Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What to be done to the factory LS1 for boost?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What to be done to the factory LS1 for boost?

I was looking at getting a L33 5.3 for my wifes Formula in my sig over the winter then just doing a cheap JY turbo build.

I was thinking that with it setup properly without touching the stock 5.3, she could get away with around 600 RWHP on pump gas with meth injection and a large FMIC safely for more than a few years without problem.

NOW, she is thinking that just may not be enough power (lol, I love my wife). So, she is asking what would be needed for closer to 800 RWHP. I told her to do it right, she would need new forged pistons to lower the CR, rods, and bearings, head studs. On top of the $1,000 the low mileage L33 will cost shipped to my door, the additional cost for parts and labor will be around $2700 I estimate, bringing the motor total to $3700. At THAT point, it got me thinking about just rebuilding her existing stock bottom end LS1.

Its got 127,XXX miles on it, and still runs fine. The same would need to be done to her engine to take the boost (pistons, rods, bolts, bearings, and head studs). But at that point, I have more cubes, and saved $1,000 on the 5.3.

My question is, at that point would the engine be considered rebuilt? Would I be fine running 800 to the wheels on the higher mileage LS1 if I replaced the rods, pistons, bearings, and head studs?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you will be, as thats what im doing, not as high mileage but if u get it rebuilt right you should be fine, ill let you know what kind of power i make on my forged ls1, putting a t4 88mm on it and i plan on making 8-900 wheel safely

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to be done to the factory LS1 for boost?