Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

help with turbo choice for a rear mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with turbo choice for a rear mount

I have a 98 camaro ls1 6 speed with a sts turbo kit with there base turbo which is 60 mm .81 hotside non intercooled kit but running methanol running 10 psi right now and Makin right under 500rwhp on a bone stock motor conservative tune I currently am putting a built motor in it it's a 347 forged 9.8:1 compression fast 92/92 fully ported 5.3 heads that flow 300 cfm custom grind cam so i am shooting for somewhere around 700 to 800rwhp so i was wanting some Input with ppl on here that run rear mount setups with close to the same power I am wanting to achieve wat size would work the best and I am also running long tube headers 3 in y pipe to a 2.5 single pipe the rest the way back to turbo all wrapped and blanket.

Would appreciate some feed back thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search for "Zombie rear mount turbo saga" on this site. Lots of good info. The long tubes need to go. Retaining heat in the pipes/ exhaust system is especially important in a rear mount setup. If you figure out how to do this, a large turbo will spool and make the lower you are looking for. Cast manifolds or wrapped shorty headers, wrapped and/ or coated piping, and properly sized tubing will make this work. A twin scroll turbo housing with a quick spool valve will also help a lot.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running an oiless on mine but its a front mount . Would be great for the rear mount guys so you can ditch the oil pump
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
I'm running an oiless on mine but its a front mount . Would be great for the rear mount guys so you can ditch the oil pump
What's your combo? What specifics on the turbo? What kind of power are you making?

I'm in the process of setting up a rear mount using the 78/79 Comp oil less turbo. It certainly takes a major flaw of the rear mount setup out of the equation (oil return pump).

Quick Reply: help with turbo choice for a rear mount