Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo selection for 88mm, what is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo selection for 88mm, what is the best?

The big names are Precision, Garret, and Borg Warner.

Borg Warner seems to be the best value. My problem is the S500 is friggin huge, and there doesn't seem to be many (I didn't find any looking on here for a little while) people on here running it with, and I'm looking for some experience.

Precision was the one I was leaning towards with the PT4788, but Precisions customer service is lousy, and after some recent threads, I am starting to loose faith in their turbos quality, even though the local people I know running them have not had issues.

Garrets GT47-88 seems good, but is most expensive out of the three. The GT50-88 is a much better price, but at that point I am not sure the size difference between the GT50 and the S500, and as this will be going in my 4th gen Camaro, space is limited.

My goals for the car power wise will be 800 RWHP the majority of the time on the street, cranking it up to 1,000 RWHP when I want to show off or go all out. This is a street car first and foremost, but I will take it to the track, so good driving mannerisms and reliability come first.

Opinions?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motor ci ?? auto or manual ??? determines a lot so you can match turbine wheel size to suit
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ittwgn
motor ci ?? auto or manual ??? determines a lot so you can match turbine wheel size to suit
383, and 6-speed.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

if you want 800 to 1000 why are you looking for an 88? billet s480 will do the trick just fine and is smaller than the gt50 and s500. you could even go with the 84mm unit and I beleive it's the same price. contact forced inductions
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slowlsx
if you want 800 to 1000 why are you looking for an 88? billet s480 will do the trick just fine and is smaller than the gt50 and s500. you could even go with the 84mm unit and I beleive it's the same price. contact forced inductions
Agreed ^^^^^^

The S488 is rated at 1550 hp and it's a 400 chassis not 500. If you only want 1000 to the wheels cranked up even the cast wheel S475 is rated at 1050 to the wheels and people have made 1289 hp to the wheels with a billet S480.

X2 on calling Forced Inductions. They will hook you up with no guessing.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

*sigh, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into another one of those threads where people offer advice on other options rather than info for the specific questions asked.

Let's just say I want to go the 88mm route.

Which one would you then pick and why?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

well that is because you have 17 posts. judging by your post count you don't really know much and you should be learning not dead set on an 88. sounds like you want an 88 for the cool factor because if you want 1k hp and we are telling you that you can make it on a smaller wheel why would you go bigger?

fyi, 76-80mm billet wheel technology is steadily improving and being revised. there is not even an 88mm billet wheel in s400 trim that can out run a billet 80-84 ETR-HO. but hey of you want an 88 then go for it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
*sigh, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into another one of those threads where people offer advice on other options rather than info for the specific questions asked.

Let's just say I want to go the 88mm route.

Which one would you then pick and why?
People are offering different options because the ones you have presented... don't match up to the goals you stated in the last paragraph.

S500 is equal to a Gt55... it is on a completely different chassis than the Gt47 you mention in the same breath.... the 500 has a 111mm inducer turbine wheel and the GT47 has a 92mm inducer wheel.... two completely different animals for two completely different applications. The S500 turbo shouldn't even be a considered unit since you have a Manual transmission and make the statement that driveability mannerisms are first on your list.

You are contradicting yourself with that statement anyway.... People are giving you options that better fit your stated requirements and goals than what you have presented. a Billet 76mm S400 can meet your power goals and have less rotating mass in the turbo than the 4788's you mentioned which will provide better driveability mannerisms and spool response than any of the 88s.... You did state that those are first and foremost on your list.

Personally imo... a Billet 80mm or 84mm S400 with a 96mm turbine and a 1.10 T6 housing is what you should be looking at. It makes the power you want to make... Will meet your goals for driveability... and its cheaper than any of the other turbo's that you listed.

So whats more important? having an 88mm inducer turbo to brag about... or the way the car drives?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

s484 billet turbo from forced induction is really nice, we just put one on my friend marks car. you can get it from lil john ^
Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Ls2. Comp cam. Arp studs.lsx 102. Id1000's. E85. Billet wheel bullseye with t4. . 726 at the wheels at only 8psi
Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Don't just buy the biggest turbo. That mite be cool to say hey I got a basketball size turbo but it won't make you the fastest. Match your turbo to your motor so it all works well together and not just to impress your friends. . But hey not my car or money but why would you buy all that turbo when you ain't gonna use it Yahoo know? **** if you need to blow some money I need some new tires!! Jk
Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Funny I wasn't aware your post count directly reflected how knowledgable you were. I could have 10,000 posts and all that really means in the end is that I have posted 10,000 times.

I was hoping that by saying I just wanted info on the 88mm turbos would be sufficient, but looks like I need to reason why.

I know I could make my power goals with a smaller turbo. But I could make them with less boost and less effort on the larger 88mm turbo with room to spare for more power.

Thanks for the info on the S500. That's one I knew the least about and wanted more info on more than the others.

Any more info on the 88mm turbos would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny I wasn't aware your post count directly reflected how knowledgable you were. I could have 10,000 posts and all that really means in the end is that I have posted 10,000 times.

I was hoping that by saying I just wanted info on the 88mm turbos would be sufficient, but looks like I need to reason why.

I know I could make my power goals with a smaller turbo. But I could make them with less boost and less effort on the larger 88mm turbo with room to spare for more power.

Thanks for the info on the S500. That's one I knew the least about and wanted more info on more than the others.

Any more info on the 88mm turbos would be appreciated.
Unfortunately there's a bit more to it then the way you are thinking. Getting into the sweet spot of the turbos compressor map is the way to make the most out of whatever turbo you decide to get.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Unfortunately there's a bit more to it then the way you are thinking. Getting into the sweet spot of the turbos compressor map is the way to make the most out of whatever turbo you decide to get.
Okay explain?

What is the turbos "sweet spot"? I am guessing it is where it is at its peak efficiency. My GUESS, would be that at that given spot would not be at it max psi, but more so a lower level. Again, why I was thinking of getting the larger 88mm turbo and not having to max it, while leaving some HP on the table.

What would be the "sweet spot" of the GT47-88?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay explain?

What is the turbos "sweet spot"? I am guessing it is where it is at its peak efficiency. My GUESS, would be that at that given spot would not be at it max psi, but more so a lower level. Again, why I was thinking of getting the larger 88mm turbo and not having to max it, while leaving some HP on the table.

What would be the "sweet spot" of the GT47-88?
you cant go wrong with the gt47-88...thats a bad bitch
Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 AM
11 Second Club

Read throught the turbo tech expert provided by Garrett

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...bo_tech_expert
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

LJMS has some good opinions, don't forget probably more important is the turbine wheel. LJMS is suggesting a turbo with a 96mm turbine wheel, the GT4788 is a 92 and the GT50 is a 111mm.

GT4788 is a older design ok choice for a small V8, GT50 awesome turbo but the turbine wheel is suited for large 400+ci motors and automatics. The BW is just right with a 96mm, plus it's newer design wheels. It's a badass turbo and LJMS has put them on cars that embarrass bigger turbos.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LJMSJohn
People are offering different options because the ones you have presented... don't match up to the goals you stated in the last paragraph.

S500 is equal to a Gt55... it is on a completely different chassis than the Gt47 you mention in the same breath.... the 500 has a 111mm inducer turbine wheel and the GT47 has a 92mm inducer wheel.... two completely different animals for two completely different applications. The S500 turbo shouldn't even be a considered unit since you have a Manual transmission and make the statement that driveability mannerisms are first on your list.

You are contradicting yourself with that statement anyway.... People are giving you options that better fit your stated requirements and goals than what you have presented. a Billet 76mm S400 can meet your power goals and have less rotating mass in the turbo than the 4788's you mentioned which will provide better driveability mannerisms and spool response than any of the 88s.... You did state that those are first and foremost on your list.

Personally imo... a Billet 80mm or 84mm S400 with a 96mm turbine and a 1.10 T6 housing is what you should be looking at. It makes the power you want to make... Will meet your goals for driveability... and its cheaper than any of the other turbo's that you listed.

So whats more important? having an 88mm inducer turbo to brag about... or the way the car drives?
I am still learning. Thank you for your input.

I really like BW turbos, and if I find one that will work, I would be happy purchasing it.

The problem with the BW turbos are the housing sizes. I am confident I just won't have the room for a T6 flange. I could barely fit a T4.

I want to be able to make 1,000 without giving up too much driveability. I have 8.8:1 CR and want to keep it meth plus pump gas and an FMIC. Is there an S400 model that can do all of this for me?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

I am still learning. Thank you for your input.

I really like BW turbos, and if I find one that will work, I would be happy purchasing it.

The problem with the BW turbos are the housing sizes. I am confident I just won't have the room for a T6 flange. I could barely fit a T4.

I want to be able to make 1,000 without giving up too much driveability. I have 8.8:1 CR and want to keep it meth plus pump gas and an FMIC. Is there an S400 model that can do all of this for me?
you can get the 96mm turbine wheel in a T4 housing, I know better than to give specifics but I'm sure LJMS can easily get you 1000rwhp in that turbo.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to jump on the band wagon here, but I agree, you should not be set on an 88mm.

But I will answer your question. A GTX4718R 88mm would be my choice because you have a manual. 1000whp would be in its efficiently range, but you would definitely not be maxing it out.

Quick Reply: Turbo selection for 88mm, what is the best?