost?

I guess the only other differences are that I have my rev limit set at 6300 and my timing is a little more conservative while building boost. Also smaller turbo I would assume, since I'm at full boost by 3500.

Last edited by LSChevelle; 10-20-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Meth starts at 100kpa and progresses up to 10% of total fuel flow. I assume its working as the water/meth mixture is dropping in the tank.

Good point though. For some reason the datalogger shows up to 40% of actual injection????? It ran too good for 40%. Unless the DL means 40% of the water/meth total capacity.
I was just wondering. If your meth kit dumped in too much, maybe it didn't burn it all. Maybe a weak set of coils on that bank and too much water/meth and it tweaked the rods. All long shots considering the car was running well. Just throwing ideas out there. I don't start to inject my meth until 9psi but mine isn't progressive either.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sounds like u found the do not cross point for your setup. I'd drop 5 deg. at peak torque and try again. As someone else mentioned verify timing sync. Find TDC with a piston stop. Mark crank, then when u press on balancer mark it as close as possible to mark on crank. I've seen some off as far as 5 degrees.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Agreed^^^^^. I would never run an engine without marking TDC during assembly. How the hell do you time it? You need to verify the timing an pull out a couple degrees. Too much timing with too much compression/boost and ignition cutoff on the limiter with fuel/water/meth still flowing is a recipe for disaster. I'd rather pull 2 degrees of timing out of it above 100kpa and not worry about the power loss. Figure the meth and fuel to cut out when you're on the limiter, but by all means, verify TDC and verify the timing.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Is verifying timing a requirement with the Holley EFI?
I would assume that the system gets the timing pretty dang accurate unless the reluctor wheel was installed incorrectly at the factory.

So question. If it's off, how do you correct it?

Also, I don't believe the factory balancer has any marks on it for timing. There is also no timing tab......
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah

this is the timing table i have in the 403+s484 billet car that does 923 on pumpgas.

unsure what the issue is here, maybe high compression or just great power?
i didnt get to read the whole thread, i just had a request for a timing table haha have time to throw it in here quick for help
Thanks Matt for the timing table. Interestingly I have just abit more timing at low boost but "dump" it faster than you did. You actually have a bit more timing than I do at higher boost levels.

I can't see how an extra .5 of compression can cause an issue but again, I aint seeing any deto. Now I'm wondering if there was too much water/meth but you would need a sh!tload of the stuff to hydrolock it I would think.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Sounds like u found the do not cross point for your setup. I'd drop 5 deg. at peak torque and try again. As someone else mentioned verify timing sync. Find TDC with a piston stop. Mark crank, then when u press on balancer mark it as close as possible to mark on crank. I've seen some off as far as 5 degrees.
Originally Posted by 3 window
Agreed^^^^^. I would never run an engine without marking TDC during assembly. How the hell do you time it? You need to verify the timing an pull out a couple degrees. Too much timing with too much compression/boost and ignition cutoff on the limiter with fuel/water/meth still flowing is a recipe for disaster. I'd rather pull 2 degrees of timing out of it above 100kpa and not worry about the power loss. Figure the meth and fuel to cut out when you're on the limiter, but by all means, verify TDC and verify the timing.
I'm just not convinced I'm seeing deto at this point due to timing. Not being argumentative, just throwing thoughts out there.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Datalog and the timing table of that last run:

Attached Thumbnails LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR-timing.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When does your meth start spraying? where is your boost referenced?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it wasn't detonation but it was just a hair too much cylinder pressure because of a few degrees too much timing even at low boost? Maybe the old "don't pull timing until past 5psi" or whatever it is is always with a bigger cam that bleeds off a little pressure and allows that, but your tiny cam keeps the cylinder higher.

Hydrolocking it seems really unlikely and detonation seems impossible, stock pistons come apart way too easily for the rods to bend and the pistons to look perfect.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I would assume that the system gets the timing pretty dang accurate unless the reluctor wheel was installed incorrectly at the factory.

Also, I don't believe the factory balancer has any marks on it for timing. There is also no timing tab......
Another way to mark balancer is use piston stop find true tdc, make you a timing pointer coming off of timing cover bolt and where ever its pointing on the balancer now will be 0 mark so scribe your balancer here. Only when you remove the balancer your mark will move so you will have to make you a new 0 mark when reinstalling balancer unless you set engine at tdc and line up balancer with pointer when reinstalling. Now you can check map sensor at idle and watch your timing change with pressure change. Check zero sync etc...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

pretty much my thoughts. But the heads are off and easy to check for TDC at this point.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
When does your meth start spraying? where is your boost referenced?
Starts coming in at 100kpa and then ramps up. If up you mean where the map sensor is hooked-up to is right off the intake. If you mean the boost controller its hooked right to the turbo.

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
Maybe it wasn't detonation but it was just a hair too much cylinder pressure because of a few degrees too much timing even at low boost? Maybe the old "don't pull timing until past 5psi" or whatever it is is always with a bigger cam that bleeds off a little pressure and allows that, but your tiny cam keeps the cylinder higher.

Hydrolocking it seems really unlikely and detonation seems impossible, stock pistons come apart way too easily for the rods to bend and the pistons to look perfect.
Pretty much where I'm leaning to at this point. Between the smallish cam, higher compression etc. Matt is running more timing than me though where I thought it counts more so. I'm just going to have to back the timing off for now. Also going to disconnect the water injec as the IAT's are never above 130 even in the heat.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Run better fuel. I'm pushing 17 psi (backed it down from 20 due to inadequate fuel system) through an 02 LQ9 with 212 cam, 10.6:1 compression @ 5000 lbs. 14.5*. 1 part E85: 1 part 93. I think your tune is pretty good and probably not the culprit.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing looks a little aggressive around pk tq for that combo on shitty fuel. Could have just got screwed at the pump and getting 87 when you paid for premium. It happens more often than you think. One reason I don't push hard on pump gas. I've got a reliable 12 psi tune in my truck that I drive daily and once in awhile I get a bad tank of fuel and can hear it ping. I've also had tanks that will take 16psi. You never know what you are going to get out of these pumps.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock48
Timing looks a little aggressive around pk tq for that combo on shitty fuel. Could have just got screwed at the pump and getting 87 when you paid for premium. It happens more often than you think. One reason I don't push hard on pump gas. I've got a reliable 12 psi tune in my truck that I drive daily and once in awhile I get a bad tank of fuel and can hear it ping. I've also had tanks that will take 16psi. You never know what you are going to get out of these pumps.
I was running 12psi for a while until the 16psi snafu. Think I will leave the 16psi for track days. 12psi is practically useless around town anyway.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

You can get #1 on tdc, connect anything (like a coat hanger) off of a timing cover bolt or wherever, run it over the balancer and take a silver sharpie or something and mark the balancer directly beneath it. Unplug your injector harness and set cranking timing to 0 in the ecu, have someone turn the motor over while you hold a timing light on it. If it is off it won't show how much but will give you a ballpark idea. They sell tape you can wrap around the balancer if you wanted to but this is just a cheap easy check. The holley has an offset you can adjust, but you have to key off/key on for the changes to take effect.

Quick Reply: LQ9 bent rods at 16psi/12*/11.5AFR